FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anybody Else Want To Take Another Sh!t On Windsor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Essex Engine Plant Slated to Close

Quote:Windsor Essex aluminum plant slated for 2009 closure
06/02/2008 12:00:38 PM 

Almost 600 workers at the Nemak Essex aluminum plant in Windsor, which makes engine parts for Ford Motor Co., will be out of work when their plant closes in the spring of 2009.

About 500 of the workers are unionized staff. Another 100 salaried workers will also lose their jobs.

The Canadian Auto Workers said members were informed of the decision on Wednesday.

"This is a crushing blow to Ford/Nemak workers and the Windsor area, which has one of the highest unemployment rates of any large city across the country," said CAW president Buzz Hargrove.

Hargrove called on the Harper government to develop a long-term automotive policy to stop the job losses in what he called "Canada's most important industry."

"This is extremely frustrating and disappointing news for our members, who have already been living under the weight of job insecurity for many months," said Mike Vince, the president of CAW Local 200, which represents the unionized plant workers.

Opened in 1981 by Ford, the Essex aluminum plant is now a joint venture between the automaker and Mexican firm Nemak.
I was in class yesterday when we heard the news.

It sucks.

But there is a top side to this announcement. Those workers will be offered the chance to come to Oakville where Ford will be expanding it's production. They will still have a job with Ford, however, the city of Windsor will obviously be adversely affected.

We will be producing the Lincoln MTL that has been announced recently at the Detroit Auto show and another car line(we think the Ka). The Lincoln will start production later this year and the car line in 2010.
meford4u,Feb 6 2008, 02:25 PM Wrote:I was in class yesterday when we heard the news.

It sucks.

But there is a top side to this announcement.  Those workers will be offered the chance to come to Oakville where Ford will be expanding it's production.  They will still have a job with Ford, however, the city of Windsor will obviously be adversely affected.

We will be producing the Lincoln MTL that has been announced recently at the Detroit Auto show and another car line(we think the Ka).  The Lincoln will start production later this year and the car line in 2010.
[right][snapback]257548[/snapback][/right]

That takes a lot out of a person though. Especially if the person has a family here in windsor, they have to relocate their kids, their wives and homes. Its unfortunate that the economy is sh!ting on so many ppl here, considering this particular market was booming for the longest time.

Well all good things have to come to an end...
I hate to sound insensitive, and believe me I sympathize, but sometimes the move for the job (if you love your job) can be the best option. People move all the time... just ask the CF "base brats" who grew up around , and out of, the country. That said, I hope that everyone affected comes out of it OK.

If my office packed up and moved elsewhere and my job was guaranteed in the new locale... I'd move in a heartbeat.
girard.k,Feb 6 2008, 02:49 PM Wrote:That takes a lot out of a person though. Especially if the person has a family here in windsor, they have to relocate their kids, their wives and homes. Its unfortunate that the economy is sh!ting on so many ppl here, considering this particular market was booming for the longest time.

Well all good things have to come to an end...
[right][snapback]257550[/snapback][/right]
Did it in '92. Left WIndsor for Oakville.

You adjust.

Better than waiting for the next unemployment cheque to appear in your mailbox...
the problem with windsor is that it is/was a one industry town. everyone here relies on the auto indsustry and when it kicks/kicked the bucket, it brings the whole town down.

Who is to blame?? everyone, windsor has never tried to market itself as a great place to invest money for a business/industry. it just rode the automotive gravy train.

most companies/indsutries will not touch windsor with a 10 foot pole due to CAW. They see it as more of hassle of dealing with the unions then jsut building or investing somewhere else and not having a union. (im not saying unions are a bad thing, we;ve had that debate many times, i am jsut stating a fact)

things are going to get alot worse here in windsor before they get better. luckily my noone in my family is working in the industry, but i have many friends whos parents or themselves are somehow connected and it isnt pretty.

another problem is some of these autoworkers were/are living well outside there means. the took the constant overtime and their decent wages and spent all of it. whether it was on a larger house that could barely afford or taking those trips to mexico every year. these people saved very little and are now getting hit very hard by what is happening.

Not all of the blame on this goes to the manufacturers either, as we have also discussed many times. it is jsut a really bad time where windsor keeps getting kicked while it is down.

Lets hope windsor can get through this and start to improve.
But, and as Sparky is living testiment to this, you move with the times.

Where in Windsor are you going to find a job that pays you $30+/hour? If you want to keep the standard of living you are used to, you do what you can and up your family and move. If the roles were reversed, I would move my family without hesitation.

Every walk of life has it's ups and downs. We, in Oakville rolled with the punches and adapted to the closing of the Truck plant and the loss of almost 1000 jobs. Those people who were laid off, found work elsewhere until more work became available at Ford. Some were laid off for 3 years until the recent recall of all employees.

Things have to get better for Windsor. A change is a must. Or else, it will fall like such cities as St. Catharines who relied heavily upon GM.
this proves that having a diverse local economy is that much more important.
If everyone moves at the same time, good luck selling your house!
Thats the worst thing when a town take a hit like this. Houses will be virtually unsellable or owners will have to cut asking prices because of the flooded market.
Hopefully this won't happen.
Gravter,Feb 7 2008, 09:50 AM Wrote:If everyone moves at the same time, good luck selling your house!
Thats the worst thing when a town take a hit like this.  Houses will be virtually unsellable or owners will have to cut asking prices because of the flooded market.
Hopefully this won't happen.
[right][snapback]257600[/snapback][/right]

its already like that here. not as bad as it could be but it is definitely a buyers market here in windsor. lots of house selling below their value and alot of high value homes are not selling at all.