FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rogers Gurus...a Little Help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I know there are some knowledgable people on here when it comes to Rogers wireless. I'm just looking for any tips or advice.I just got a new Motorola KRZR phone through Rogers last night (my first new phone in 5 years) and I wanted to see if anybody else has one and if they had anything good or bad to say about it (the phone, not Rogers). I haven't had a lot of time to set it up yet, but one question I can't seem to find an answer on is can I use this phone as an MP3 player right out of the box or do I have to buy/download the 'Motorola phone tools" software? If anyone has anything else useful to share about this model phone I'd appreciate it. :)
Beware the evil "you can only use Rogers ringtones" gremlins... but other than that I actually recommend using the Phone Tools software. I'm using the Sony Ericsson tools for my W580i and it makes moving music around a snap.
If you're willing to hack a bit you can do all sorts of things on the KRZR (I own the Telus version)

If you got the USB cable with it and grab P2KCommander with a bit of work you can load MP3's and use MP3's as ringtones (I have the James Bond Theme play when I get text messages for example)

PM me if you need more information.

NefCanuck
using the phone as a music player and using a phone with mp3 ringtoes are 2 different things. MP3 playback for personal use is permitted, you can put the music directly on your memory card and insert it into your phone, you can also use an existing memory card and put it in the phone and play it from the phone no problem.

Motorola Phone Tools is a program thats been arround since the old days where phones did not have data cable connectivity nor memory cards. You DON't Need it, but you CAN buy it if you need a cable, since it includes the cable and cd-rom. But if you already have usb to mini-b cable, your phone will detect as a usb mass storage device, hence not needing the assistance of the motorola phone tools (BVRP) program anymore. and you can drag and drop your files onto the memory card this way as well as the traditional way of putting the memory card into a reador too. hope this helps
paolo,Feb 28 2008, 09:27 AM Wrote:using the phone as a music player and using a phone with mp3 ringtoes are 2 different things.  MP3 playback for personal use is permitted, you can put the music directly on your memory card and insert it into your phone, you can also use an existing memory card and put it in the phone and play it from the phone no problem.

Motorola Phone Tools is a program thats been arround since the old days where phones did not have data cable connectivity nor memory cards.  You DON't Need it, but you CAN buy it if you need a cable, since it includes the cable and cd-rom.  But if you already have  usb to mini-b cable, your phone will detect as a usb mass storage device, hence not needing the assistance of the motorola phone tools (BVRP) program anymore.  and you can drag and drop your files onto the memory card this way as well as the traditional way of putting the memory card into a reador too. hope this helps
[right][snapback]258987[/snapback][/right]

Pretty much on. With the KRZR, you need a micro sd card. Only then, will your computer detect it as a mass storage device. Also, you need to change your connectivity options to memory card. A cable is about $28 at The Source, and cards range from $15-$75 depending on how much storage you want
I did get a USB cable and a 256MB micro SD card with adapter with the phone so from what I read here I should be good to go. I'm more interested in MP3 playback for personal music listening, not so much for using it as ring tones (yet). Thanks for the help all.
The one you got is called the KRZR K1 RED Musique/Music. You will notice this on the box too. Yes looks like you just have to pop in the MicroSD (Transflash) card and you're set.

If anyone needs OEM Motorola USB to Mini-B cables, I can get them even cheaper than the crapource by circuit crappy sells. Try $10 plus tax for OEM MOTO