FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Edge Almost Matches All Gm's Lambda-platform Cuvs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Edge nearly matches combined sales of Enclave, Acadia, Outlook
Feb. 07, 2008
Source: Leftlane news

GM's four Lambda-platform crossovers — the Enclave, Acadia, Outlook, and Traverse — offer consumers more selection in terms of styling and features, but does offering so many models translate to more sales? That's the question raised by news today that Ford's Edge crossover has nearly matched the total sales for GM's three Lambda offerings in 2007.

Ford sold 130,400 Edge crossovers, compared to 137,000 for the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave combined, reports AdvertisingAge. (The report didn't say how many Lincoln MKX crossovers ford sold in the same time period.)

One would expect the multitude of GM models would lead to a more significant lead over Ford, but the automaker might simply not have the marketing resources to make each of the three — soon to be four — Lambda crossovers a hit. The Saturn Outlook, received about half the advertising budget of the Enclave or Acadia. It should come as no surprise, then, that Outlook sales have fallen somewhat short of expectations.

"GM, with three different models, is diluting their marketing dollar," said Kevin Tynan of Argus Research. With one model Ford is able fund a more comprehensive campaign, he said.

It's not known how GM will distribute its ad dollars once the new Chevrolet Traverse enters production. The hope is that the low-priced Traverse will provide added volume, but we can't help but wonder if one of the other models will suffer as a consequence.

cool, this means in one or two years there will be tons of lease return and that means i can get one for really cheap :)
that is horrible.
FocusGuy7476,Feb 7 2008, 10:10 PM Wrote:that is horrible.
[right][snapback]257636[/snapback][/right]
what's horrible?
Good News...Quality wins over quantity
Yet another indication that it's time for GM to prune the division family tree... When one of your competitors models nearly outsells four of your equivalents, it's time to give your head a mighty shake IMO and start up the chainsaw....

Here, GMC, GMC, GMC

NefCanuck
I knew it was a mistake for GM to build those nasty ass Crossovers... But then again, they're about as ugly as the Edge.
I'd be interested to see another sales comparision, small SUV's. Ford Escape vs. Chevy Equinox/Pontiac Torrent/Saturn Vue/Suzuki XL-7/GMC Terrain/Saab 9-4X.

Betcha the Escape destroys them!
mo_focus,Feb 7 2008, 08:16 PM Wrote:cool, this means in one or two years there will be tons of lease return and that means i can get one for really cheap :)
[right][snapback]257629[/snapback][/right]
Doubt it. Residuals on the Edge are among the highest in its class at 52%.

CanadaSVT,Feb 8 2008, 03:40 AM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Feb 7 2008, 10:10 PM Wrote:that is horrible.
[right][snapback]257636[/snapback][/right]
what's horrible?
[right][snapback]257639[/snapback][/right]

the decision that GM made to create 4 of the same basic CUVs
I bet if you add the mwk sales it will way higher the the GM sales
Someguy_ca,Feb 8 2008, 08:34 AM Wrote:I knew it was a mistake for GM to build those nasty ass Crossovers...  But then again, they're about as ugly as the Edge.
[right][snapback]257644[/snapback][/right]

the Edge is ugly?
I'd love it if I could afford a used one in a few years! If the numbers keep up this could happen...
OAC_Sparky,Feb 8 2008, 01:10 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Feb 7 2008, 08:16 PM Wrote:cool, this means in one or two years there will be tons of lease return and that means i can get one for really cheap :)
[right][snapback]257629[/snapback][/right]
Doubt it. Residuals on the Edge are among the highest in its class at 52%.
[right][snapback]257663[/snapback][/right]

I'll admit to being lease stupid here so bare with me when I ask what may seem a dumb question: If the residual on the Edge is 52% and it stickers new for even $40K wouldn't that put the buyout value at just over $20k? :huh:

In a few years I may be able to eat that and not get any indigestion at all :P

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Feb 8 2008, 02:31 PM Wrote:the Edge is ugly?
[right][snapback]257673[/snapback][/right]

Ya. Very. I have to hold down the puke every time I see one. But to be fair, I think all CUVs are ugly.
NefCanuck,Feb 8 2008, 10:55 PM Wrote:I'll admit to being lease stupid here so bare with me when I ask what may seem a dumb question:  If the residual on the Edge is 52% and it stickers new for even $40K wouldn't that put the buyout value at just over $20k? :huh:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]257700[/snapback][/right]
Yes, as long as you realize that be getting a 3 year old vehicle and financing at 6-8%. And keep in mind that's the buyout price, not the price on the lot. The salesman will want a commision too.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 9 2008, 12:30 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Feb 8 2008, 10:55 PM Wrote:I'll admit to being lease stupid here so bare with me when I ask what may seem a dumb question:  If the residual on the Edge is 52% and it stickers new for even $40K wouldn't that put the buyout value at just over $20k? :huh:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]257700[/snapback][/right]
Yes, as long as you realize that be getting a 3 year old vehicle and financing at 6-8%. And keep in mind that's the buyout price, not the price on the lot. The salesman will want a commision too.
[right][snapback]257719[/snapback][/right]

Still, that would likely mean an on the lot of $27K, which you can I think have a reasonable chance of browbeating down to $25K, no? :huh:

NefCanuck
I don't know, we'll have to see what the demand is. MAybe.