FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Upconverting Dvd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are Upconverting dvd players wort it or not? Anybody got one?? Those it truely give you that HD feel? I have a LCD 42" 1080P TV.
don't think that they are worth it. would just spend the extra 2 or $300 and buy a blu ray or HD DVD player, that upconverts the regular dvds anyway.
FocusGuy7476,Feb 4 2008, 03:06 PM Wrote:don't think that they are worth it. would just spend the extra 2 or $300 and buy a blu ray or HD DVD player, that upconverts the regular dvds anyway.
[right][snapback]257401[/snapback][/right]

Ya but right now BluRay and HD are in this war...I don't want to buy a Bluray and have no movie for it or HD and have no movie for that one either. At least with the Upconverting one that not the issue.
Yes, if you get a decent one it's worth it.
Yes it does look better, just an FYI I tested a few upconverting dvd players and the xbox you have with XBMC upconverts to 720p and does a damn fine job of it. It did allot better than the toshiba, philips and sony I tried out.
The PS3 actually puts out 1080p for BluRay and upconverts to that as well for DVD.

My DVD player is an upconverting 5-disk carousel by Sony, scales to 1080i. My TV's a 60" XBR2 Sony and the picture's great.
a decent upconverting DVD player will be much improved over letting the TV trying to scale things to fit it's native resolution...

And if you're looking for a high-def player that can upscale very well, the xbox 360 and PS3's are good options.
darkpuppet,Feb 4 2008, 05:12 PM Wrote:a decent upconverting DVD player will be much improved over letting the TV trying to scale things to fit it's native resolution...

And if you're looking for a high-def player that can upscale very well, the xbox 360 and PS3's are good options.
[right][snapback]257407[/snapback][/right]

I already have the 360. I didn't really see a difference between that and a normal player. Should I see a difference?
The PS3 has options in the settings menu; such as output resolution and upscalining enable. I set the default output to 1080p. You also have to hook your TV up by the HDMI cable.

Pull the "Display" for your TV up when playing a DVD through the xBox. It should tell you what resolution the TV is receiving from the xBox.
i have a philips dvp5982 (upscale to 1080p.. but i only used up to 1080i obviously) hooked up to a 1080i 32" LCD

i picked up the player for like $70 at best buy. i used to use a ps2 as a dvd player, but tha totally sucked for use with the LCD.. i bought the upscaling player because it was pretty cheap and i wasn't ready to buy a ps3

i think its pretty decent (ie you won't mistake it for a full on hd player but i dont regret paying $70 for it) and its dependent on the dvd (some dvds look better than others.. usually the newer ones upscale better)

personally i think its ok if you need a new dvd player but don't wanna drop dough on a xbox360 or ps3.. i wouldn't bother if you have a half decent progressive scan dvd player already
The war is pretty much over. With Warner siding with Blu-Ray, most of the major labels are with it (Warner includes the Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series, so HD DVD has neither of the biggest from the last decade).

The HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360 is a rip off, as you can buy an HD-DVD player currently for $149. And in order to get a PS3 to do HDMI, you need to spend $500.

If you really want to go all out, get a dual format player, but you are looking $800 +. Currently the smart money lies on buying a cheap upconverting player for now (Best Buy has an RCA for $40, Futureshop has a Samsung for $70), and picking up a new unit for whatever officially wins in a year or two.

Ryan
reldridge,Feb 5 2008, 08:38 AM Wrote:And in order to get a PS3 to do HDMI, you need to spend $500.[right][snapback]257438[/snapback][/right]
??

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...ogon=&langid=EN
reldridge,Feb 5 2008, 09:38 AM Wrote:And in order to get a PS3 to do HDMI, you need to spend $500.

[right][snapback]257438[/snapback][/right]

Somebody is stuck in 2007 :P
Yep, my bad... :D Sorry, I was thinking of the old 40GB without HDMI.
focusonthis_88,Feb 4 2008, 04:20 PM Wrote:I already have the 360.  I didn't really see a difference between that and a normal player.  Should I see a difference?
[right][snapback]257408[/snapback][/right]

did you adjsut the settings in the Dashboard to get the HD signal properly set up?
reldridge,Feb 5 2008, 11:09 AM Wrote:Yep, my bad... :D Sorry, I was thinking of the old 40GB without HDMI.
[right][snapback]257447[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm, I have a 40GB PS3 that came with HDMI cable, Ratchet and Clank game and Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray movie all for 418$ taxes in!
It also looks like Blu-ray will win the format war, but it is still a bit early, but here to hoping it does!!!

There's also another factor to consider as some of the newer A/V receivers also upconvert as well, depending on the chipset it may in fact do a better job than an upconverting player does, but those are generally HDMI only.

NefCanuck