FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Would Ford Give Me A Hard Time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just wondering if Ford would give me a hard time for warranty issues with the following scenario:

So I just got an oil change done, put in 0W20 100% synthetic oil that is supposed to be good up to 25,000 miles. Even though I would never trust that. I'll probably change it every 10,000KM's. If I do oil changes myself, and obviously because I would be doing an oil change in the interval of two.. Do you think they'd give me a hard time if something happened engine related? What about all the people that go to Mr. Lube's and so on instead of the dealership?

Anybody have experience with this?
The dealer will give you a hard time regardless.
But the CAI would probably be more of an excuse for them, aswell as the updated ECU code your running.

Yeah, but if something goes wrong they have to prove the added component is what caused the failure. I'm just wondering if they would make up some bogus issue regarding oil changes. I can always return tuning to stock before going in for something :)
I think it really depends on the dealer and even the service mechanics. Anytime you mod your car you have less footing to stand on.

This is a good read from Amsoil.

Quote:25 Jan 2010

Understanding Vehicle Manufacturers 'Warranties & the Laws'
Dear John,

One of the most frequently asked questions and a very important subject to understand is the 'Warranty Laws'. The biggest of myths is that, you have to use a specific manufacturers brand of product in order to maintain the validity of your warranty.

Nothing could be further hidden from the truth! In fact it is a violation of the Federal Law to require a consumer to use a specific brand or type of product unless that product is provided free of charge.

The claim is usually made by a dealership service center that any other brand of product, except theirs of course, will "void the warranty", with the statement or implication that only the original equipment brand of product may be used.  This, of course tends to cast a doubt on the quality of the replacement part.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for that statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who prefer to install many of their own service and maintenance parts, such as oil and filters, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-2312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of part unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if you are told that only the original equipment part will not void the warranty, you should ask that the part be supplied free of charge.  If you are charged for the part, the manufacturer will be violating the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This applies to any consumer product, not just cars and trucks.

Now, here are the answers to the two most common questions about AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils:

Could using AMSOIL motor oil void your new car warranty?

Absolutely Not!

Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils that meet up to certain Viscosity Grades and American Petroleum Institute (API) service requirements.  Irrespective of whether the motor oil is petroleum based or synthetic, the warranty coverage will not be affected. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets the requirements and was not the cause of the failure.  AMSOIL exceeds these requirements and has never been deemed the cause of an engine failure.  Even so, AMSOIL has its own limited warranty, protecting you even further.  In addition, the federally mandated Magnuson-Moss Act states that a manufacturer may not require the use of a specific brand of aftermarket product unless it is provided free of charge.

If a car dealership, service center or other business states that using AMSOIL will void the new vehicle warranty, ask for their statement in writing and send it to AMSOIL Technical Services.  If the business won't provide the specific statement in writing, please send AMSOIL Technical Services a letter identifying who made the statement, the name and location of the business. AMSOIL will then send a letter to the business informing them that their position is inaccurate, and in fact, violates existing law.  Your name will be held in confidence.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are guaranteed to run 25,000 to 35,000 miles (Series 2000 0W-30 Severe Service Oil) or one year in mechanically sound engines, providing the oil to be kept free of contaminants by changing the oil filter according to the manufacturer's recommendation or, when using an AMSOIL oil filter, changing the filter at 6 months or 12,500 miles (20,000kms) (for gasoline engines), whichever comes first. If using the AMSOIL Dual-Remote or Dual-Guard By-Pass Filtration unit then the oil and By-Pass filter is changed as indicated by oil analysis testing.  AMSOIL coined the phrase "extended drain interval" and over 25 years of industry testing and tens of thousands of motorists and millions of over-the-road miles have validated it.

AMSOIL synthetic motor oils provide extended drain performance because their molecular chain does not break down in heat in a way that conventional motor oils do.  AMSOIL motor oils don't volatize (burn off), which alters the viscosity and increase oil consumption. Finally, AMSOIL's superior additive package, a key element in the oil's ability to function, holds up under engine stresses, remaining serviceable for the full 25,000 to 35,00 miles (40,000 to 56,000kms), or indefinitely when By-Pass Filtration and oil analysis is used.

Additionally, if there is ever a question of whether or not a particular type of oil was the cause of an engine failure, please make sure to get a sample of the used oil in a bottle, typically 6oz. minimum.  The oil can then be sent to two independent testing labs for analysis. Remember, an informed consumer is your best defense against being taken advantage of by a vehicle dealership or service center.

I truly anticipate that this e-mail really helps you necessary information on 'Warranties & Laws'. Should you have any questions regarding these issues or require personal assistance, please contact me directly.

Best Regards, John,

Yours sincerely

Parany Vijay DAE AMIAE
Automotive Engineer
http://www.WorldsBestOil.ca

Some dealers are real pricks when it comes to this stuff.

I remember the crowd of guys around my car when I first put the Volant on (years and years ago) and the service manager noted ***modified engine*** on my file.

I had to fight him to get rid of that.

Good post John, lots of info!
Yeah, it depends on the dealer for sure. What pisses me off is whenever I go somewhere for service or something, it always ends up being some young kid who feels the need to rev my engine. It's not a big deal, but it pisses me off without my consent.
ANTHONYD,Jan 26 2010, 03:36 PM Wrote:Some dealers are real pricks when it comes to this stuff.

I remember the crowd of guys around my car when I first put the Volant on (years and years ago) and the service manager noted ***modified engine*** on my file.

I had to fight him to get rid of that.
[right][snapback]300219[/snapback][/right]

Yes I had the samething about my car when I had a Steeda intake, Magnaflow catback and 17"rims. Had this clicking noise coming from the differential.
The Shop manager said I was popping the clutch and doing to many hard take offs. So I told him how do you think I do that in an Auto.

Then they took the car for a drive and said that the exhaust as caused the "Hamonick Balancer to start clicking."
So I took it to Dixie Ford and they ran it under warranty for a new diff.

Dealers can be pricks about everything. They even gave me s*** for taking my car to Midas to service the Trany for the first time at the scheldued time of 50,000KM even though it was really 45,000KM.
You just have to stick to your guns on things
For sure, if something like that were to happen where it was something serious I would bring it to the dealership where I bought the car. Unfortunately it's a north drive of like 4 hours.. lol But it's where family is and so on.

My Dad has been a loyal customer of that dealer so I think they wouldn't be pricks with me. I'm just worried about the stuff you said, make up stuff like "oh well your exhaust caused this to happen and so on."

50K for tranny maintenance huh? I thought I remember reading 100K in my manual. I guess I'll have to double check that. Today when I brought it in they said something about brake maintenance (only has 20,000KM), but I didn't have the time. I said just do the oil change since I'm using my work lunch for this.
tetra,Jan 26 2010, 05:45 PM Wrote:For sure, if something like that were to happen where it was something serious I would bring it to the dealership where I bought the car. Unfortunately it's a north drive of like 4 hours.. lol But it's where family is and so on.

My Dad has been a loyal customer of that dealer so I think they wouldn't be pricks with me. I'm just worried about the stuff you said, make up stuff like "oh well your exhaust caused this to happen and so on."

50K for tranny maintenance huh? I thought I remember reading 100K in my manual. I guess I'll have to double check that. Today when I brought it in they said something about brake maintenance (only has 20,000KM), but I didn't have the time. I said just do the oil change since I'm using my work lunch for this.
[right][snapback]300226[/snapback][/right]

usually the tranny fluid changes are 2 years or 50,000kms for an auto, and 100,000 kms or 2 years for a standard, thats what I was told by both Colony Ford, and Mr Lube.

I remember when I had an issue with my focus 3 weeks after owning it, and the manager of Bramview (now Planet) Ford said well it would be easier to work on your car if You didn't modify the car.... I was WTF? :blink: I then marched him into the service bay opened the hood of my car and showed him the stickers that clearly stated "modified from factory by Ford" with the signatures on it.
this is y a good relationship with your dealer is important.
Well from an oil distributors stand point we do not recommend an oil change interval over and above the recomendation by the manufacturer, from a legal stand point. I how ever just looked down at the odometer tonight on my way home and realized that I am just over 10K over for an oil change. Whoops, LOL. I however am way past my warranty period.
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 26 2010, 05:59 PM Wrote:Well from an oil distributors stand point we do not recommend an oil change interval over and above the recomendation by the manufacturer, from a legal stand point.  I how ever just looked down at the odometer tonight on my way home and realized that I am just over 10K over for an oil change.  Whoops, LOL.  I however am way past my warranty period.
[right][snapback]300237[/snapback][/right]

LOL, hey you need some Amsoil Kevin. :lol:
Seriously 10K over wow. Run some engine flush buddy
Scorcher000,Jan 26 2010, 07:31 PM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 26 2010, 05:59 PM Wrote:Well from an oil distributors stand point we do not recommend an oil change interval over and above the recomendation by the manufacturer, from a legal stand point.  I how ever just looked down at the odometer tonight on my way home and realized that I am just over 10K over for an oil change.  Whoops, LOL.  I however am way past my warranty period.

[right][snapback]300246[/snapback][/right]

Wow, the Amsoil guy is poking at the Castrol guy... :lol:
reldridge,Jan 27 2010, 09:33 AM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Jan 26 2010, 07:31 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]300246[/snapback][/right]

Wow, the Amsoil guy is poking at the Castrol guy... :lol:
[right][snapback]300283[/snapback][/right]

Kev will poke at me when Castrol Edge comes out, don't you worry
But if you're running 100% synthetic, wouldn't it be OK to go past the 10K mark? For instance, I just put in some SAE 0W20 from Amsoil. Says up to 25,000 miles before a change. I was going to change every 10K. Should be good right?
tetra,Jan 27 2010, 12:55 PM Wrote:But if you're running 100% synthetic, wouldn't it be OK to go past the 10K mark? For instance, I just put in some SAE 0W20 from Amsoil. Says up to 25,000 miles before a change. I was going to change every 10K. Should be good right?
[right][snapback]300309[/snapback][/right]

The problem and hassle is. If you don't follow the recommended maintenance schedule Ford Canada has every legal right to try and deny any warranty claim. The Magnusson - Moss Act has no direct equivalent in Canada so its not quite as easy as saying "prove what I did caused the problem"

NefCanuck