FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: All Out Replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm in need of some new parts on the wagon.

She needs new CV joints, as there is clicking when driving in a straight line, and it's worse when turning. It's not loud right now, but gonna get worse. I assume the worn CV's account for the 'clunk' when I let the clutch out as well? Seems a lot of take-up.

She also needs new front bearings, as there is noise on turns.

So, while they do that, is it worth it, or easier to replace the drive shafts at same time (can they be bought as one unit, along with the tripod joint etc)?

Might as well have new front discs, as the brakes need doing soon too, so that will be done at same time.

And rear brakes, drums and new handbrake cable will be done too.

So, anything else I might want to do at the same time? This is going to be done by a garage (assuming the price is right - I'm expecting almost 3K), so i want to do everything I can in those areas while they have is apart.

Thanks.
You could replace your tie rods .....I dont see why you would replace your drive shafts unless they are warped in some way.
D-Dub,Mar 10 2008, 07: Wrote:You could replace your tie rods .....I dont see why you would replace your drive shafts unless they are warped in some way.
[right][snapback]259706[/snapback][/right]

Well, I was wondering if they might be the cause of the 'clunk' sound when I lift the clutch, but I'm thinking it's the CV's.

Hmmm, tie rods make sense, thanks.

Anything else?
check the front sway bar end links, one of the most notorious parts known to fail on a focus
Oh man my car clunks like a mutha when truning and going over bumps.
I'm sure it's the tie rods.
I should have the dealer replace those one day.
Anyone know how much it cost's t have those done?

ANTHONYD,Mar 11 2008, 08:55 AM Wrote:Oh man my car clunks like a mutha when truning and going over bumps.
[right][snapback]259738[/snapback][/right]

sounds more like end links to me
Wasn't there a post last year on upgraded end links that could take more of a beating? Monroes or something?

Depending on the mileage and the age of the car, you might just want to replace most of the front end if you plan on keeping it. And don't forget an alignment if you get that much work done!
NOS, I think they were Moogs, sourced from NAPA. I'll be buying some when it's warmer and installing them myself.

Not to highjack, but how many kms do most people get out of end links?

Ryan
im still on my first ones......221K
Just so you know, there are no driveshafts on a focus. There are axles, or drive axles but not driveshafts.

Not trying to sound sarcastic in pointing this out but one of the items we do here at work are driveshafts. Had a guy argue with me last week that his civic had had 2 drive shafts, when I pointed out that they were axles the line went suddenly quiet and then clicked when he hung up.

Axles are very much different from driveshafts just so you guys know.
ZX5focused,Mar 10 2008, 07:42 PM Wrote:check the front sway bar end links, one of the most notorious parts known to fail on a focus

Yup, did those last year to solve the clunking as I hit bumps, so not worried about them

NOS2Go4Me,Mar 11 2008, 10:16 AM Wrote:Wasn't there a post last year on upgraded end links that could take more of a beating? Monroes or something?

Depending on the mileage and the age of the car, you might just want to replace most of the front end if you plan on keeping it. And don't forget an alignment if you get that much work done!

Good point on the alignment! Car has about 120K on it...and if an engine change comes up later, so be it. So ya, night as well do it alllll!!!!!

focusracer,Mar 11 2008, 01:21 PM Wrote:Just so you know, there are no driveshafts on a focus. There are axles, or drive axles but not driveshafts.

Axles are very much different from driveshafts just so you guys know.
[right][snapback]259771[/snapback][/right]

Ya, no problem...they are drive axels...but I'm a Brit, and old habits.....

ZX5focused,Mar 11 2008, 10:00 AM Wrote:[quote=ANTHONYD,Mar 11 2008, 08:55 AM]Oh man my car clunks like a mutha when truning and going over bumps.
[right][snapback]259738[/snapback][/right]

Anthony, for the endlinks, it's about $38.00 a pair I think, and with a couple of wrenches, a jack, and some time, you can do them yourself easily enough.

I also intend to have timing belt, serpentine belt and water pump done...sigh....money money money
:lol:

[edit for fail at quoting!]