FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cracked Windshield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On Thursday I got the smallest stone chip in my windshield. I called Apple Auto Glass to get a quote on fixing it ($75). They were booked solid and said to call bak on Monday to book something for during the week. So now today (Monday) I was driving to work and CRACK! the snot chip turned into a crack that goes all the way across the windshield. I sent an email to my insurance broker to find out how to go about getting this repaired with my policy.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to their focus?

Where is a good place to go for Repair?

FocusFreak,Mar 17 2008, 08:28 AM Wrote:On Thursday I got the smallest stone chip in my windshield. I called Apple Auto Glass to get a quote on fixing it ($75). They were booked solid and said to call bak on Monday to book something for during the week. So now today (Monday) I was driving to work and CRACK! the snot chip turned into a crack that goes all the way across the windshield. I sent an email to my insurance broker to find out how to go about getting this repaired with my policy.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to their focus?

Where is a good place to go for Repair?
[right][snapback]260046[/snapback][/right]
Mine cracked last November. Started in the bottom middle, worked it's way up and over to the left. Insurance paid for it, except deductible. I went to Speedy Glass in Toronto. It'll be a day without your car, and a day with duct tape on the windshield, and a couple more before you can wash the car. Funny, the price I was quoted to get it done without insurance was almost half of what they billed the insurance company. :o
How was the install? I don't want there to be a spot that starts rusting down the road because of a bad seal. I had that problem with my old Golf. The back window was broken when it was getting tinted (whole other story) and eventually rotted prematurely because salt and water was able to sit in a spot where the replacement window wasn't sealed properly.

FocusFreak,Mar 17 2008, 09:21 AM Wrote:How was the install? I don't want there to be a spot that starts rusting down the road because of a bad seal. I had that problem with my old Golf. The back window was broken when it was getting tinted (whole other story) and eventually rotted prematurely because salt and water was able to sit in a spot where the replacement window wasn't sealed properly.
[right][snapback]260048[/snapback][/right]
So far so good......
I know with some glass shops like Apple, they offere a lifetime warentee on their work, so if your not happy with it they will replace it.
I've used standard auto glass when needed and been very satisfied. Forget the insurance company and just fork out your own $$$. It might raise your premiums and it may cost you less than paying your deductible. My deductible is set at $500 and my windshields are less than that.
meford4u,Mar 17 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:I've used standard auto glass when needed and been very satisfied.  Forget the insurance company and just fork out your own $$$.  It might raise your premiums and it may cost you less than paying your deductible.  My deductible is set at $500 and my windshields are less than that.
[right][snapback]260089[/snapback][/right]

Yup.

I had mine replaced last year.

I had a HUGE stone come off the back of one those "stone slinger" trucks with all the conveyer belts crack my windshield. Sounded like a freakin' gunshot. It woke me up for sure! :lol:

Pay for it out of your pocket. Your insurance co. will raise your premiums.
meford4u,Mar 17 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:I've used standard auto glass when needed and been very satisfied.  Forget the insurance company and just fork out your own $$$.  It might raise your premiums and it may cost you less than paying your deductible.  My deductible is set at $500 and my windshields are less than that.
[right][snapback]260089[/snapback][/right]
My deductible was $50.00. So, for me, it was cheaper to go with insurance. I asked my agent if it would raise my rates, and was told no, because it was the first claim on this vehicle.
I have Three Quotes

Apple Auto Glass $325 installed
Standard Auto Glass: $295 Installed
Amoco: $235 installed

Do you think I am better off going with a bigger name or are the independent guys good too?

I was going to go to Amoco because of price but now I am thinking I will go with Standard since they are a larger company and should back their work a little better. I am also worried about OEM replacement glass vs. off shore "Made in China" glass.

FocusFreak,Mar 18 2008, 09:38 AM Wrote:I have Three Quotes

Apple Auto Glass $325 installed
Standard Auto Glass:  $295 Installed
Amoco: $235 installed

Do you think I am better off going with a bigger name or are the independent guys good too?

I was going to go to Amoco because of price but now I am thinking I will go with Standard since they are a larger company and should back their work a little better. I am also worried about OEM replacement glass vs. off shore "Made in China" glass.
[right][snapback]260118[/snapback][/right]
What's the warranty? Check them out.....
Also, phone your insurance, and see who they would recommend.
What a disaster.

So I went to Amoco since they had a good price and they were just around the corner from my work and my cousin recommended it to me. My cousin had a few other cars fixed there and was happy.

Of course when I bring my car everything goes wrong. That seems to be the story of my life. I do almost all my own car repair and restoration work but sometimes I need to see a PROFESSIONAL for things like installing a windshield.

Anyway, I drop off the car in the morning and talk to the owner. He said it would be no problem and he keeps that glass in stock. There were 2 guys at the shop.... the owner and some other dopey guy with rotten teeth and bad jokes. Guess who ended up working on my car? You guessed it... Dopey. When I picked up the car the window was not sitting in properly at the top, there were huge scratches and cuts through the paint down to the metal almost all the way around the window. The guy also seemed to have ripped off part of my rain gutter molding (the small lip that tucks under the windshield rubber. Basically my car was in far far worse shape when I picked it up then when I dropped it off. I was very upset but had to be cool and professional about it. First I had to talk to the guy that did the install, then I talked to the owner. The owner was very upset about the install and said he was going to fix it for me.

So now I have to take the car back next week and he is going to remove the window, send the car to the body shop where they will fix up the gouges and scratches and then he will re-install the windshield (NOT DOPEY).

All I can say is this better work out. I also need him to replace the rain gutter molding too.

I am now thinking that after he fixes it up I should sell the car even tho I love it and have only had it for 3+ months. I just don't want any problems popping up around the window (rust) any time soon. That is why I bought the car... I already had a rusty old car. I am so pissed off.

At the end of the day it really all comes down to making a little effort, taking your time and doing a job right. There was no reason to hack up my car.

I took pictures and documented it. I am also going to go back to Ford and take some pictures of the way the stock glass looks and compare. I may also have my sales guy at ford check out what other cars he car get me in case I do decide to sell it.

Bah!

Stay Tuned...
Remember the old saying? You get what you pay for? Sorry to hear about your troubles. Make sure they fix it right next time and discuss with the owner about your rust concerns.
I just found out from my contact at Ford that the window molding and the rain gutter molding are 1 in the same. Can anyone else confirm this? He is faxing me the drawing from the parts department. I am building up my ammunition to take with me next week so it gets fixed properly.
They'll have to rip out the whole seal to replace the rain lip. It ain't an easy fix.

Should have taken it to one of the band name places. :(
that sucks man...

when I had my car broken into, my dealership sent me to the place they bought the glass from.

Dealership = $500 for front driver's window (zx5)
Glass place = $300 cash, installed in 15 minutes while I wait.
Well with my experience sometimes the name brand places have problems too. I had my rear window broken on my VW Golf in 2000 at Zebart when I brought it in for tinting. I went to a big name place to avoid any problems and that was a huge disaster, I had to bring it back 3 times after they brought the car somewhere to replace the glass and botched the install. I finally had to bite the bullet and pay someone else to re-install the glass at my own cost. The Hatch ended up rusting just as a figure it would down the road.

It really comes down to the person working on your car. Sometimes the good guys are at a small place and sometimes they are at the name brand place. All I can do now is see the results after next week. I am going to tell him what I expect when I pick up the car and it I am not happy I will request my money back and take the car somewhere else to be re-fitted with a new window.
Take a deep breath....

** WARNING - "Graphic Images Attached" **

Pics of the install on HotRodding.ca