FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Liberals Propose Speed Limiters On Trucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Citynews.ca..

Quote:Bradley Resurrects Proposal To Make Speed Limiters Mandatory For Trucks
Wednesday March 19, 2008
The Canadian Press
Transportation Minister Jim Bradley is resurrecting a Liberal pledge to make speed limiters mandatory for big rigs travelling in the province.

A speed limiter is a built-in microchip that can preset a truck's speed, which would be capped at 105 kilometres per hour.

If passed, Bradley says the legislation would require that the devices be activated on Ontario's roads.

He says the program will help the province cut down on greenhouse gas emissions and improve safety on roads.

Bradley says more than half of Ontario's trucks are already voluntarily using speed limiters, and the vast majority of trucks built in the last decade are equipped with the technology.

His predecessor, Donna Cansfield, promised to make speed limiters mandatory this summer -- an idea the Liberals have been mulling for more than a year.

not sure I want a highway clogged with big rigs trying to pass each other with the 1km/h difference between speed limiters...
A few of our dump trucks have them, its a pain in the ass when you want to pass. As far as saving fuel..BS!! Our trucks are 15 speed going an extra 5-10km makes very little difference.
those bigrigs should just stay in the right lane lol.
in a copy of fast car magazine that i have it says the you will produce less emissions going 80mp/h than 10mp/h and sitting in traffic
Spinal,Mar 19 2008, 05:38 PM Wrote:those bigrigs should just stay in the right lane lol.
[right][snapback]260244[/snapback][/right]

I have no problem with them being in the middle lane to make room for merging traffic.

The problem I have is when they're 3 or 4 abreast on the 401, or trying to pass each other going up a mountainside in northwestern ontario. I know they're in as just a big a hurry as the rest of us, but c'mon... quit being dicks to each other AND everyone else.
Spinal,Mar 19 2008, 05:38 PM Wrote:those bigrigs should just stay in the right lane lol.
Sure, if you never want to merge on/off the highway.

Want to encourage safety and a clean environment, and to stop destroying the roads?

Make incentives to revive the rail transport system.

Problem solved.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 19 2008, 08:21 PM Wrote:
Sure, if you never want to merge on/off the highway.

Want to encourage safety and a clean environment, and to stop destroying the roads?

Make incentives to revive the rail transport system.

Problem solved.
[right][snapback]260259[/snapback][/right]

Good luck with that. Try to develop more rail = cutting down trees = pissing off more tree huggers.

Oscar The Grouch,Mar 19 2008, 10:11 PM Wrote:Good luck with that.  Try to develop more rail = cutting down trees = pissing off more tree huggers.
[right][snapback]260265[/snapback][/right]
"Revive" is not the same as "develop more".

The move away from rail comes in large part from manufacturers using the "just in time" delivery system. While this cuts down on inventory that needs warehousing, this system only works because fuel is cheap, roads are free, and because the trucking industry has become deregulated to the point that anyone that can point a rig down the highway can get a license.

That's the only plus with limiting the speed of trucks; when truck drivers can't drive like raped apes, the cost will have to go up -- because drivers get paid by the run now, not by the hour like the old days. That's why truck drivers drive like they do -- the more loads they run the more money they make. The rise in trucking costs may make manufacturers to start to weigh the cost effectiveness of rail vs truck.

The only issue that some treehuggers is that some rail lines have been converted to trails. But the remaining system is still underused; with the technology that exists now there is no reason that you cannot increase efficiency to make it a viable option.
Why not just train the truck operators on how to drive properly? My dad was a truck driver, and my brother is a truck driver. All trucks already have speed limiters on them, as do cars. Most of the issues with trucks is either the idiots driving cars are not realizing that trucks are a totally different type of vehicle, that can't stop, or maneuver like a car, or, like some idiot car drivers, idiot truck drivers who think they're Mario Andretti in a diesel. If we limit the speed of Ontario trucks, we will be castrating the drivers/operators who work out of province. Why not limit all vehicles speeds to 105, not just trucks?

Utilizing the rail system more effectively is also a great idea.

wow wow wow Limit all vehicles that would never fly. everyone does 120 on the highway