FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Spark Plugs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simple question...what basic spark plugs should i get for my focus? 1 step colder Motocrafts?

or whatelse is out there thats good and basic

just doing some maintenance on the car....spark plug wires,fuel filter, gonna clean my flat K&N filter, chance oil (add injector cleaner as always)

for some reason im gettin crappy KM's ....430km and thats mostly highways

could it be that my engine is tuned to crap?
stock plugs are best for a stock motor, you only need colder plugs if your boosted. Stock plugs should last at least 50K.
i got better mileage, and response from my focus after i changed over to copper core from the platinum plugs that came stock. it is more maintance to go with copper because you have to check and replace the plugs more often.
yea i have platinum plugs.....and i was never impressed with them

should u just pick this all up at the stealeship?

and i forgot....is there a torqe spec on spark plugs?
picked up a set at Canadian Tire for under $10 for the copper cores.
i wanna hear more about these copper core plugs.....
anyone else?
a lot of people on FF use the autolite 104 copper plugs and gap them to 0.55'' thats supposedly the better range. as far as im concerned the stock plugs which are good for like 100K (not 50K lol, at least thats what the manual says..) are probably good enough. a spark is a spark its not like the motor can tell the diff, for fuel economy, fine but replacing the copper plugs vs the gained mpg would probably balance out. i get 450kms to the tank all city driving, so if yours is mostly highway it should be well over 500kms. if we get a dyno day like last year im for sure going to test both sets of plugs the copper vs stock plat and see which yeilds more hp, if any.
Hey Nik learn from my mistakes man. If you are not going to do any turbo/charger work, then stick with Ford stock.

I've learned my lesson. From now on i'm not going to be getting anything else but original.
NGK irridiums gaped to .55 work well for me... they don't seem to break up past 7k lol
how much am i expecting to pay for spark plug wires? Ford dealer was closed today...sooo i went to the stupid CT

they obviosly only had 2 spark plugs (ofcourse i need 4 lol)
on the wires they gave me a price of like $80 or something

and for fuel filter it was $20.....i think i payed less last time...can't remember

so i never ended up buying anything
and now busy week comes in :(

p.s. where can i score some Royal Purple oil around markham are? i need 2 bottles and maybe a nice oil filter
Gord (sl8rzzx3) has a set of stock wires in his FS thead.....

For Royal Purple: http://www.overdriveauto.com
I've stuck with stock, no issue, and always in stock at the dealership. Car is pushing 180,000km on an '02
hardk0re,Feb 24 2008, 08:29 PM Wrote:Gord (sl8rzzx3) has a set of stock wires in his FS thead.....

For Royal Purple:  http://www.overdriveauto.com
[right][snapback]258690[/snapback][/right]

yep im buying those of off him tomorrow

and on that site it says they only cary 10W30 of that oil......?
I can "run it up" on the Duratec with stock plugs and I've never had an issue yet (26,000KMs on the weekend). Then again, I'm Coil-on-Plug so that changes things a little. I'd work everything back to the distributor in your case, gradually, to sort it out.

Zetecs have a coil, right? I know I changed one in the SPI to sort out a massive issue a few weeks before I sold it and it made it run MUCH better.
sorry nik but i think ur looking to spend money in all the wrong places ur not gonna make horse power or run that much better with ur setup from spark plug wires and royal purple oil.
the copper plugs need to be replaced twice as often as platinum plugs, and if you're unboosted, you're not going to see any benefits really.

You can pull your plugs and regap them if you'd like, but I wouldn't suggest switching plugs or wires since the aftermarket ones tend to miss out in the reliability department and offer little (if none) performance increase.
NikiterZTS,Feb 24 2008, 11:05 PM Wrote:yep im buying those of off him tomorrow
and on that site it says they only cary 10W30 of that oil......?
[right][snapback]258694[/snapback][/right]

Call him up. I can also get amsoil if you wanted that.
ZX3_2NV,Feb 25 2008, 01:22 PM Wrote:sorry nik but i think ur looking to spend money in all the wrong places ur not gonna make horse power or run that much better with ur setup from spark plug wires and royal purple oil.
[right][snapback]258722[/snapback][/right]

sorry Drew but u got it wrong......im trying to make this car as stock as i can....just got my regulr plugs and spark plug wires in today, picked up the fuel filter......and gonna do my timing belt on the weekend probably
just some car "spring" maintness
not looking for any horse power just a reliable car.......oh and that oil is good....but after this change im gonna go back to Mobil1

all the performance parts are gonna be taken off when it gets warmer

so far i only have the catback, pulleys, 65tb, ported intake manifold.....i think thats it

anybody wants to buy my MAC rear engine mount?