FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Front Endlinks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried replacing my front endlinks yesterday, as it was +6 outside. However, I couldn't get the nuts to budge. Here are the steps I took, am I missing something?

Unbolted wheel
Jacked up car
Secured with jackstands
Removed wheel
Spray Endlinks nuts with PB Blaster
Place 5mm allen wrench into allen hole in the middle of the endlink bolt
Turn nut clockwise with 15mm wrench

Despite it being nice yesterday, there is now a 5cm of snow on the ground, and its cold out again. I contemplating taking this to a shop.
You need a breaker bar. or a 2x4 to gain leverage.
Burnin21 and I reamed on mine last summer and we're both big dudes.
We needed an extension bar to break them loose.
I never had a problem with mine just a problem with the new one going in. The wrench I had was too think to install so I had to grind it down to a thin one.
My uncle (mech at Midas) says they just use a torch and burn them off but they will still charge you 1 hour labour plus tax.
I tried doing this on my driveway ones as Anthony said you need big dudes with breaker bars.....Had to put everything back and take it to my mechanic where he had to torch them.....Focus's are full of seized up and rusty joints.
Don't even get me started on taking off rear control arms to change out the suspension....aagghhh
NikiterZTS,Jan 26 2010, 12:17 PM Wrote:I tried doing this on my driveway ones as Anthony said you need big dudes with breaker bars.....Had to put everything back and take it to my mechanic where he had to torch them.....Focus's are full of seized up and rusty joints.
Don't even get me started on taking off rear control arms to change out the suspension....aagghhh
[right][snapback]300185[/snapback][/right]

worst job ever.

The guys that put my springs in compressed them first and then put them in.
ANTHONYD,Jan 26 2010, 01:16 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jan 26 2010, 12:17 PM Wrote:I tried doing this on my driveway ones as Anthony said you need big dudes with breaker bars.....Had to put everything back and take it to my mechanic where he had to torch them.....Focus's are full of seized up and rusty joints.

worst job ever.

[right][snapback]300200[/snapback][/right]

had to do the same thing for mine. Guy hated that job.

When I was putting everything back to stock I had to get new control arms. Bushings are s*** and they seize up over bolts.
NikiterZTS,Jan 26 2010, 02:50 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Jan 26 2010, 01:16 PM Wrote:

worst job ever.

[right][snapback]300200[/snapback][/right]

had to do the same thing for mine. Guy hated that job.

When I was putting everything back to stock I had to get new control arms. Bushings are s*** and they seize up over bolts.
[right][snapback]300206[/snapback][/right]

same s*** happened to me. The more i cranked, the more the bushing fell apart. I dread the day i have to put the rear end of that car back to stock.
And here I was thinking this was be an easy way to save $100.

I tried again today using a socket to try and break the bolt free, no dice. And plus I'm sore from yesterday, I'm a pretty scrawny guy and was really reefing on that 15mm box end.

However, whatever I've done has quieted the noise signifigantly. If the noise doesn't come back, I'm going to hold of on replacing them until the spring when I have the SVT suspension put on.
I am about to install my third set on my 05.
Never had a problem getting them off though only back on.

Just like scorcher one of the sets had a really skinny area where the wrench wouldn't fit which ended up causing me problems cause I couldn't get them 100% tight.

The best pair I've had so far are the Moog re-greasable kind, easy to install.

castone,Jan 26 2010, 07:23 PM Wrote:I am about to install my third set on my 05.
Never had a problem getting them off though only back on.

Just like scorcher one of the sets had a really skinny area where the wrench wouldn't fit which ended up causing me problems cause I couldn't get them 100% tight.

The best pair I've had so far are the Moog re-greasable kind, easy to install.
[right][snapback]300242[/snapback][/right]

The moog re-greasable is what I used, much better then OE! =D