FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rear Hatch Wiring Loom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, near side tail light not working, licence plate lights not working, all fuses and bulbs good - forgive me if i dont use "local" names for things, im a brit, lol
so a little investigation show the wiring loom into the hatch is in a bad way, all insulation on the wires has cracked, exposing upto 1/4 inch of bare wire on all wires, also one wire is broken into 2, its a fire hazzard, and im worried!!

Its a 2005 zxw, not sure on the exact manufacture date, with just over 100,000kms on the clock, yes its high miles but it was a good price.
would the wiring loom be covered under warranty? if not, as its a fairly new car, should i argue with the dealer?? make a scene or just pay up and shut up??

any advice on this or replaceing the loom myself greatfully accepted.

thanks

Nigel
Same thing happened in my '02. If the car is under warranty it should be covered. Eitherway get it fixed, asap. I didn't know my loom was wrecked and ultimately the rear defrost shorted out to ground (I'm presuming) and fubar'd my battery. I had to fix it on my own and pay for a new battery.

Get it fixed!!

I'd offer to help you do it yourself but your a bit far...
I used #10 stranded copper and spliced all the wires, took me 3 hrs alltogether.
i just had this fixed also on my 2000. it was $370 from ford
faster_than_u,Feb 25 2008, 03:12 AM Wrote:i just had this fixed also on my 2000. it was $370 from ford
[right][snapback]258704[/snapback][/right]

Ouch, take a couple hours out of your day, some simple srhink wrap and sodering skills will save you major cash!!

Happened on mine also, i fixed it myself. Its a tight space to get the soldering gun in, but its managaeble...
Kinda hoping they might fix it as the car is less than three years old??? seems to be a common problem and i would really expect wiring to last longer than 3 years, so im very reluctant to solder it but will if i have to do a fix myself.
you could go into the dealership that you bought it from and see what they will do for you? regardless of mileage, wiring loom should last more than 3 yrs!

I recently changed my US Spec tail lights over to Euro Spec tail lights and my wiring loom was in perfect condition. This is on a 2002 SVT.

The fact that you caught it, and its a fire hazard..... regardless of warranty, thats a complete safety issue which, in the USA, would probably end up being a lawsuit of somesort! :lol: Give it a shot.... before your car burns down :P jk
The car burning to the ground wouldn't be so bad. I'd have gotten a settlement out of it. In my case I had to pay for a new battery.

If it's gonna burn, make it count !
canadianfocusZXW,Feb 25 2008, 09:44 AM Wrote:Kinda hoping they might fix it as the car is less than three years old??? seems to be a common problem and i would really expect wiring to last longer than 3 years, so im very reluctant to solder it but will if i have to do a fix myself.
[right][snapback]258714[/snapback][/right]
The car could have been built in August '04 so may be 3 1/2 years old. Dealerships don't usually cover anything out of the warranty period as Ford will not cover the costs.

PM sent B)
Any ford dealer will probably remind you that the car is out of the basic warranty, and ship you on your way. Fix it yourself.
so, ford arent interested, apparently rear lights not working, due to blown fuses, due to cracked insulation, or the risk of fire due to the wires shorting out, isnt a saftey issue in their eyes.

$150 for the loom, estimate over $500 to fit it.

so off i go, buy wire, pliers, soldering iron, heatshrink sleeve, insualtion tape, new fuses ...... $60 and a few hours work and all is good.

but still not impressed.

I owned several cars in the UK over 40 years old and still on original wiring, my how times have changed eh? how technology has improved lol

canadianfocusZXW,Feb 28 2008, 05:24 PM Wrote:so, ford arent interested, apparently rear lights not working, due to blown fuses, due to cracked insulation, or the risk of fire due to the wires shorting out, isnt a saftey issue in their eyes.

[right][snapback]259014[/snapback][/right]

Not surprised at all.
Its realy not the dealers fault, we can only do what for will pay and once that odometer says 60k +++ theres nothing a dealer can do unless they want to pay for it.
Flofocus,Mar 3 2008, 09:20 AM Wrote:
canadianfocusZXW,Feb 28 2008, 05:24 PM Wrote:so, ford arent interested, apparently rear lights not working, due to blown fuses, due to cracked insulation, or the risk of fire due to the wires shorting out, isnt a saftey issue in their eyes.

[right][snapback]259014[/snapback][/right]

Not surprised at all.
[right][snapback]259240[/snapback][/right]

Nor am I... a lot of Ford dealers s*** on Focus owners it seems. Too bad there isn't a Stockfish in every town! Hey, waitaminute... *goes off to discuss franchise options with Stockfish Ford*
The way I see it.....

The definition of a manufacturer recall is a DEFECT in manufacturer production, IN OR OUT of the warranty period, that causes a safety risk that can potentially put the driver and/or passengers at risk of injury or death.

IN OR OUT of your warranty period..... you have a defect in manufacturer production that could've potentially caused your car to burn down thus giving you lung damage from smoke, or worse (God forbid)..... I'd tell the dealership that you don't have any beef with them, considering they didn't make the car..... that you'd like contacts to the big boys.

Unless you fixed it already and took it in the A$$ :)
how would it cause a fire?? it blows the fuse right away. and if the fuse is blown then no power is getting to the rear or the car. we all know that no power = no fire
To get a Manufacturer to open a RECAL there has to be many instances and I think in this case probably some fires that were documented that that was the cause of it. Like FASTER said once the fuse blows theres no more power there, so no fire. Mabey if you call ford customer service hotline they might be able to do something for you.
snorcus,Mar 4 2008, 10:23 AM Wrote:To get a Manufacturer to open a RECAL there has to be many instances and I think in this case probably some fires that were documented that that was the cause of it. Like FASTER said once the fuse blows theres no more power there, so no fire.  Mabey if you call ford customer service hotline they might be able to do something for you.
[right][snapback]259336[/snapback][/right]

I'd think, guys, that no rear lights or brake lights would be more cause for death or injury, no?
Scorpion,Mar 5 2008, 02:08 PM Wrote:
snorcus,Mar 4 2008, 10:23 AM Wrote:To get a Manufacturer to open a RECAL there has to be many instances and I think in this case probably some fires that were documented that that was the cause of it. Like FASTER said once the fuse blows theres no more power there, so no fire.  Mabey if you call ford customer service hotline they might be able to do something for you.
[right][snapback]259336[/snapback][/right]

I'd think, guys, that no rear lights or brake lights would be more cause for death or injury, no?
[right][snapback]259393[/snapback][/right]
risk vs cost impact or something like that...cant remember th term.

Same reason why the levies (sp) in new orleans were the size they were ;)