FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Cars In Canada And U.s.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Just months after receiving flack for quality problems, Toyota announced Thursday a voluntary recall of approximately 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to rectify a "sticking accelerator pedal."

The auto makers said the recall is needed because in certain rare cases, the gas pedal mechanism wears down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to return or, in some cases, stuck.

The recall affects the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Toyota made a similar recall of 4.2 million cars last November over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. The company now admits that the problem stemmed from the actual gas pedals themselves.

While the November recall did not apply to Toyota's Canada's vehicles, the company said it would still make changes to the gas pedals and floors of some of its vehicles and install a brake override system on some.

The sad thing is that this is unlikely to change people's perceptions of Toyota...

A friend's wife, even in light of recent quality concerns, wants to buy a Toyota because her mother had one for 15 years.
darkpuppet,Jan 25 2010, 11:57 AM Wrote:
Quote:Just months after receiving flack for quality problems, Toyota announced Thursday a voluntary recall of approximately 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. and Canada to rectify a "sticking accelerator pedal."

The auto makers said the recall is needed because in certain rare cases, the gas pedal mechanism wears down, causing the accelerator to become harder to press, slower to return or, in some cases, stuck.

The recall affects the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla, the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Toyota made a similar recall of 4.2 million cars last November over concerns that accelerator pedals could become lodged under floor mats, causing sudden acceleration. The company now admits that the problem stemmed from the actual gas pedals themselves.

While the November recall did not apply to Toyota's Canada's vehicles, the company said it would still make changes to the gas pedals and floors of some of its vehicles and install a brake override system on some.

The sad thing is that this is unlikely to change people's perceptions of Toyota...

A friend's wife, even in light of recent quality concerns, wants to buy a Toyota because her mother had one for 15 years.
[right][snapback]300126[/snapback][/right]

My wife's family is all Toyota all the time. Makes me sick.
The Tercel on the other hand, was a wonderful car. My wife didn't have to do ANYTHING to it.
Mind you, it was a 96, back when they made a decent product.

The kicker is, the financing rates and demand on these cars is still VERY strong.
Same thing with VW. Garbage build quality lately, yet they still demand top coin and 9.5% financing.

Something is wrong here.
the good news is that neither vw nor toyota make any vehicles I personally want.... so at least I'm not missing out on anything.
"Same thing with VW. Garbage build quality lately, yet they still demand top coin and 9.5% financing."

Thats not true by any means, Ive got a rate of 3.9% and for the past two years the quality has improved significantly. Also they offer a 4 year 80k warranty bumper to bumper.

Top coin is demanded because when you sit or drive, it doesnt feel like a plastic brick like say a Kia or Hyundai.

Out of all the asian cars Toyota and Honda still have the best overall quality.

I love those new GTI's. When I set in one it felt like a $60k car. Now I just need to test drive it.
Quote:The folks over at Kicking Tires spoke with National Manager of Environmental Safety and Quality for Toyota, John Hanson, who revealed that vehicles affected by the recall are still sitting on dealer lots for customers to purchase in spite of their potentially defective accelerator pedal mechanisms. Hanson said the reason that Toyota is letting dealers still sell the vehicles even though they may have to come back in for repair is because the problem tends to appear after extended wear. However, since Toyota doesn't yet have a fix figured out, dealers can reportedly only replace the defective pedal mechanisms with new mechanisms of the same type for now. Hanson is also reportedly unsure about whether or not the vehicles affected by the recall are still being manufactured, but said he thought the lines involved were down.
Holy crap DP,

That's insane, if any of the "Detroit Three" pulled a stunt like this they would be tarred and feathered and burned in effigy (and then the public would get mean :ph34r:)

Makes me wonder just what it will take to get people to open their eyes about Toyota and what they really think of their customers <_<

NefCanuck
D-Dub,Jan 25 2010, 05: Wrote:"Same thing with VW. Garbage build quality lately, yet they still demand top coin and 9.5% financing."

Thats not true by any means, Ive got a rate of 3.9% and for the past two years the quality has improved significantly. Also they offer a 4 year 80k warranty bumper to bumper.

Top coin is demanded because when you sit or drive, it doesnt feel like a plastic brick like say a Kia or Hyundai.

Out of all the asian cars Toyota and Honda still have the best overall quality.
[right][snapback]300134[/snapback][/right]

Yeah! We have a 2010 Golf TDI and 2002 Jetta TDI, night and day different about these two cars. Built quality, sound, touch. Its all changed now. Also love the CDN 4yr warranty as opposed to US that only gets 3yrs :)

Will have to see what the new Fiesta and Focus are going to be compared to VW Golf.
On the other hand, my GF brought her car in for an oil change and got salt and pepper mills.. Nissan salt and pepper mills.

I think I got a water bottle once... sigh
darkpuppet,Jan 25 2010, 12:07 PM Wrote:the good news is that neither vw nor toyota make any vehicles I personally want.... so at least I'm not missing out on anything.
[right][snapback]300129[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I can say the same thing I fall a sleep every time I'm in my friends 2007 Corolla because it's so boring, I almost fell a sleep driving it once... I guess thats why when I buy my Toyota's it's from the peppy era (the 80's).. since the 1992 american influance in their product line their products have become bloated and borring.

the funny thing is when people ask me about the all new Tundra I tell them keep in mind it's been recalled 18 times now with the current recalls, but 12 of them are for the drive axel, and transfurcase.
darkpuppet,Jan 25 2010, 03:04 PM Wrote:On the other hand, my GF brought her car in for an oil change and got salt and pepper mills..  Nissan salt and pepper mills.

[right][snapback]300144[/snapback][/right]

Better than I ever managed, all I ever got was the dinky screwdriver set... twice <_<

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jan 25 2010, 10:36 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jan 25 2010, 03:04 PM Wrote:On the other hand, my GF brought her car in for an oil change and got salt and pepper mills..  Nissan salt and pepper mills.

[right][snapback]300144[/snapback][/right]

Better than I ever managed, all I ever got was the dinky screwdriver set... twice <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]300162[/snapback][/right]

did I mention that the water bottle isn't BPA free?
Yeah kudos to FORD on making some really amazing cars with innovative technology and great performance ie. fusion, F-150 and even Chevrolet has always made great cars but real impressed with their Traverse.

It's great to hear FORD profited 2.8b. Keep it up Ford and Chevy! (and GMC too....great stuff).
cornflakes,Jan 28 2010, 10:09 AM Wrote:Yeah kudos to FORD on making some really amazing cars with innovative technology and great performance ie. fusion, F-150  and even Chevrolet has always made great cars but real impressed with their Traverse.

It's great to hear FORD profited 2.8b.  Keep it up Ford and Chevy! (and GMC too....great stuff).
[right][snapback]300355[/snapback][/right]

I was never really a fan of GM, but i was very impressed with there 2010 Equinox. The interior fit-n-finish was wayyyyy better then i had expected.
Quote:In related news, Toyota has squashed their entire lineup of SuperBowl advertisements featuring well-reknown music artists that were aimed at striking a chord with the American public.

Most notable among the artists:

Bon Jovi performing "(She's A Little) Runaway"
REO Speedwagon's "I Can't Fight This Feeling Any Longer"
Sammy Hagar with Chickenfoot performing "I Can't Drive 55"
and
The Red Hot Chili Peppers doing "Can't Stop".

Toyota's President of U.S. Sales, Jim Lentz, expressed his disappointment in the decision, "We have worked hard to bring these commercials to market, it is unfortunate that in light of our current situation that we have to pull them. We are currently in talks with a few other acts to take their place."

Rumored to be among the frontrunners for the new acts are the bands, "The Go-Go's", "Faster, Pussycat" and "WHAM!".
  -AP Newswire
OAC_Sparky,Feb 2 2010, 11:36 AM Wrote:
Quote:In related news, Toyota has squashed their entire lineup of SuperBowl advertisements featuring well-reknown music artists that were aimed at striking a chord with the American public.

Most notable among the artists:

Bon Jovi performing "(She's A Little) Runaway"
REO Speedwagon's "I Can't Fight This Feeling Any Longer"
Sammy Hagar with Chickenfoot performing "I Can't Drive 55"
and
The Red Hot Chili Peppers doing "Can't Stop".

Toyota's President of U.S. Sales, Jim Lentz, expressed his disappointment in the decision, "We have worked hard to bring these commercials to market, it is unfortunate that in light of our current situation that we have to pull them. We are currently in talks with a few other acts to take their place."

Rumored to be among the frontrunners for the new acts are the bands, "The Go-Go's", "Faster, Pussycat" and "WHAM!".
  -AP Newswire
[right][snapback]300608[/snapback][/right]

Oh and I just heard that Toyota dropped its TV sponorship of the movie "Speed Racer" :lol:

He's off and flying as he guns the car around the track / he's jammin' down the pedal like he's never coming back...

NefCanuck