FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: A Series Of Unfortunate Events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<rant>

Have you ever had those few weeks or months where nothing seems to be going right?

I honestly didn't know I had so much bad karma built up as to have to be dealing with so many annoying little road blocks the last while...

- Death in the family just before christmas (and the usual family feud)
- Mono over christmas
- Lost luggage over Christmas

and now, while trying to catch up on work on a project I'm supposed to be leading, and a mere few days before I have to submit my package to apply for a promotion, my work laptop dies.

Then I spend several hours on the phone because the help(less) desk keeps forwarding me to Atlanta Georgia -- and seriously, since when has an American been able to help out with a Canadian problem?

ugh...

oh well.. not like I can do any work until someone finds me a replacement laptop (2-3 days)... so I may miss the deadline for package submission, be stuck at the same paygrade for another year, and lose my position as team lead on this project...

this just blows.

</rant>

[edit] on the plus side, yesterday was my 10 year anniversary at my company... so my pension contribution goes up, and I may get an extra week of vacay... woot[/edit]
darkpuppet,Jan 7 2008, 11:12 AM Wrote:<rant>

Have you ever had those few weeks or months where nothing seems to be going right?

I honestly didn't know I had so much bad karma built up as to have to be dealing with so many annoying little road blocks the last while...

- Death in the family just before christmas (and the usual family feud)
- Mono over christmas
- Lost luggage over Christmas

and now, while trying to catch up on work on a project I'm supposed to be leading, and a mere few days before I have to submit my package to apply for a promotion, my work laptop dies.

Then I spend several hours on the phone because the help(less) desk keeps forwarding me to Atlanta Georgia -- and seriously, since when has an American been able to help out with a Canadian problem?

ugh...

oh well.. not like I can do any work until someone finds me a replacement laptop (2-3 days)... so I may miss the deadline for package submission, be stuck at the same paygrade for another year, and lose my position as team lead on this project...

this just blows.

</rant>

[edit] on the plus side, yesterday was my 10 year anniversary at my company... so my pension contribution goes up, and I may get an extra week of vacay...  woot[/edit]
[right][snapback]255721[/snapback][/right]
First of all, sorry to hear about the death, and the ensuing "B*****it
Secondly, see what happens when you sell a Focus and buy something else :rolleyes:
That sucks Steve, but if your company can't be understanding of the fact that you laptop tanked... well, that just shows that they're being more than a tad stolid.

Sorry to hear about the death in the fam, that's never good and doubly so at Christmas. :(

Gimme a shout if you wanna talk some.
Sorry to hear about all the problems Steve :(

I think that your company would be a little understanding about the laptop. And if the hard drive works, why not have one of the IT geeks swap drives so you can get your information someplace safe in the meantime? Especially with your time at the company, you'd think they would give you a little wiggle room.

I think a beer or 2 may be calling..

And congrats on the 10 years & extra vacation! woohoo!
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 7 2008, 11:24 AM Wrote:That sucks Steve, but if your company can't be understanding of the fact that you laptop tanked... well, that just shows that they're being more than a tad stolid.

Sorry to hear about the death in the fam, that's never good and doubly so at Christmas. :(

Gimme a shout if you wanna talk some.
[right][snapback]255724[/snapback][/right]

yeah.. you'd think that an IT company would have a better way of dealing with workstation failures.. but they don't.

As part of their "Employee Driven IT Support", you have to troubleshoot the problem, then open a ticket.. for hardware issues like mine, you call another hardware support number. If you get forwarded to the number from the Help Desk automated switchboard, you'll invariable end up in Atlanta Georgia, and they can't do squat for you.

Eventually, you'll try the hardware number on your own for s***s and giggles, get the right person, and get a ticket opened for an emergency replacement, which will go to another support group which will ship it from wherever and you get your new chasis that you must swap everything into in 2-3 business days.

The smart move was eliminating deskside support, 'cause honestly, any employee can read through the scripts the help desk reads through and do the initial troubleshooting.

Where it fails is the addition of support desks to support emergency repairs that take 2-3 business days to do anything.

-------
As for the death in the family, the whole situation is weird. He's still chilling in a corner at the funeral home (going on a month now) waiting for his daughter to do something about it.... While I wasn't the closest to my uncle, he was my mom's brother, my grandmother's son, and my brother's role model -- and for a guy to 'disappear' and go forgotten like his daughter has let him hasn't helped the grieving process for those who really cared about the guy.
Geez DP, when you have issues, you have issues

Regarding the Help(less) Desk, oh how I feel your pain, moreso than you know because around here I'm expected to be able to fix anything that breaks regardless of the what and the why and when I tell them to call the Help Desk, the Help(less) Desk invariably calls me because they can't explain to my co-workers in plain & simple terms how to fix what the IT department has invaribly botched doing "system maintenance" :rolleyes:

I can't see your company holding you responsibe and bypassing you for a raise because of something that you had no control over though :huh:

As to your issue with your uncle, god do I know what you're talking about... hell there's still stuff going on regarding my dad's passing that would make your nose hairs curl :angry

NefCanuck
I feel your pain man, last year I had 6 deaths in 4 weeks in the spring, altogether last year I went to 9 funerals, one wedding, went through absolute living f'n hell with a bitch (sorry ladies who may read this but that's about the nicest thing I can muster up about her) unfortunately still going through some hell with her. Almost died due to an error in prescribed medications, had 16 stress fractures in my foot resulting in losing a job (which in the long run ended up pretty good because I've got a way better job now). Went through a severe amount of depression for a good chunk of last year that had me staring at the bottom of probably a hundred bottles of JD and Crown over the spring/summer.

I vowed on New Years Eve that it was going to a way better year, started off pretty good, started dating a really cool girl on New Years Eve, taking it slowly but it's good. She's making me realize that not all women are evil. I'm really glad to have her right now. I just found out on Saturday that one of my best friends killed himself on New Years day. I talked to him on the 31st, he was really up in spirits, his divorce had just been finalized the 2nd week of December, his job was going great etc. I'd invited him to the bar I dj at for the night but he said he had plans. I never caught onto anything being wrong at all. I have to speak at his funeral on Wed, as per his Dad's request but I'm not sure what to say, I have a hard time with suicide, I mean, really, can it be that bad? I guess for some it can but s***, you know. I guess just remember the good times, the laughs etc. At least we're having the wake at a hall and we are able to drink so I can quote a little Tupac and "Pour out a little liquor." I think a couple bottles of Hennesy to go around would be good.

Wow, went on a little there. Sorry folks, I guess I had to vent a bit.
There are always going to be litte(and big) hiccups in our own roads of life. That's what makes life interesting and developing you as a person and the makeup of one's individualism.
But you just have to get through it. Life's a bitch. Get over it.
There are so many positive things in our own individual lives that can create great pleasures for us that we seem to overlook.
Puppet..........You now are on the road of what could be a great relationship with a new woman. Your almost complete of another project at work that will give you some satisfaction in completing a job to the best of your ability with a solid self "pat on the back". You've got friends and family that care about you and are there for you in a time of need. You've got a good job that your happy with. You have a roof over your head and everything that goes with that(food, clothing a nice car).
In 2007 what I did learn from life is that there is no control over your own life. Just go with the flow and do what you can to make your life better. Laugh it off as one day it will make a good story for the grandkids.
Life could be alot worse.
Chin up.
i see your new gf gave u something nice.......(Mono)
NikiterZTS,Jan 7 2008, 09:30 PM Wrote:i see your new gf gave u something nice.......(Mono)
[right][snapback]255760[/snapback][/right]

yeah, apparently I kiss unclean girls :P... tho she's never had mono... it doesn't seem fair!

Meford, I totally get what you're saying.. I'm not down about anything, just stressed out a little 'cause of all the little things that have been interfering with plans.

As you said, life is good... hell, I've even tripped on the way to get a laptop upgrade a full 6 months before I'm scheduled to (break 2 of the old ones in under 4 months).

Now all I have to do is get my stuff done so I can apply for promotion, sit tight until my performance review tomorrow.

Btw.. bringing the GF to Dave and Busters on Friday -- yup.. I'm a risk taker!