FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Leafs Gm John Ferguson Jr. Fired
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just got the news via TSN.ca that JFJ has been Trumped (As in "You're FIRED!" :D)

Nothing confirmed about a replacement yet, though buzz on the street says its Cliff Fletcher...

One down, one to go

/me grabs an axe and hobbles down to 40 Bay Street... "Hey Richard Peddie, got a question to AXE you!" :ph34r: :lol:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 22 2008, 01:21 PM Wrote:Just got the news via TSN.ca that JFJ has been Trumped (As in "You're FIRED!" :D)

Nothing confirmed about a replacement yet, though buzz on the street says its Cliff Fletcher...

One down, one to go

/me grabs an axe and hobbles down to 40 Bay Street... "Hey Richard Peddie, got a question to AXE you!" :ph34r: :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]256544[/snapback][/right]
Maurice should stay....get rid of Peddie when you axe'em that question :lol:
Updating myself but Cliff Fletcher has been appointed "interim" GM...

Here's hoping he gets to do things his way....

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 22 2008, 01:28 PM Wrote:Updating myself but Cliff Fletcher has been appointed "interim" GM...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]256546[/snapback][/right]
Just heard that Fletcher will be interim. But, he will be staying on as an advisor to pick the new GM. Also, the Leafs will be looking to find a new "hockey guy" to run the whole show, and it sounds like Peddie and Tananbaum have been told to stay out the hockey teams running and look after making money for the Pensioners
Wasn't JFJ's fault at all. Peddie just hired someone so he could use them as a puppet to f*** the team up himself.
Now lets please hope this means they trade everyone for draft picks and try to bomb to the basement for the next two years and get the #1 and then next year Tavares.

Lets face it, this team isn't going to win anything by trying to patch things up, we need to start all over and don't make stupid decisions.
does it really make a difference?
oldeguy,Jan 22 2008, 12:42 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jan 22 2008, 01:28 PM Wrote:Updating myself but Cliff Fletcher has been appointed "interim" GM...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]256546[/snapback][/right]
Just heard that Fletcher will be interim. But, he will be staying on as an advisor to pick the new GM. Also, the Leafs will be looking to find a new "hockey guy" to run the whole show, and it sounds like Peddie and Tananbaum have been told to stay out the hockey teams running and look after making money for the Pensioners
[right][snapback]256547[/snapback][/right]

If Peddie & Tannanbaum actually stay away I'll be surprised (Tannanbaum esp. since he does have a significant chunk of equity in the team, Peddie is a meathead who needs to meet the business end of a sausage grinder IMO <_<)

NefCanuck
Flofocus,Jan 22 2008, 04:59 PM Wrote:does it really make a difference?
[right][snapback]256561[/snapback][/right]
No.
When I glanced this topic, I first thoght, woah, Why are they talking about GM in a Ford forum? then I saw the words Leafs in the beginning of the subject and realized why are we still talking about the Leafs?
paolo,Jan 23 2008, 05:49 PM Wrote:When I glanced this topic, I first thoght, woah, Why are they talking about GM in a Ford forum? then I saw the words Leafs in the beginning of the subject and realized why are we still talking about the Leafs?
[right][snapback]256638[/snapback][/right]

^^ Because it's about more than the current state of the Leafs at this exact moment in time? What bandwagon did you land on, again? :ph34r:

Toss Peddie. Good riddance to JFJ. Give Maurice one more chance and get this team a goalie and some solid scoring punch!
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 24 2008, 09:04 AM Wrote:
paolo,Jan 23 2008, 05:49 PM Wrote:When I glanced this topic, I first thoght, woah, Why are they talking about GM in a Ford forum? then I saw the words Leafs in the beginning of the subject and realized why are we still talking about the Leafs?
[right][snapback]256638[/snapback][/right]

^^ Because it's about more than the current state of the Leafs at this exact moment in time? What bandwagon did you land on, again? :ph34r:

Toss Peddie. Good riddance to JFJ. Give Maurice one more chance and get this team a goalie and some solid scoring punch!
[right][snapback]256673[/snapback][/right]

Get rid of Sundin... thats what they should have done, TRADED him.
they only got rid of fergie due to public outcry, now they gotta pay his ass and he sits at home..
paolo,Jan 24 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:Get rid of Sundin... thats what they should have done, TRADED him.
they only got rid of fergie due to public outcry, now they gotta pay his ass and he sits at home..
[right][snapback]256675[/snapback][/right]

time after time, I hear people say this... but time after time, it's Sundin scoring the winning goal...

so why the big push to get rid of him?
darkpuppet,Jan 24 2008, 09:55 AM Wrote:
paolo,Jan 24 2008, 09:12 AM Wrote:Get rid of Sundin... thats what they should have done, TRADED him.

time after time, I hear people say this... but time after time, it's Sundin scoring the winning goal...

[right][snapback]256682[/snapback][/right]
He just goes about his job quietly, not at all the flashy type. He is still being compared to Gilmore and Clark. Gilmore wasn't any better, he just got them closer to the cup. Clark, could shoot, hit and fight. i think the Leafs should ask him if he wants to move, so the Leafs could get some of the Draft Picks that Ferguson, Quinn, Fletcher, et all, gave away in the past.
darkpuppet,Jan 24 2008, 08:55 AM Wrote:

Don't ask me, frankly I think Sundin is about the only attractive thing that the Leafs have as a team to try and lure free agents here.

Trade Sundin away and short of getting back either Crosby, Nash or Ovechkin in exchange Toronto becomes a dead zone worse than even Edmonton allegedly is IMO.

No, keep Sundin, sign him to a two year deal and pump his mojo into getting us some free agent talent come July...

As for comparing him to other Leafs captains, that's hardly fair, each sucessful captain of the Maple Leafs, suceeded because they excelled in different areas... Wendel scoring like Sundin? -pfft- not likely. Gilmour fighting like Wendel? -pfft- as if...

No, IMO, each sucessful captain had/has their niche and works it...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 24 2008, 11:54 AM Wrote:

Don't ask me, frankly I think Sundin is about the only attractive thing that the Leafs have as a team to try and lure free agents here.

Trade Sundin away and short of getting back either Crosby, Nash or Ovechkin in exchange Toronto becomes a dead zone worse than even Edmonton allegedly is IMO.

No, keep Sundin, sign him to a two year deal and pump his mojo into getting us some free agent talent come July...

As for comparing him to other Leafs captains, that's hardly fair, each sucessful captain of the Maple Leafs, suceeded because they excelled in different areas... Wendel scoring like Sundin? -pfft- not likely. Gilmour fighting like Wendel? -pfft- as if...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]256694[/snapback][/right]
The unwashed masses who are Leaf fans compare Sundin to Gilmore and Clark, and don't see the strengths that Sundin brought. Personally, I think he's done a good job, considering all the junk he's had to play with. Besides, one guy can't win the Cup for you
NefCanuck,Jan 24 2008, 10:54 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
The reason we should trade him now is becasue he is worth something, and we could get a really good YOUNG player for him, and some draft picks, apparently the next couple or years are supposed to be really good. Make a trade like the Niewendyk-Iginla trade, both teams prospered. Should stop thinking about short term fixes and think about long term gain.

Sundin will not be in the NHL in 2 or 3 years, and we will have nothing to show for him, this is the highest his stock is going to be, now is the time to sell.

Pleaseeeeeee you don't want more old washed up free agents coming here, you don't want the same crap for the past 10 years do you?

They should get rid of a lot of crap, tank the season get a really high draft pick for a couple years in a row, then bam stanley cup! The current strategy of picking all these free agents isn't working and it hasn't worked for a long time for us.
crazikev,Jan 24 2008, 03:49 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
The reason we should trade him now is becasue he is worth something, and we could get a really good YOUNG player for him, and some draft picks, apparently the next couple or years are supposed to be really good. Make a trade like the Niewendyk-Iginla trade, both teams prospered. Should stop thinking about short term fixes and think about long term gain.

Sundin will not be in the NHL in 2 or 3 years, and we will have nothing to show for him, this is the highest his stock is going to be, now is the time to sell.

Pleaseeeeeee you don't want more old washed up free agents coming here, you don't want the same crap for the past 10 years do you?

They should get rid of a lot of crap, tank the season get a really high draft pick for a couple years in a row, then bam stanley cup! The current strategy of picking all these free agents isn't working and it hasn't worked for a long time for us.
[right][snapback]256730[/snapback][/right]

You forget an important point though, with the new collective barganing agreement the age that a player hits unrestricted free agency is dropping every year at this point until at the end of the deal the age is going to be a mere 26 years old. So no longer will the Leafs be bidding on veterans one banana peel away from the IR...

Problem is, no one wants our crap... So what do the Leafs do? Stock the Marlies with the flotsam or keep playing them until they either demand a trade or smarten up? Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 24 2008, 09:43 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Jan 24 2008, 03:49 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

You forget an important point though, with the new collective barganing agreement the age that a player hits unrestricted free agency is dropping every year at this point until at the end of the deal the age is going to be a mere 26 years old. So no longer will the Leafs be bidding on veterans one banana peel away from the IR...

Problem is, no one wants our crap... So what do the Leafs do? Stock the Marlies with the flotsam or keep playing them until they either demand a trade or smarten up? Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]256752[/snapback][/right]
Im sure some other team would be interested in Jason Blake, John Pohl, Sundin, Tucker, Coli(try to get rid of him before he has 1 leg left :( ), Gill and please trade Woz to anyone that will take him, just get rid of the guy. :lol: .

I am sure that other teams would be interested in these players.
crazikev,Jan 24 2008, 04:49 PM Wrote:They should get rid of a lot of crap, tank the season get a really high draft pick for a couple years in a row, then  bam stanley cup!  The current strategy of picking all these free agents isn't working and it hasn't worked for a long time for us.
Young draft picks with no leadership gets you nowhere.

Look at the recent Stanley Cup winners; Wings, Avs, Stars; and even the latest winners -- leadership.

Toronto needs some youth, yes. But it needs some decent scouting even more. Detroit never gets a first draft pick; it's been on top too long.

Look who we have -- Datsyuk, Zetterberg.... Not first rounders. Just good scouting. And neither Lidstrom nor Chelios are spring chickens -- but they are leaders.
Pages: 1 2