FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Brakes And 16" Wheels.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Refresh my memory for me, its been 4 years since I last considered doing any mods. I have to do brakes all round so was considering the SVT kit if one can still be found from BAT Inc. (or wherever-suggestions welcome).

If I remember right the SVT brakes will clear the 16" wheels? I have 17's already but would like to keep using the 16's for winter.

Thanks
Yes the SVT kit will clear your 16" winter rims

also try CFM their SVT kit looked promising, because you can upgrade when you order (SS lines instead of OEM, EBC instead of OEM, etc.) for more $$. But the SS lines at least would be worth while and last longer.
how exectly SS lines better then stock? i never saw a good reson of changing them.....
BLING FACTOR OFF THE CHARTS.
^^thats what i was thinking
NikiterZTS,Jan 7 2008, 07:53 PM Wrote:how exectly SS lines better then stock?  i never saw a good reson of changing them.....
[right][snapback]255752[/snapback][/right]
There is a difference with SS brake lines versus stock in that you will have a shorter stopping distance. I don't know all the scientific mumbo jumbo involved, and maybe Naz can be a little more informative, but i believe because the SS is more of a durable and stiif product with minimal flexiblity compared to the stock line, more braking power is sustained and applied to the brakes where as some is lost to the flexibility of the stock lines.
That's my understanding but I could be wrong.
NikiterZTS,Jan 7 2008, 08:28 PM Wrote:^^thats what i was thinking
[right][snapback]255759[/snapback][/right]
Well your both thinking like you don't know jack s***e.

This is what I picked up.................

In any braking system there is flex - in the pedal, in the caliper, but most of the flex is in the hose. Every time you step on your brake pedal, up to 1500 pounds of pressure moves brake fluid from the master cylinder to the caliper. Most of the way, the fluid moves through rigid steel lines. Unfortunately, these steel lines can not complete the journey all the way to the caliper because movement in the line is necessary to connect a non-moving part (the chassis) to a moving part (the brake assembly as attached to the wheel). These connecting hoses are made from rubber and nylon. Even with the nylon braiding inside the hose, when that much pressure hits it, it will expand. This expansion, or flex, weakens the braking system as it allows for loss of energy meant for the calipers. In a Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Hose, this flex is reduced dramatically. This means quicker pedal response and shorter braking distances.

Try doing a search on the net as it can be very helpful. :blink:
NikiterZTS,Jan 8 2008, 12:53 AM Wrote:how exectly SS lines better then stock?  i never saw a good reson of changing them.....
[right][snapback]255752[/snapback][/right]

they change brake pedal feel .. that's about it.. the change to brake performance (if any) is pretty much negligible i think

there's no reason to change them, other than you think they are bling or you like the pedal feel

also, in my opinion for the average user getting a brake fluid flush more often and changing to a different pad material is more cost effective because it changes both feel and performance

for what its worth i'm putting SS lines on my car soon because i like the feel
2001 ZTS,Jan 8 2008, 12:15 AM Wrote:(or wherever-suggestions welcome).
[right][snapback]255750[/snapback][/right]

ditch the impreza and focus and get one balla car.. used 996 C4S for 32k USD with around 40k miles comes to mind :)

or maybe get a duc ?

or maybe mode the sube instead?

don't see why you are modding the beater car
thanks for the info
Gee I feel missed, lots of replies and debate.

SS brake lines were "de riguour" (sp?) for motorcycles back when I modded mine in the 80's and probably before. Bikes have LONG brake lines from the handle bars to the front calipers (ie: many feet). Cars only have a few inches of flexible brake line, the rest being steel tubes. In almost all cases the flexible parts are "re-inforced" rubber .

Unlike air, any fluids (brake fluid included) cannot be compressed (thats the whole idea behind how hydralic systems work) . Because brakes are a closed system the fluid will always seek the weakest point. The idea being that all the pressure goes to the calipers to close them on the disc. However with rubber hoses some pressure is lost due to the fact the rubber hoses expand too. SS braided hoses reduce that, a LOT. In a car its not as much a diff as for a bike but it is still noticable. I put SS lines to all 4 corners of the Focus ages ago and it is a noticable improvement but........................

................there is something else bikers also used to do as well. Drain and fill brake fluid annually no matter your milage. It deteriorates over time. You can all manage well enough if you don't but if you like using brakes to their full, or need them, drain and fill annually. TRUST ME.

Changing your fluid more often is the better money spent but that AND braided lines is the best.

I use SS braided lines on oil tankers (ships) up to 10" diameter, 185^C fluids, 150 PSI and for lengths long enough to go from ship to shore plus flexible enough to compensate for changes in tide, seas, weather and draft.

Short version: good mod, flushing brake fluid is overlooked, do both: GOLDEN
naz,Jan 7 2008, 08:45 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Jan 8 2008, 12:15 AM Wrote:(or wherever-suggestions welcome).

ditch the impreza and focus and get one balla car.. used 996 C4S for 32k USD with around 40k miles comes to mind :)

or maybe get a duc ?

or maybe mode the sube instead?

don't see why you are modding the beater car
[right][snapback]255764[/snapback][/right]

As for you naz :

I am still getting by quite well on charm and good looks alone thank you. I don't need an over the top car to compensate. I rape the company for milage by using the Focus when duty calls and when fun calls the WRX is there. I am in a good place. Paid for in cash the day I bought them both.

There is a certain "cache" to owning 'many' cars too. I have already downsized anyway, I used to be able to say: "I have three cars and a motorcycle"
2001 ZTS,Jan 8 2008, 03:23 AM Wrote:I am still getting by quite well on charm and good looks alone thank you. I don't need an over the top car to compensate.
[right][snapback]255773[/snapback][/right]

i was thinking more along the lines of "if some is good, then more is better" ie if you are getting a solid amount of a$$ with the focus/wrx combo, maybe you can get a ridiculous amount of a$$ with an over the top sports car :ph34r: :D

btw you ever in SF bay area? drop me a line if you're ever on a ship that rolls through here

EDIT: if i take my own advice and ditch my sube for a 996 C4S will i have become a 'compensator' in your eyes :(
2001 ZTS,Jan 7 2008, 07:15 PM Wrote:was considering the SVT kit if one can still be found from BAT Inc. (or wherever-suggestions welcome).

Check the "New Products and Deals" section on FocalJet, there are 3 different site sponsers who are advertising the complete SVT focus brake conversion kit in stock. One sponser says free shipping, and another one says they will match anybodys price. Just an FYI so you can find the best price...
could we have just said is reduces brake fade?.....and that it would help the most if you used your car on the track?
D-Dub,Jan 8 2008, 09: Wrote:could we have just said is reduces brake fade?
[right][snapback]255798[/snapback][/right]

SS lines don't make a difference for fade

bigger rotor would help with fade, but could be negligible improvement since i don't believe the stock setup would see much fade with close to stock power

not saying its not a 'cool/good' upgrade.. just saying from an actual track performance standpoint its not cost effective... tossing on a set of R comps would help more
naz,Jan 8 2008, 03:35 AM Wrote:EDIT: if i take my own advice and ditch my sube for a 996 C4S will i have become a 'compensator' in your eyes  :(
[right][snapback]255778[/snapback][/right]

Maybe, but you'd get a thumbs-up from me. I love Subies, but Porsche is obviously > Subaru.
The problems with brake fade on the focus are due to the fact that there is inadequate cooling of the rotors .... I can warp a rotor on a focus faster than you can say "He warped a rotor" .... they just get too hot if you really lean on the brakes .....

First get a decent pad , get a stock rotor (or better if thats your thing ) and thirdly put some brake ducts in !!! get some air to the center vanes of the rotor. Thats the only thing that the car really needs is brake cooling. Otherwise no matter what setup besides something very large and expensive is not really going to work properly .

SS lines definatly take out some of the mush and improve pedal feel (which is important because no one likes to step on mushy brakes , as they are hard to modulate properly) They do not however reduce fade ... fade is a product of heat ... not flexible brake lines....
easyest brake cooling mod is riping out your inner fender well... no joke!

also runinhg better fluid will help transfer some heat from the calipers

and yes 16" wheels do fit over SVT brakes.. but they don't cool as well stuffed in those cozy rims...