FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gps Info Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

My friend saw a Garmin Nuvi 350 on sale for 249.99 instead of 449.99 and asked me if it would be good for him.
He wants the usual voice readout like this one does but also he is wondering if he can use it like a regular GPS.
By this, he means like the ones you can simply push a button and go for a walk in the bush (hunting) and it will show your path on the screen. Then, if he wants to get back to point a, it will show him the way back.

There is also another one on sale at crappytire, the Magellan Maestro 3140 (199.99 399.99). It's 50$ cheaper but is it as good?

Thanks for your input.
THe Garmin is an EXCELLENT GPS - I would recommend that model. Check the review below - right now at Costco they have the Garmin Nuvi 360 for $290.00. Get the Garmin !! Company been around a long time and they make quality products.

http://tinyurl.com/22w9jq - review of the Nuvi 350.
I know they are a god brand, but will it do what my friend wants out of it?
It has to work without maps, or something like that. As long as he can see his path so he can get back home when chasing prey while hunting!

Thanks again.
Gravter,Feb 28 2008, 12:57 PM Wrote:I know they are a god brand, but will it do what my friend wants out of it?
It has to work without maps, or something like that.  As long as he can see his path so he can get back home when chasing prey while hunting!

Thanks again.
[right][snapback]258994[/snapback][/right]

I think it will, my house can't be found with the garmin because it is new and its not like it shuts off, just looks like i live in the middle of no where really...

I have another garmin for hunting and fishing, its a little hand held and this would probably serve him better. Take a look at the garmin site for mor einfo on the hunting/fishing units they have.
I think he's looking at a handheld - generally the auto units (like the Nuvi) are for navigating the roads - they don't include Topo mapping. He needs a handheld loaded with Topographic maps (Mapsource Canada). The Garmin site is great - check it out.
The LAST Time I used a GPS, it told me to do a left turn directly into a building. Man, its a good thing I still have my 2D navigational system (Good ol fashioned Paper Map)
I've got the Nuvi 250 and love it, it has it's flaws but overall it's got some awesome features and has most places already in the preprogrammed POI!

But yea... this isn't a handheld GPS. Mind you, it could work like one, but specific handheld gps' would be more so what he's looking for.
He actually ordered it, the Nuvi 350.
He's gonna try it out and if it's not what he wants, he'll return for a refund, he hopes.
He wanted an all-in-one gps. He also wants it for city/trip driving.
We'll find out next week when he gets it.