FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Can't Wait! Another Way To Spend Cash!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Geez, isn't tweaking a Mazda RX-8's ECU like feeding caffiene to a crack addict on a high? :huh: :lol:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 14 2008, 12:58 PM Wrote:Geez, isn't tweaking a Mazda RX-8's ECU like feeding caffiene to a crack addict on a high? :huh: :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]258042[/snapback][/right]

I guess that all depends.. what's the going rate for bulk apex seals? :P just buggin' nos -- now get modding!
darkpuppet,Feb 14 2008, 01:30 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Feb 14 2008, 12:58 PM Wrote:Geez, isn't tweaking a Mazda RX-8's ECU like feeding caffiene to a crack addict on a high? :huh: :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]258042[/snapback][/right]

I guess that all depends.. what's the going rate for bulk apex seals? :P just buggin' nos -- now get modding!
[right][snapback]258051[/snapback][/right]

The sound of NOS approaching...

VREEEEEEEE POP! #$$%$# -sounds of repair-

Some Time Later

Some Time Later (again)

Rinse, lather, repeat...

:rofl: I kid.... ;)

NefCanuck
Hahahaha you guys kill me!

The nice part about the rotary is that it does apparently "tune" nicely, and 10K RPMs is a happy playground for it. Remember (as I learned not that long ago myself), the rotors turn at 1/3rd the speed of the eccentric shaft. If you turbo, tho... all bets are off due to the increased pressure and the aforementioned apex seals.

I've got a few more things to clean up before I start to play with it... but rest assured, playtime IS coming.

*cough*20" Ultraleggeras*cough*

;) :ph34r:
i was always under the impression that the mod path for an rx7 went something like

1 ) rebuilt the motor with stronger apex seals

2 ) do the mods

3) get cash together in preparation for another rebuild very very soon

how is the RX8 different?

if you were going to mod/go turbo.... maybe get the turbo car in the first place?? try hard to fight the modding bug dude.. its not worth it. it will get $$$$ fast
Not going turbo cause turbos eat Renesis motors very easily. On that note, "light" mods - intake, race midpipe, exhaust, tune - do very well on the 13B Renesis and guys run for quite some time without needing new apex seals.

With that said, this will be my first fully-modified car (worth modding), so a heavier-duty clutch, etc will also be part of the mod list.

I'm not looking for a 12-second quarter mile. I just want to "open it up" some as I did with the Focus, doing mods that have been consistently proven to make reasonable and worthwhile gains for the Renesis. With the right intake/exhaust combo, the rotary sounds really mean (like a pissed-off bike) and I wouldn't mind having that! The exhaust note will be what I miss the most with the Focus I think. :(

I mean s***, it already has a CF-composite driveshaft! There's not THAT much left to do! There's also a LSD in place from the factory, which works ;)

A lighter flywheel also seems to be popular with a lot of folks.

I'll spend some cash, but you know what? You can always make more and you can't take it with you when you die. :)
naz,Feb 14 2008, 08:46 PM Wrote:i was always under the impression that the mod path for an rx7 went something like

1 ) rebuilt the motor with stronger apex seals

2 ) do the mods

3) get cash together in preparation for another rebuild very very soon

how is the RX8 different?

if you were going to mod/go turbo.... maybe get the turbo car in the first place??  try hard to fight the modding bug dude.. its not worth it. it will get $$$$ fast
[right][snapback]258092[/snapback][/right]

The new rotary has many improvements... sure the apex seals are always a bit of a weak point, but the relocated exhaust ports make a big improvement in chamber pressures.

Of course, you can turbo the new engine, but you really need to know what you're doing, but you would be better off with a big 3 rotor engine build :P

NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2008, 03:58 PM Wrote:With that said, this will be my first fully-modified car (worth modding), so a heavier-duty clutch, etc will also be part of the mod list.
[right][snapback]258135[/snapback][/right]

re the clutch.. IMHO clutches need to be *upgraded* if the previous clutch can't handle the power.. for example.. if i have a properly broken-in clutch with a serviceable amount of friction material left, and it slips when i hit the gas because i have so much power.. then yes.. i should move to a different clutch design, or a different friction material/pressure plate combination

clutches need to be *replaced* if they slip due to the friction material wearing out

its tempting to get a 'full race' 'aggressive' 'holds 1000000hp' clutch but clutch is one of those places where you have to be very honest about your usage.. there are a lot of trade offs associated with a clutch that can hold big power, and its not worth it to incur those trade offs if the power isn't there... just my $.02

EDIT: the power to need a big clutch won't be there with just bolt ons

before you do anything.. purchase some real tires.. trust me you won't regret it!! if you have $$ to burn consider using yoko A032R as your street tire.
I've got buddies with STis that swear by pretty much the same Potenzas I have right now. So far, I'm impressed with them but I'll definitely keep that Yoko option open.

I really, REALLY want the new Ultraleggeras... but I'm waffling on the size. 18" seems pointless (same size as stock), 19" looks good and 20" seems "pimpin'", but is it worth it to have a 30-series sidewall up here? Likely not. Either way, Ultraleggeras will be my rims of choice irregardless of the size I choose.

I know the take-up with a "race" clutch will be super-quick... which is why I might just order a replacement to have on-hand in the factory spec and go with the lighter flywheel along with the rest of the bolt-ons. I enjoy the setup I currently have with the Focus and I just want to duplicate the transformation with the RX-8.

I appreciate the honest opinions, guys... keep 'em coming.

I might even start the website "rotarycanada.net" :P

Just kiddin... maybe :ph34r:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2008, 07:58 PM Wrote:I've got buddies with STis that swear by pretty much the same Potenzas I have right now. So far, I'm impressed with them but I'll definitely keep that Yoko option open.

[right][snapback]258156[/snapback][/right]

you are using RE070 on all 4 corners now? ok i take it back. i thought you had some random tire on 2 of the wheels? RE070 are definitely a very solid tire.. i think the only non r comp that might be better is the re01r

the a032r are r comp so they will be better for sure. i'm on the fence whether i want em for my next set

re the clutch.. its not just the takeup/pedal feel. some of em chatter when cold which is a b!tch and its a lot easier to shock load the gear box (not as much of a concern with RWD i guess) i highly recommend the OE clutch unless you are making 'big power'

i wish i got a lightweight flywheel myself. i chickened on b/c i was afraid of the possibility of random crank position sensor CELs :(

No, I've got Potenzas all the way around. They might not be RE070s but they're def. nice rubber. R comps will be nice to have, but I'll run these out first.

Thanks for the advice on the clutch, Naz. I appreciate it. :)
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2008, 09:49 PM Wrote:They might not be RE070s but they're def. nice rubber.
[right][snapback]258179[/snapback][/right]

ok. my orig statement is back. change your tires :D

going from random performance-ish all season tires, to competitive ST* autoX street tires, to R comps is a massive leap each time

for comparison RE070 are generally considered to be a '2nd tier' ST* tire which feels great because of its massively stiff sidewalls.. the current '1st tier' ST* tires are RE01R and falken RT615

np re the clutch.. i was about to get something ridic when my WRX needed a clutch (cuz it was only like $100 for the 'hardcore' stuff).. once i got over my knee jerk must get $$ parts and dug into the tech it was clear which choice was better
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/Default.asp?id=3812

It's out... now the wait for a bit begins. I should have it ordered by mid-April. :D
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 6 2008, 04:55 PM Wrote:http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/Default.asp?id=3812

It's out... now the wait for a bit begins. I should have it ordered by mid-April. :D
[right][snapback]259439[/snapback][/right]

[Image: rx-dyno1.jpg]

this is at the crank right?

looks like a 12-13 crank hp gain? for $700? this isn't a turbo car with 25whp gain for a chip.....

hmmm.. seems like a set of re-01r tires would be a better use of $700 IMHO