FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Head Of Nuclear Safety Regulator Fired
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So many of you may have remembered about the Chalk River nuclear plant in recent news...

It was shut down by the safety regulator, which caused a shortage in medical isotopes. Parliament then voted the reactor be started back up just before Christmas.

And, now the person responsible for shutting down the reactor due to safety concerns has been fired.

Of course, there's a big political battle going on between her and the minister of natural resources -- but the fact remains that the minister would have known about the nuclear reactor's failure to meet safety regulations... and he could have known for months before the impact was felt that there would be a shortage of medical isotopes.

So am I the only one who's worried that the minister with his head up his ass gets to keep his job and recommission unsafe reactors, and the person responsible for ensuring nuclear safety gets fired for doing her job?

Am I missing something here?
First of all, where is Chalk River? I don't want to be anywhere near it. I live a "stones throw away" from a nuclear plant already.

Secondly, this firing is the result of a high profile person critisizing(sp) their boss. I won't get into the political leanings, 'cause i don't want to upset too many, but, it is a concern when you can't raise concerns about a matter of public safety.

I guess she wasn't covered under the Ministry of Labour Health and Safety Act B)
darkpuppet,Jan 16 2008, 12:38 PM Wrote:So many of you may have remembered about the Chalk River nuclear plant in recent news...

It was shut down by the safety regulator, which caused a shortage in medical isotopes.  Parliament then voted the reactor be started back up just before Christmas.

And, now the person responsible for shutting down the reactor due to safety concerns has been fired.

Of course, there's a big political battle going on between her and the minister of natural resources -- but the fact remains that the minister would have known about the nuclear reactor's failure to meet safety regulations... and he could have known for months before the impact was felt that there would be a shortage of medical isotopes.

So am I the only one who's worried that the minister with his head up his ass gets to keep his job and recommission unsafe reactors, and the person responsible for ensuring nuclear safety gets fired for doing her job?

Am I missing something here?
[right][snapback]256214[/snapback][/right]

Nope, you've got it right, bud. The Harpercrites have successfully deployed a Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field around Ottawa and the entire situation - making it bad to shut down a reactor for legitimate reasons. The only reason the legislation passed with unanimous support from all parties is who wants to known for stopping the flow of isotopes for diagnostic medecine?

um.. a Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field™ is emitted from a black turtleneck and is powered by charisma.

Neither of which the current government has.

This is more akin to Harper's determination to opress like Putin, and cover-up like Bush.
wow....im gonna be servesing power plants soon......

this is freacky
"This is more akin to Harper's determination to opress like Putin, and cover-up like Bush. "

This is a good line!.....because its so true.

;)
This sounds like a episode of '24". :lol:
I live a few hours down wind from that piece of crap power plant.
Some researchers seem to think it is one of the cause for the high rate of cancer patients around these parts.
I'm starting to think I should buy a "guyger counter" (sp?) to test everything I drink and eat!!!
I say shut the damn thing off and rebuild a new one elswhere!

signed: Concerned citizen!
Gravter,Jan 23 2008, 09:29 AM Wrote:I'm starting to think I should buy a "guyger counter" (sp?) to test everything I
[right][snapback]256595[/snapback][/right]

you can get a geiger counter that can detect all types of radiation and log it to your computer here

warning: not cheap!
I've lived near a nuclear plant for the past ten years. So far, no one in the family glow in the dark. :(
Aren't they building a new plant in New Brunswick somewhere?

DRyanC