FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Car Companies Have Hatchbacks In 08?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i was just thinking about all the car companies that have a hatchback for there 2008 sales year

companies with a hatchback
subaru wrx is now a hatchback
[Image: wrx1_m_m.jpg]

chevy has a hatchback
[Image: 3528-03.jpg]

audi has one
[Image: 3563-03.jpg]

saturn even has one now
[Image: astra17gs.jpg]

volvo has one
[Image: blue-volvo-c30.JPG]

so does mazda, suzuki, nissan, toyota, hyundai, honda, etc. etc...

now companies that dont have a hatchback for 2008

hmmm lets see....

Ford! :unsure:
acura, bmw, mb, honda don't have hatches either.

subaru always had a hatch.. they just called it a 'wagon'
naz,Feb 11 2008, 04:47 PM Wrote:acura, bmw, mb, honda don't have hatches either.

[right][snapback]257791[/snapback][/right]

mb (CL) has one, honda (FIT) has one. Acura, you are right.

I wish the 1 series came here in the hatch....
I still don't understand why they got rid of the hatch? Most of the Foci you see are hatches. Maybe I will write a letter to Ford and they will bring the hatch back???
Why in the hell would GM do THAT to the Aveo, bastardise the damn thing even more!

Sorry, got off track when I saw that raunchy thing. Yes, it does suck that Ford is discontinuing the hatch for the Focus in NA, BS there isn't a market for it here. When Ford brings a sporty new Focus similar to the FocusSport 08 Focus then they'll have interested buyers, until now it will be hit and miss... I'm even undecided if I really like it or hate it.
The main reason is because Ford Canada is tied to what Ford US gets, and Ford US doesn't sell near as many hatches a sedans; at least enough to warrant separate development of a hatch as the Global Focus and the Verve are just around the corner.

Not that I agree or disagree, that is the reason; the main purpose of a hatch is to haul crap -- the usual American solution is to have a truck as well as a small car since gas is still relatively cheap. Hatches did well in Canada because our tastes and sensibilites are closer to Europe's in some ways.
Kia has a hatch.
Flofocus,Feb 11 2008, 09:05 PM Wrote:
naz,Feb 11 2008, 04:47 PM Wrote:acura, bmw, mb, honda don't have hatches either.

[right][snapback]257791[/snapback][/right]

mb (CL) has one, honda (FIT) has one. Acura, you are right.

I wish the 1 series came here in the hatch....
[right][snapback]257795[/snapback][/right]

the CL mercedes coupe is hatch back (integra style)? really.. damn. i guess it better be practial for being stupidly expensive

forgot about the fit good call.

the motor in the 135 will make you not care what body is strapped around it. too bad for the lack of LSD though
Mercedes B Class is a hatch.
FocusGuy7476,Feb 12 2008, 02:34 AM Wrote:Mercedes B Class is a hatch.
[right][snapback]257810[/snapback][/right]

WTF is a 'b class' ?! :blink:

time to google...

[Image: 2007-mercedes-benz-b200-i0008.jpg]

OMFG are you kidding me :o 134hp.. fwd... CDN 31k+ ??!?!?!?!?!

they sell that in canada?! do ppl actually buy them? it looks like a yaris with a MB badge slapped on it. can't believe that would bring that sucker over to north america. seems like it would totally dilute the brand image..

wow i still can't believe they would allow that econoshoe box to be associated with the MB brand... and more amazed anyone would purchase it
the other car company you forgot to mention that dose not have a hatch for sale in Canada / America is Mitsubishi, they won't have one till 2009, and when it comes up for sale it will more then likely be marketed as a wagon. Also other manufactures that don't offer a hatch is, Lexius, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Lambrogini, Lotus, Saab, Buick, Cadliac, and Hummer.

in one of the articles I posted a while ago, ford did mention they might bring back the 5 door hatch, if there is enough of a demand for it, but they'd have to really bastardize it to make it look like the 2008 facelift.
Frost__2001,Feb 12 2008, 04:45 AM Wrote:Also other manufactures that don't offer a hatch is, Lexius, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Lambrogini, Lotus, Saab, Buick, Cadliac, and Hummer.[right][snapback]257819[/snapback][/right]

have any of those companys had a hatch in production before in NA and if so were they remotely affordable? :ph34r:

i was just pointing out the fact of how many car companys have brought out a hatchback over the last couple years in NA, when ford got rid of theres and added an immensely ugly looking body style focus to there line-up :D
castone,Feb 12 2008, 12:09 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Feb 12 2008, 04:45 AM Wrote:Also other manufactures that don't offer a hatch is, Lexus, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Lambrogini, Lotus, Saab, Buick, Cadliac, and Hummer.[right][snapback]257819[/snapback][/right]

have any of those companys had a hatch in production before in NA and if so were they remotely affordable? :ph34r:

i was just pointing out the fact of how many car companys have brought out a hatchback over the last couple years in NA, when ford got rid of theres and added an immensely ugly looking body style focus to there line-up :D
[right][snapback]257823[/snapback][/right]

Actually in the early 2000's Lexus offered the IS300 in a "Hatch" style even though it was a wagon. Also, Saab offered the 93, and 95 in a hatch for years up untill 2005, when Saab introduced the Areo, and Buick offered cheap hatches in the early 1980's, some of those company I mentioned did offere hatches, not to mention some (not all) offere hatches in other markets other then here, and you did state in your thread, in 2008, and none of these brands sold in canada offere a hatch curently.
As OAC Sparky said, we don't get a Hatch anymore because the Average American Car Buyer is so #$%%^%$% stupid.
I blame the inbreds... they're too dort air headed to change their style of vehicle from a truck or mustang, to something more economical that can be faster than their mustangs!

I remember going to mexico this past summer, while we were in Mazatlan I made a point to check out a Ford Dealership to see the Focus ST MKII..... they sold hte last one they had the day before but me and one of the salesmen there were talking about it. He said that the Focus ST MKII Pulls on a Mustang GT "como nada" haha which means like nothing.

so take THAT V8 gas guzzler hogs and shove it in your gas tank, you might need it for when you run out! :P hahah

and yea, Ford North America is absolutely ridiculous, don't even get me started on that one. All I can say is that their styling is SUPER bland, they've fallen out of the performance game (other than their beloved mustang) and I can honestly only see them going downhill because of that lack of styling and performance. European ford has alot more respect as a company than North American ford...... once again, dam inbreds! LOL
oldeguy,Feb 12 2008, 02:25 PM Wrote:As OAC Sparky said, we don't get a Hatch anymore because the Average American Car Buyer is so #$%%^%$% stupid.
[right][snapback]257835[/snapback][/right]

actually, the GTi hatches look like they sell fairly well (and they've always been hatches since like... 1983)

also i thought i read somewhere that a pretty high % (~40) of WRX (non STi) are sold in 5door wagon/hatch form

i don't think its fair to say that american car buyers absolutely hate hatches.. more like american car buyers hate slow hatches.

so maybe its stupid american car companies for bringing over 'cold' or 'lukewarm' hatches instead of full on 'hot' hatches because it seems like the hot hatches sell
naz,Feb 12 2008, 01:30 PM Wrote:
oldeguy,Feb 12 2008, 02:25 PM Wrote:As OAC Sparky said, we don't get a Hatch anymore because the Average American Car Buyer is so #$%%^%$% stupid.
[right][snapback]257835[/snapback][/right]

actually, the GTi hatches look like they sell fairly well (and they've always been hatches since like... 1983)

also i thought i read somewhere that a pretty high % (~40) of WRX (non STi) are sold in 5door wagon/hatch form

i don't think its fair to say that american car buyers absolutely hate hatches.. more like american car buyers hate slow hatches.

so maybe its stupid american car companies for bringing over 'cold' or 'lukewarm' hatches instead of full on 'hot' hatches because it seems like the hot hatches sell
[right][snapback]257853[/snapback][/right]
Okay, I'll do a little editing of my comment. Stupid American Car companies bringing over "dumbed down" vehicles, 'cause the Average American Car buyer is so @#$$%%^^& stupid. And when you think about it, you really can't compare a WRX to a Focus. They're two different types of vehicles. If the focus was AWD to start, then we could compare. Subaru's target is Audi, not Ford.
I'd take a hatch over a sedan any day of the week.
oldeguy,Feb 12 2008, 12:46 PM Wrote:Okay, I'll do a little editing of my comment. Stupid American Car companies bringing over "dumbed down" vehicles, 'cause the Average American Car buyer is so @#$$%%^^& stupid. And when you think about it, you really can't compare a WRX to a Focus. They're two different types of vehicles. If the focus was AWD to start, then we could compare. Subaru's target is Audi, not Ford.
[right][snapback]257855[/snapback][/right]
The problem with the whole complaint about "hot hatches" being offered in Europe and not here is that you have to keep in mind that if you want a car that will perform like a WRX that you have to have customers that are willing to pay WRX money.

Now it's quite evident (especially reading comments here) that if it has a Blue Oval on the front that most people won't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The reason that the NA Focus had so many problems when it launched was because it took a very solid capable design (the original Euro Focus) and cheapened it up. Why? Because next to nobody here in NA would pay the equivalent of near $30G for ( a ) an "econobox" ( b ) made by Ford. In Europe, they're all econoboxes; people will pay the premium for a well-built one.

The market is just different, and it's only beginning to change.
^--- that's exactly the problem OACSparky...

the saddest part is that I haven't yet seen a merc b-class without a burnt out headlight.

People are willing to pay 40k if it's a mercedes that can't hold half what the focus can, but not $30k on the 'real' focus.
Pages: 1 2