FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Looking At A New Mountainbike...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I dream and then I dream a little more about getting another mountain bike...

I've been riding my '96 Cannondale for nearly 13 years now, and while it still holds up well, I'm looking for something a bit more cushier for a 24 hour race I'm doing later this year...

Right now I'm looking at a Giant Trance 1 ..
[Image: 2008_Trance-X1-Gray-Anodized.jpg]

I've heard great things about these bikes.. they don't look pretty, but are cheaper than a Santa Cruz Blur, and it should come in merely 5 lbs or so heavier than my cannondale... and I think it'll hold my weight.

Anyone else try out this bike yet -- or have compared it to a Santa Cruz Blur... I'm curious how it stacks up.

Of course, before I can get that bike, I may have to get the GF a real bike... I'm thinking... Yukon -- lighter frame, good standover for the short girl...

[Image: YUKON-Brushed-Black.jpg]
Nice choice, DP. I've been out of the game for far too long to make any serious recommendations.

I really need something new this year and better than the CCM beater I have.
so how much is this bike? around 5gz?

i always thought those professional bikes are so over priced....but whatever floats your boat DP
NikiterZTS,Mar 20 2008, 03:15 PM Wrote:so how much is this bike?  around 5gz?

i always thought those professional bikes are so over priced....but whatever floats your boat DP
[right][snapback]260314[/snapback][/right]

MSRP is about $2500-$3000.

There's a lot of technology required to make these bikes efficient... and when you get something that's properly setup, it's a bike that'll be fun to ride forever (like my c-dale).

but you're right to a point... cheap bikes have zero markup... a $500 bike has barely a $100 in it for the shop... the expensive bikes tend to have 50-60% markup between the manufacturer and your door.

And it would have gotten worse if Trek's price fixing scheme a few years back actually worked.
Needs a photochopped banana seat.
meford4u,Mar 20 2008, 03:24 PM Wrote:Needs a photochopped banana seat.
[right][snapback]260316[/snapback][/right]

sorta like the old "full suspension" bmx bikes of yesteryear?

[Image: 73side9_lg.jpg]
darkpuppet,Mar 20 2008, 02:22 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Mar 20 2008, 03:15 PM Wrote:so how much is this bike?   around 5gz?

[right][snapback]260314[/snapback][/right]

MSRP is about $2500-$3000.

There's a lot of technology required to make these bikes efficient... and when you get something that's properly setup, it's a bike that'll be fun to ride forever (like my c-dale).

but you're right to a point... cheap bikes have zero markup... a $500 bike has barely a $100 in it for the shop... the expensive bikes tend to have 50-60% markup between the manufacturer and your door.

And it would have gotten worse if Trek's price fixing scheme a few years back actually worked.
[right][snapback]260315[/snapback][/right]

3 grand eh..............i thought u wanted to put S/C into your stang :)

by the way are u selling your old bike now?
It's amazing what the law of supply and demand does to the price of those things. Before my accident, I was looking at the price of a senior's bike for myself (The three wheeled variety as I don't have the balance necessary to ride a two wheeler)

They wanted $1G and this was in 1999! I nearly fainted

NefCanuck
Don't know much about bikes really, but..

I got a Giant Yukon way back around 98-99 for about $400. The only maintenance that its ever needed so far was tires/tubes, and I usually get it tuned every spring.

I've beaten the crap out of it, and its never given me any grief.

I think it was a pretty good investment considering its never had any mechanical failures over all these years.

Hope that helps with your decision a bit.
NikiterZTS,Mar 20 2008, 03:37 PM Wrote:3 grand eh..............i thought u wanted to put S/C into your stang :)

by the way are u selling your old bike now?
[right][snapback]260318[/snapback][/right]

I can get the bike for about 1/3rd that -- as certain bike frame designers owe me a favour or two (hehe)...

so it's a lot cheaper than supercharging the stang... for now...

I doubt I'll sell my other bike. It has more miles on it than my focus did, and has a sentimental value... and it's set up to go fast when I need to commute somewhere in a hurry. That and I put more money into that bike than I'd ever get back, so it's not worth selling (yes, somethings have worse depreciation than the focus)...
I did the same thing with my old KHS Montana Pro...I invested a lot of money into it with different parts now and then, and it was/is a 1993-1994 framed bike (MBA Bike of the year like 2 years in a row at the time...). It got too tired on me though, and it would have cost more money to overhaul it, than to buy a new bike spec'd to the same level. So, I went out and spent an extra few hundred, and got myself a 2006-2007 KHS Alite 2000...I love hardtails, and preffer to ride X-country singletrack with them.

Hope your search/purchase goes well...
Nice! I've always wanted a Fox Float on my bike... not just because they look cool or anything... lol
darkpuppet,Mar 20 2008, 07:22 PM Wrote:MSRP is about $2500-$3000.

holy sh1t :blink:

i paid $3000 for an '03 Ninja 500R with 800 miles on the odometer... and a BICYCLE is the same price..

wow :blink:
naz,Mar 20 2008, 07:20 PM Wrote:

i paid $3000 for an '03 Ninja 500R with 800 miles on the odometer... and a BICYCLE is the same price..

[right][snapback]260348[/snapback][/right]
'

yeeep....exectly my point.......

but u can't really work out on the motorcycle ;)
Found one for Ya'

[Image: felt3.jpg]
naz,Mar 20 2008, 08:20 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]260348[/snapback][/right]

well, it takes a lot longer for me to reach 90KPh on a mountainbike -- so the chances of me killing myself are slightly less.

When I can ride a mountain bike for a couple years without falling, maybe I'll consider a motorbike.
darkpuppet,Mar 20 2008, 10:18 AM Wrote:I've been riding my '96 Cannondale for nearly 13 years now, and while it still holds up well,

i guess thats not long enough to learn NOT to fall :lol:
i think biking is way more dangerous. the height from falling from a MC and a bicycle is the same (and most of the hurt from a fall is from the height) and i wear thick leathers with impact absorbing armor inserts and a full face helmet. people on bicycles wear..... spandex?

you can get serious road rash from a 15mph spill.. and you can easily achieve that speed on a bicycle..

i dunno bicycles seem to have all of the risk of motorcycling (and all of the cost of motorcycling) without the protection or the fun

EDIT: anyway.. good luck on the bike purchase.. where do you store the bicyclle.. i mean live again? i have a pair of bolt cutters i want to show you..... :ph34r:
naz,Mar 21 2008, 11:44 AM Wrote:i think biking is way more dangerous.  the height from falling from a MC and a bicycle is the same (and most of the hurt from a fall is from the height)  and i wear thick leathers with impact absorbing armor inserts and a full face helmet.  people on bicycles wear..... spandex?

you can get serious road rash from a 15mph spill.. and you can easily achieve that speed on a bicycle.. 

i dunno bicycles seem to have all of the risk of motorcycling (and all of the cost of motorcycling) without the protection or the fun

EDIT:  anyway.. good luck on the bike purchase.. where do you store the bicyclle.. i mean live again? i have a pair of bolt cutters i want to show you.....  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]260367[/snapback][/right]

lol what?

now imagine road rash from a 15mph spill and a road rash from a 115mph spill.....even leather wouldn't help
NikiterZTS,Mar 21 2008, 04:47 PM Wrote:lol what?

now imagine road rash from a 15mph spill and a road rash from a 115mph spill.....even leather wouldn't help
[right][snapback]260368[/snapback][/right]

trust me, if it was just sliding on the ground i would pick a 115mph slide in my leathers over a 15mph slide in my skin + spandex shorts ANY DAY.. i would have a solid shot at walking away fomr the MC slide with no injuries other than bruises.. on the bicycle slide there would be much skin loss

look at this

[Image: 180px-CrashedMotorcyclingRacingShoulderPanel.jpg]

source

that pic is of MC gear after a 100mph spill.. rider was bruised but no other damage. notice that skin would not be exposed in that situation.

but wait aren't you the guy who rides a mini moto in your Tshirt and shorts without a helmet? :ph34r: i guess you are not the guy to discuss MC safety gear with then... the gear that i use whenever i get on my MC will be fine for a 100mph slide. (i hope i never get to find out for real though!)

EDIT: in a MC crash the main danger is from hitting a solid object and from the initial fall from the bike (not an issue if you basically have your knee down already).. if its just a slide that is usually not a problem. modern MC leathers are awesome for abrasion protection

EDIT2: pics in the middle of this thread where someone got off his bike at 100mph and had no injuries other than a slightly bruised foot. so yea.. proper MC gear really DOES prevent road rash
Pages: 1 2