FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Microsoft Admits Vista Sucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mike Nash, says
"I now have a $2100 email machine."

VISTA SUX!!!
hehe I didn't need emails to tell me it sucked! They really screwed the pooch on it, but probably not as bad as Windows ME.
Vista is the reason that I bought a Mac.
Despite all it's faults, I have to give MS credit with vista... they made something the everyday user loves.

of course, they haven't mastered the simple art of keeping the window button controls failing to the point of requiring a re-install, but hopefully SP1 will fix the big ones.

Tho, is it me, or does it seem that MS OSes are like Star Trek movies. Only every other version is worth checking out.

ie - MSDos 4 = Star Trek 1
MS DOS 5 = Wrath of Kahn
MS DOS 6 = Search for Spock
Windows 3.11 = Voyage Home
Windows 95/98 = hmm... ok.. win 95/98 didn't really suck... maybe this is Undiscovered Country..
Windows ME = Final Frontier (arguably worst of the trek films)
Windows XP = Generations (windows 95 compatability with some new fluff for noobs)
Windows Vista = First contact, or voyager the series... great potential, poor initial execution, hoping for better as times go on.
where does windows 2000 fit in haha
naz,Feb 29 2008, 12:01 PM Wrote:where does windows 2000 fit in haha
[right][snapback]259069[/snapback][/right]

star wars man.. star wars...
I don't mind Vista. I'm using it. Everything works and I have heaps of RAM so it seems fine so far.
We've actually found a massive issue with large network transfers where the TCP/IP stack and the network driver itself for the Dell Latitude / Precision M-series Gigabit network cards goes for a dump. It's reboot or enjoy only the perception of network connectivity. No BIOS revision updates, any flavour of the network card drivers or anything else seems to fix the problem. The laptops are constantly docked and undocked so a PCMCIA network card is out of the question. It shouldn't be needed, really. We've run them docked and undocked for days at a time with the exact same issue.

Because of this alone, the only 2 Vista laptops I had in production (after fighting this bug for months) have gone back to XP.

This is a full YEAR since the release of Vista. This is beyond f***ing inexcusable. It's assinine.
darkpuppet,Feb 29 2008, 04:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]259072[/snapback][/right]

Star Wars is more like OSX, because it just works.
OS X.5 is pretty f***ing solid. Everything just works, no crashes, no restarts cause certain things stop working, absolutely nothing. I have the option to install XP or Vista as a secondary OS on my Macbook, but why install something that doesn't work?
Things like this are why I am so goddamn glad that I spec'ed Win XPPro on the new laptop for the office. XPPro for all its faults does what I tell it to do when I tell it to and doesn't give me any backtalk <_<

NefCAnuck
FocusGuy7476,Feb 29 2008, 02:23 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Feb 29 2008, 04:23 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]259072[/snapback][/right]

Star Wars is more like OSX, because it just works.
[right][snapback]259078[/snapback][/right]

Unfortuately, like Windows and the BSOD, Starwars has Jar-Jar

OSX is A 2001 Space Oddessy... mostly because original macs came with the "Sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot do that" as an alternate error sound.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 29 2008, 01:07 PM Wrote:We've actually found a massive issue with large network transfers where the TCP/IP stack...
[right][snapback]259075[/snapback][/right]
I found I have network issues too. Though it's just slow, I can stay connected forever so it's not quite the same thing. Mine's the 'normal' network bug I guess. I have managed to speed it up through some tweaks but it's no where near as fast as XP Pro was. And the whole constantly calculating thing is annoying too.

I'd like to use my 4 GB of RAM, but I'm sorta screwed I guess unless I use Vista 64 or XP-64 (which also sucks so I hear).

:(

(I have 32-bit Vista installed :/ )

Edit: Some benchmarks... I think I managed to get Vista up to 500-600 MBits over the network and XP was something like 750 MBit.. but in use... Vista runs more like 9 MB/s vs XPs 20-60 MB/s. XP was more dependent on drive speeds at either end. (GigE network)
32-bit Vista Enterprise is what we're running here when we can.

64-bit would require compatibility testing and likely retooled rollouts for our ERP fat-clients and such, nevermind D2D lightweight office stuff.