FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 205/60/16 Winter Tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am desperately looking for winter tires (Pirelli P6 are not made for Canada) , but am on a tight budget. My car is an 06 ZX5 SES with 16" alloys

I was looking at the classifieds and found a set of Goodyear UltraGrip Ice tires. I have a set of these on my Taurus and love them. I priced these at Goodyear and they would cost me over $900 for 15" with steel rims for my Focus.

The 4 used Goodyears have been used for 2 winters but still have lots of tread left and they are only $100.

Does anybody know if I can mount 205/60/16 tires on my Focus and what it might do to my speedo reading?
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html - this site will be your new best friend :)

That sidewall sizing difference puts you almost 7% out. I'm not sure if I'd do it, personally. Because all 4 tires are the same size, nothing will be hurt by it... but 60 sidewallls. EW. :P

As for the P6s... what's wrong with them? I live in North Bay and I've done 3 winters on Pirelli P6s. I was stuck once this year of my own stupidity (in my driveway, no less) and that's it.
if you arne't lowered that should be ok.. i've used 195/65/15 which should be similar in overall diameter..
Fishcounter,Feb 27 2008, 07:43 PM Wrote:I am desperately looking for winter tires (Pirelli P6 are not made for Canada) , but am on a tight budget.  My car is an 06 ZX5 SES with 16" alloys

I was looking at the classifieds and found a set of Goodyear UltraGrip Ice tires.  I have a set of these on my Taurus and love them.  I priced these at Goodyear and they would cost me over $900 for 15" with steel rims for my Focus.

The 4 used Goodyears have been used for 2 winters but still have lots of tread left and they are only $100.

Does anybody know if I can mount 205/60/16 tires on my Focus and what it might do to my speedo reading?
[right][snapback]258941[/snapback][/right]

becareful when they say 2 winters, ask for the DOT date on them. if the tires are too old then they would have lost thier Silica and they would be very slippery on ice.

DOT date should tell you the year and week the tires were made.
mo_focus,Feb 28 2008, 01:43 AM Wrote:becareful when they say 2 winters, ask for the DOT date on them. if the tires are too old then they would have lost thier Silica and they would be very slippery on ice.

[right][snapback]258977[/snapback][/right]

not all tires are made of a weird special compound.. some of them just have really aggressive tread design and 'normal' rubber.. but yea good call on the date of manuf
naz,Feb 27 2008, 11:32 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Feb 28 2008, 01:43 AM Wrote:becareful when they say 2 winters, ask for the DOT date on them. if the tires are too old then they would have lost thier Silica and they would be very slippery on ice.

[right][snapback]258977[/snapback][/right]

not all tires are made of a weird special compound.. some of them just have really aggressive tread design and 'normal' rubber.. but yea good call on the date of manuf
[right][snapback]258980[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for all your help.

I thought tires were good for 6 years. Do winter tires with silica "go bad" sooner?

As far as the comment about the Pirellis, I don’t know if mine are different than yours, but my car and the tires only have 13,000 Km and they suck in the snow, I constantly spin the tires from stop signs, red lights, etc even when there is very little snow or ice.

The car is not lowered or anything, so I should not have any issues with them fitting within the wheel wells.

What is wrong with 60 sidewalls, I think I prefer this to 15” wheels.

P.S. Does anyone know if I can mount these tires to my Ford 16” alloys?
Ive seen a foci with the 205/60r16 and the rubbed when you would turn sharp but that was it. With 195/65r15 mine dont rub and in lowered 2"
I'm lowered with the Saleen kit and my Michelins are size 205/55/R16 and they rub insanly. If I brake decently hard the tires will start to rub. I just got an alignment done as well and it didnt help much.
you should be fine if you're not lowered (or even if you are). i have 205/55R16 on my car on stock 16" wheels. I am lowered 2.5". I only rub a tiny bit at full lock.