FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 1st Gear Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Frequently when i shift into 1st from neutral at a stop, the gear will spit out on me. It seems like its engaged, but when i let off the clutch it will spit it out. Anyone know what causes this or how to remedy it? 2005 ST.
Hrm, not sure, but it definitely sounds like a dealer issue (Are you past the 3/60 bumper to bumper yet? :huh:)

NefCanuck
yea im around 72k.
Thinking about it, you might be covered by the powertrain warranty(5y/100k) depending on what it is...

What's your local Ford dealers diagnostic fee?

NefCanuck
isn't this a clutch issue? slippeg?
that sounds like it might be covered under the powertrain warranty .........make sure to ask before they start to hack apart the car.
Uh oh synchros............. I think your first gear synchro might be shot! Sooooo I'd definitly talk to the dealer and if its covered under warranty then do it....... but DO NOT sign off on anything until its forsure that its covered. If not take your work else were cause the stealership will charge you 3hrs to take the tranny out, then whatever it is to rebuild it (All Data tells me 10hrs for rebuild) then 3hrs to put it back in...... In reality any tranny shop can have that tranny out and back in, in about 3hrs, trust me I know ;)

Best case scenario is the shifter linkage which isnt bad to replace :)
^^this guys knows this trannies pretty damn good hehe
i was going to say linkages and syncro is also a posiblity but check under the hood for those stupid orange caps on the cables and play with them a lil bit push one in or out a lil and see if it makes a difference at all can be that they shifted on there own

so 1st and the Chepest check the cables
actually.. even cheaper might be just to be absolutely sure that you have the clutch pedal all the way to floor before you move the shifter. like.. get in there and make sure your floor mat isn't in the way etc

try to be really really conscious about slamming the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, then moving the shifter, and when its all the way in, then lift up the clutch pedal

i use to have a sort of similar 'issue' when i first got my sube when i would have a hard time getting the shifter into first and very occasionally hear a grind.. it turned out i didnt have the clutch ALL the way to the floor (clutch starts to engage pretty much right off the floor in a sube)

good luck, and try all the other cheap/easy fixes that the others recommend before dropping the transmission

also, if you do end up dropping the transmission and you plan to keep the car.. you should think about getting the rear main seal change, changing the clutch if you need to.. getting a lighter flywheel if you want one.. and if the tranny's apart anyway.. maybe a LSD or more aggressive final drive.... :)
I use to have the same problem with my car when it got cold.
The only thing that seems to have made it better was a transmission drain and fill.
Odds are its getting sticky in there.
Mason,Jan 17 2008, 08:05 PM Wrote:I use to have the same problem with my car when it got cold.
The only thing that seems to have made it better was a transmission drain and fill.
[right][snapback]256312[/snapback][/right]

it pops out of gear b/c of old oil? interesting.. i would have thought the synchros would grind instead?

the gear 300 oil on this page

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html

is supposed to be good stuff. i dont have personal experience with it though. also, for what its worth i'm not a fan of the redline stuff as it is known to kill sube gearboxes..
naz,Jan 17 2008, 06:26 PM Wrote:
Mason,Jan 17 2008, 08:05 PM Wrote:I use to have the same problem with my car when it got cold.
[right][snapback]256312[/snapback][/right]

it pops out of gear b/c of old oil? interesting.. i would have thought the synchros would grind instead?

the gear 300 oil on this page

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html

is supposed to be good stuff. i dont have personal experience with it though. also, for what its worth i'm not a fan of the redline stuff as it is known to kill sube gearboxes..
[right][snapback]256319[/snapback][/right]

I would have thought the same but after I did the fluid swap it improved. Once in a while it seems like it wants to do it but i just hold the shifter during first.

Ford told me its the transmission getting old and a fluid swap would help lubricate everything and clean it up a bit.
it could be as simple as a gear shift linkage cable could be in need of tightening.. i had this done on mine under premium care warranty
paolo,Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM Wrote:it could be as simple as a gear shift linkage cable could be in need of tightening..  i had this done on mine under premium care warranty
[right][snapback]256515[/snapback][/right]

Progress?
Mason,Jan 25 2008, 11:17 PM Wrote:
paolo,Jan 21 2008, 08:11 PM Wrote:it could be as simple as a gear shift linkage cable could be in need of tightening..  i had this done on mine under premium care warranty
[right][snapback]256515[/snapback][/right]

Progress?
[right][snapback]256857[/snapback][/right]

it fixed it right up, it was a successfull repair