FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Follow Up: Ford Focus Rs Confirmed To Have 280 Hp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Follow up: Ford Focus RS confirmed to have 280 hp, front-wheel drive
Jan 24, 2008
Source: Leftlane news

The Ford Focus RS has been spotted several times over the past few month, but Ford continued to deny such a car was under development. But with the car nearing production, Ford officially announced its existence, and now more info has surfaced about the production model.

Although the Focus ST has been the range-topping model in Europe since 2005, the new RS will now occupy that spot. Powering the Focus RS will be a Volvo-sourced 2.5L inline-five turbo that produces 280 horsepower and 295 lb-ft or torque.

The RS model is can be identified by its larger front air intakes, larger wheels and rear wing. Unlike first reported, the RS will put its power to the ground via its front wheels, but traction and handling will be aided by a new electronic differential.

The European Ford Focus RS is expected to make its debut at this summer's Paris Motor Show with sales following in 2009. Look for the Focus RS to go head-to-head with the Volkswagen R32, Mitsubishi Evolution X and Subaru Impreza STI.

There is no word if the Focus RS will make it to the U.S

so it basically a re-skined mazda speed 3.............I guess naz was right.
maybe transmisson vise but it said it was based on an inline 5 thats way differnt the the mazda 4 cyl
D-Dub,Jan 24 2008, 02: Wrote:so it basically a re-skined mazda speed 3.............I guess naz was right.
[right][snapback]256715[/snapback][/right]

if that were true, it would be a good thing, since the RS is unlikely to make it to our shores while the mazda speed would.
ZX3_2NV,Jan 24 2008, 03:26 PM Wrote:maybe transmisson vise but it said it was based on an inline 5 thats way differnt the the mazda 4 cyl
[right][snapback]256719[/snapback][/right]

power wise its pretty much the same. Also the car is FWD with the same chassis as MS3, I wouldnt be surprised if it has the same suspension set up too. This car is no monster like it was hyped out to be.........classing it with the STI and EVO is stupid.
D-Dub,Jan 24 2008, 04: Wrote:....classing it with the STI and EVO is stupid.
[right][snapback]256726[/snapback][/right]

Who said that? I dont see any comparisions in this thread to the sti or evo
Flofocus,Jan 24 2008, 08:34 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]256728[/snapback][/right]

in the orig article by the OP it said

Quote:Look for the Focus RS to go head-to-head with the Volkswagen R32, Mitsubishi Evolution X and Subaru Impreza STI.

hard to say from just bench racing but i think this car could actually be worse than the MS3.. for the following reasons

1 ) 99.9% sure the 'electronic diff' is NOT an uber trick driver controlled diff with many sensors to optimize power transfer (like STi/EVO).. and instead will be a stupid open diff that has traction control to prevent wheelspin via braking of the wheels individually. i think that's worse than the mechanical LSD that is currently in the MS3

2 ) MS3 already has torque reduction in the lower gears (first 3 gears i think) so 99% sure this new car with even more power/tq has to have that torque reduction also.. and the torque will probably be reduced to the same level as the MS3.. so really.. the car makes more power on paper, but the only time you get to see this power is in a straight line on the highway

don't think this has a shot at coming to NA... ford can't price it over 30k because no one will buy it.. if they price it at like 24k maybe ppl will buy it but then they cannibalize sales of the MS3 if they price it like 19k a bunch of ppl will probably buy (SRT4 stylez) but i doubt ford will do that

either way.. get a MS3 already all you ppl who just absolutely have to have a focus/ford product!
naz,Jan 24 2008, 04:54 PM Wrote:

Ah, I didnt even read it. :lol:
Flofocus,Jan 24 2008, 09:10 PM Wrote:Ah, I didnt even read it.  :lol:
[right][snapback]256732[/snapback][/right]

you just wanted a chance to rag on d-dub :P
Flofocus,Jan 24 2008, 05:10 PM Wrote:
naz,Jan 24 2008, 04:54 PM Wrote:

Ah, I didnt even read it. :lol:

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wonder why they woulmt make awd? Its optional on the Volvo S40 and they share the same chasis and engine, why not the drive line? Maybe they are trying to keep the price down????
Canadian ST,Jan 25 2008, 02:21 AM Wrote:I wonder why they woulmt make awd? Its optional on the Volvo S40 and they share the same chasis and engine, why not the drive line? Maybe they are trying to keep the price down????
[right][snapback]256747[/snapback][/right]

take a look at this article

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=20487

Quote:Volvo's Haldex AWD system accommodates a wide range of variations between an S40 sedan and an XC90 SUV without creating a different system for each vehicle...... Volvo's AWD system, created by the Swedish company Haldex, is the same from vehicle to vehicle. The difference comes once the system is installed at the factory and the software takes over.

that pretty much rules out the cost argument i think... the parts are the same across the lineup.. its just software tuning (which is essentially cheap because you figure it out once and just copy the code to every car)... if they can put the tech in an S40 i don't see why they can't put the tech in a focus RS.. which is prob going to sell for about the same price..

at first i thought it was a durability issue, but if the setup can be used in the S60R/V70R which is a heavier car with more power then it should be fine for the smaller lighter focus sized car

the only thing i can think of is maybe some of the retard product planners from ford NA made it to ford UK?
It could be because the ST sells well enough without AWD.
naz,Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jan 24 2008, 09:10 PM Wrote:Ah, I didnt even read it.   :lol:

you just wanted a chance to rag on d-dub :P
[right][snapback]256737[/snapback][/right]

yep :ph34r:
I still don't think it will be like the mazdaspeed 3 and if the SRT 4 and mazdaspeed 3 can be categerized with evo and wrx then why not the RS there all boosted from factory thats what makes them similiar
Did some reading at http://www.autocar.co.uk, saying the RS won't be AWD because it's too heavy, and will screw up the power to weight ratio.
ZX3_2NV,Jan 25 2008, 02:30 PM Wrote:I still don't think it will be like the mazdaspeed 3 and if the SRT 4 and mazdaspeed 3 can be categerized with evo and wrx then why not the RS there all boosted from factory thats what makes them similiar
[right][snapback]256782[/snapback][/right]

you could be right. with different suspension components and powertrain tuning it could feel like a very different car.

have you spent a significant amount of time driving an awd/turbo car hard?

awd car (or a rwd car with huge tires or a motorycle) will explode out of turns in a way that is impossible for a fwd car to replicate.. i also find awd + long travel suspension make the car very stable and extremely easy to drive quickly on imperfect/unfamiliar roads

hard to describe.. go try it. i think you will agree with me that being 'boosted from the factory' is pretty much where the similar between the fwd and awd cars you mentioned end