FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rebuilding An Alternator.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys:

I currently have an alternator in my char that has been whining for about a year now and I'm getting a little tired of waiting for it to fry. My dash dims when I'm running several accessories (defroster, fog lights, stereo, etc.) Now I'm noticing the heat in the car SUCKS. When I give the car gas, I can hear the vents push out more air.

So I have an alternator in my garage that needs to be rebuilt (It's scooba's old one)
I want to rebuild it, and have it installed in the spring (Burnin'21 can you help me? :lol: )
Does anyone know of a place in the Burlington Oakville area that can do this? And how much does it cost?

Thanks guys.

A.
ANTHONYD,Mar 24 2008, 10:10 AM Wrote:Hey guys:

I currently have an alternator in my char that has been whining for about a year now and I'm getting a little tired of waiting for it to fry. My dash dims when I'm running several accessories (defroster, fog lights, stereo, etc.) Now I'm noticing the heat in the car SUCKS. When I give the car gas, I can hear the vents push out more air.

So I have an alternator in my garage that needs to be rebuilt (It's scooba's old one)
I want to rebuild it, and have it installed in the spring (Burnin'21 can you help me? :lol: )
Does anyone know of a place in the Burlington Oakville area that can do this? And how much does it cost?

Thanks guys.

A.
[right][snapback]260461[/snapback][/right]

don't get a rebilt one, when I had to replace my alternator, I got one from parts source, and the rebuilt ones cost more then the new ones, and the new ones come with the life time warentee. I had to change my alternator back in early jan.
Frost__2001,Mar 24 2008, 10:30 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Mar 24 2008, 10:10 AM Wrote:Hey guys:

Thanks guys.

A.
[right][snapback]260461[/snapback][/right]

Seriously?
How much was a new one?

don't get a rebilt one, when I had to replace my alternator, I got one from parts source, and the rebuilt ones cost more then the new ones, and the new ones come with the life time warentee. I had to change my alternator back in early jan.
[right][snapback]260464[/snapback][/right]
I'll second that Anthony, when I had my Taurus back in the day I went through three CT rebuilt alternators in the space of three months before they finally installed one that didn't self destruct <_<

NefCanuck
i also just ended up putting in a new ford one. this was after getting my old one rebuilt (fail) and another rebuilt one installed (also fail). mind you i had other issues that were contributing to it. I find that the focus doesnt like rebuilt alternators.
sorry I couldn't reply earlier, I'm at work right now. but here you go.

Part Source quoted me the following

New: $310 plus taxes, life time warentee
rebuilt: $340 plus taxes, 1 year warentee
unless you plan on rebuilding it yourself.
FocusGuy7476,Mar 24 2008, 01:02 PM Wrote:unless you plan on rebuilding it yourself.
[right][snapback]260475[/snapback][/right]

i think that's what he's talking about guys..not buying a re-built one..re building scooba's old one...
smith21,Mar 24 2008, 01:34 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Mar 24 2008, 01:02 PM Wrote:unless you plan on rebuilding it yourself.
[right][snapback]260475[/snapback][/right]

i think that's what he's talking about guys..not buying a re-built one..re building scooba's old one...
[right][snapback]260479[/snapback][/right]

Yes.
I have scooba's old one.
I want to take it into an automotive electrical place and say "rebuild this"
I know theres a place near St Clair and Keele That specializes in rebuilidng Alternators there great with eletrical stuff but not sure what there warannty is like and i don't know what there called either if ur really interested ill take a drive by and take down the name and number
You can buy rebuild kits for about $40 - $50, and they usually include new bearings, brushes, rectifier, etc... Doing it yourself shouldn't be too difficult (special tools notwithstanding).
Anthony,

What did you do with that number I gave you for the guy that rebuilt my alternator? He built me a 160amp for $160, so why is a rebuildt one $340? Thats cracked people. Anyways, here it is for the 50th time :P

Oakville Starter and Alternator
427 Speers Rd. Oakville
(905) 827-1331

Oh yea not to mention he had it back to me next day. Sometimes he can do it in an afternoon if hes not busy. As for the install, no problemo Anthony just let me know when. Send a PM :)
i second what burnin21 said, that place in oakville is good, and theres also a place in mississauga at mavis and wolfdale called mississauga alternator, i've used them a few times and they haven't let me down yet

when you have your old one out, check the wires going into the plug in the back of the alt. ... i had a wire come lose on me and it was causing the alt. to fail and overcharge sometimes ... its a $45 plug from ford too :(

i also have a spare alt. if anyone is interested in it ... i actually thing its still in good working order, just suggest getting it tested first
schade,Mar 25 2008, 01:43 AM Wrote:when you have your old one out, check the wires going into the plug in the back of the alt. ... i had a wire come lose on me and it was causing the alt. to fail and overcharge sometimes ... its a $45 plug from ford too :(
[right][snapback]260539[/snapback][/right]

its a bit of an expensive fix, i learned the hard way on that but i didn't have to pay for a new battery.