FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Nbc Bringing Top Gear Pilot To United States!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NBC Bringing Top Gear Pilot to United States
01-15-2008
Source: Insideline

BURBANK, Calif. — NBC has ordered a pilot for an American version of the U.K. smash sensation Top Gear. Although the show apparently will feature a completely new cast, producers say it will still feature "the irreverent spirit of Top Gear."

With the Writers Guild of America still striking in full force, networks have been scrambling for non-scripted content. In practice, this has led to helpings of The Biggest Loser 5 and Celebrity Apprentice — and to NBC's decision to bring Top Gear to the United States.

The Office is the most recent example of a BBC program that has done well in a U.S. adaptation, and Top Gear is NBC's shot at repeating that success. The British show features the expected test-drives of supercars — but also more lighthearted segments such as a giant game of soccer with a bunch of tiny VWs, or a contest to see which host can build the best amphibious car to drive across a lake.

Ben Silverman, NBC co-chairman, seems to think it's a brilliant move. "Top Gear is a proven international hit which fits perfectly into NBC's lineup of programming with male appeal, including Sunday Night Football and American Gladiators," he said in a statement. "We're always looking for innovative ways to partner with our advertisers, and this show offers a great platform for the latest in car culture."

What this means to you: If NBC is using the show as "an innovative way to partner with their advertisers," will that stop the hosts from trashing vehicles, even if they're made by an NBC sponsor? Let's hope not.
It won't be the same.... :( no matter how "good" it seems, it won't be as good.
I agree with oldeguy, it wont be the same at all
that sounds awful... there's not many shows that get me excited as a brand new episode of top gear. Even the wife likes it. I think it's the personalities that make the show.. you can't duplicate the hammond/clarkson/may dyamic!
yeah... they're looking to repeat the success of the American adaptation of The Office.

And what did we learn from the Office? The American version will be a mere shell of the original..

you'll have three yokels doing flybyes on the interstate in SUVs, getting all excited over their 'hanlding prowess' and mocking them against their UK counterparts.

think Trucks meets 2 guys garage.

think suckage
Part of the appeal of Top Gear, besides the hosts, is that the vehicles are so much better than the US cars
oldeguy,Jan 18 2008, 10:48 AM Wrote:Part of the appeal of Top Gear, besides the hosts, is that the vehicles are so much better than the US cars
[right][snapback]256359[/snapback][/right]

I don't think that the US hosts are going to get that... it's going to be a constant case of "why buy a $80,000 V8 Vantage when you get more horsepower with a $50,000 Mustang Shelby".... never mind that entering a corner at speed results in a very Thunder Dome-esque, "Two will enter, one will leave" scenario..

and you can guess which car 'ain't coming out of said corner.
I refuse to watch a show that Americans will butcher before it even hits the screen.
After the 2 cars finish dueling they'll send the winner to get "pimped" by MTV.

Like the old adage goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I'm not a betting man but I don't see this show lasting for more than 1 season.
Update!

Quote:American Top Gear To Go "Celebrity Direction"

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — We've known for quite some time that the hit BBC show Top Gear is coming to America. Producers of the show originally wanted to use the British hosts for the U.S. version, but decided the trans-Atlantic shooting schedule would be too demanding.

In mid-January, NBC announced the U.S. version of Top Gear would air on its network rather than a cable outlet like Speed or ESPN. At the same time, BBC producers were feverishly screening American automotive writers as potential hosts, hoping to give the new show "journalistic credibility."

NBC has since decided to tweak its original plan. Several on-camera automotive journalist candidates received phone calls this week from the BBC stating the network now wanted to take the new Top Gear in more of a "celebrity direction."

An existing NBC relationship with known automotive enthusiast Jay Leno, and the fact that his current Tonight Show contract expires in 2009 could make Leno a front-runner. Actor and Porsche collector Jerry Seinfeld also has a lasting NBC relationship as evidenced by his guest stint on NBC's 30 Rock and heavy rotation of Bee Movie promos that also aired on the network. We wouldn't "bee" surprised to see him in the running as well.

What this means to you: Expect American Top Gear to air without the old-school car magazine editor in a threadbare tweed jacket. — Carol Moody, Correspondent
I tried to buy episodes of Top Gear Whle in London last summer, but they won't play in North American DVD players...

I'd love to get my hands on some, they're classics, especially the Auston Martin DB9 vs Cesna race from Italy to London one.

The show can't be the same without Clarkson, Hammond & May. But truith is I'd still check it out... It might encourage them to bring over the British version on Speed, or something!!!