FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Its Offical, Ford Will Be Importing The Transit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford unveils 2010 Transit Connect
Feb. 07, 2008.
Source: Leftlane news

This week at the Chicago Auto Show, Ford announced plans to import the Transit Connect commercial van to North America. Ford's Mark Fields, President of the Americas, says that the compact van will be available "next summer," meaning summer of 2009.

[Image: 2007FordTransit.jpg]

The Transit Connect, (Toureno pictured) on sale in Europe since 2003, is designed to create a new commercial vehicle niche for North America, where large, fuel-thirsty vans like the Ford E-Series have reigned supreme for decades.

The Transit Connect features a 2.0 liter Duratec four cylinder engine and an automatic transmission, although the European-specification vehicles on display in Chicago featured diesel engines and five-speed manual transmissions. The four cylinder/automatic combination is estimated to return 19 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, a 40 percent increase over full size vans.

Two sliding side doors, vertical 180-degree-opening "barn door" cargo doors, a low floor and a high ceiling differentiate the Transit Connect from its rivals. The XLT model will be available with a 270 degree hinge. Ford claims the vehicles offer 155 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front seats. The load space can accomadate items up to 6.5 feet long and 5 feet wide.
one down!
now we need the Fiesta, Ka, and the Focus
Hrm, Ford must think based on the Dodge Sprinter sales that their version will do as well (Though the Spinter is damn pricey for what you get)

Bye Bye E-series, gonna miss you ;)

NefCanuck
Earth to Ford. A diesel option would sell like hot cakes.
Someguy_ca,Feb 8 2008, 04:08 AM Wrote:Earth to Ford.  A diesel option would sell like hot cakes.
[right][snapback]257642[/snapback][/right]

exactly! don't even bother bringing anything over unless you plan on putting the diesel in there. 2.0L Duratec is not going to cut it for NA.
Another neat use for the Duratec 4-cyls. Nice! What about a 6-speed option to increase fuel economy and extend the range though? 4-speeds and 4-cylinders are kinda pushing it for a commercial application.
As someone that currently drives a commercial E150 daily, i'd love to drive that transit van and i think it makes total sense to have a 4cyl version. Its a great way for companies to maintain a large van fleet while decreasing fuel costs.
Not sure why they showed the Toureno, this is what the Transit Connect looks like:

[Image: ford_transit_connect.jpg]

Good move to bring it to NA.

Diesel would sell well, but does Ford have a diesel that will meet US emissions regulations?

Ryan
yes..... look at the F350s that are diesel :P

I'm pretty sure those meet emissions standards
SVTGuy02,Feb 8 2008, 02:01 PM Wrote:yes..... look at the F350s that are diesel :P

I'm pretty sure those meet emissions standards
[right][snapback]257661[/snapback][/right]

Ok, I mean a 4-cylinder diesel that would be classified as a car engine (something in the Euro Duratorq line). :)

[sarcasm]Wait, if they did that, then they could offer a diesel Focus, and a diesel Escape!?!?!?!? Who would want either of those? :D [/sarcasm]

Ryan
"not sure why they showed the Toureno"

Its leftlane news they can never get anything right....

This is what I have to say about this: "Ill believe it when I see it"
Frost__2001,Feb 7 2008, 09:03 PM Wrote:Ford unveils 2010 Transit Connect
Feb. 07, 2008.
Source: Leftlane news

This week at the Chicago Auto Show, Ford announced plans to import the Transit Connect commercial van to North America. Ford's Mark Fields, President of the Americas, says that the compact van will be available "next summer," meaning summer of 2009.

[Image: 2007FordTransit.jpg]

The Transit Connect,  (Toureno pictured) on sale in Europe since 2003, is designed to create a new commercial vehicle niche for North America, where large, fuel-thirsty vans like the Ford E-Series have reigned supreme for decades.

The Transit Connect features a 2.0 liter Duratec four cylinder engine and an automatic transmission, although the European-specification vehicles on display in Chicago featured diesel engines and five-speed manual transmissions. The four cylinder/automatic combination is estimated to return 19 mpg in the city and 24 on the highway, a 40 percent increase over full size vans.

Two sliding side doors, vertical 180-degree-opening "barn door" cargo doors, a low floor and a high ceiling differentiate the Transit Connect from its rivals. The XLT model will be available with a 270 degree hinge. Ford claims the vehicles offer 155 cubic feet of cargo space behind the front seats. The load space can accomadate items up to 6.5 feet long and 5 feet wide.

[right][snapback]257624[/snapback][/right]