FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Teen Charged After Trying To Race Unmarked Cop Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/291077

Quote:An 18-year-old driving his parents’ new car on the highway near Windsor today tried to race an unmarked police car this morning, reaching 160 km/h before he was arrested.

Sgt. Cam Woolley of the OPP said the detachment commander with Chatham-Kent OPP was driving toward Windsor in an unmarked Chevrolet Impala with tinted windows when a young man pulled up alongside him in a Chrysler 300. The driver tried repeatedly to get the uniformed officer to race, not allowing him to pass and travelling at higher and higher speeds.

When the Chrysler’s speed reached 160 km/h, the officer stopped the young motorist out of concern for safety.

“The officer didn’t want to go higher,” Woolley said. “He felt the young man would have kept increasing in speed.”

The young man is a beginner driver at the second stage of the graduated licensing program, with a G2 class license.

Woolley said, “He was playing tough guy until he got stopped. Then he cried until his parents got there.”

The young man’s licence has been suspended and the car impounded for a week. The minimum penalty for street racing is a $2,000 fine.

The officer’s unmarked Chevrolet Impala does not look like a police car and is used to hunt for aggressive drivers.

The incident occurred just days after an 85-year-old Thornhill man was charged under street racing legislation which came into effect on Sept. 30. Police say the elderly motorist was driving at 161 km/h. He is the oldest person charged under the new legislation.
torradan,Jan 5 2008, 06:17 AM Wrote:http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/291077
The officer’s unmarked Chevrolet Impala does not look like a police car and is used to hunt for aggressive drivers.

Sure who would suspect an impala :ph34r:
hardk0re,Jan 5 2008, 09:02 AM Wrote:
torradan,Jan 5 2008, 06:17 AM Wrote:http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/291077

Sure who would suspect an impala :ph34r:
[right][snapback]255622[/snapback][/right]
Impalas and LTDs.
I always approach them with caution, until I see the really old person driving them B)
hahah thats gotta the funniest thing i've ever read... Wat a dumb kid hey i wanna go street race i know i'll try to find an Impala the cars Cops use...
Sounds fake but still.

What a tool.
Oh mr. police officer waited till the young driver reached speeds of 160km/h. That's bulls***, cop could have stopped him at 130, but decided to wait till he went over the 150 mark. If he wanted to consider safety, he would have stopped the little bastard before hitting 150.
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 5 2008, 01:59 PM Wrote:Oh mr. police officer waited till the young driver reached speeds of 160km/h.  That's bulls***, cop could have stopped him at 130, but decided to wait till he went over the 150 mark.  If he wanted to consider safety, he would have stopped the little bastard before hitting 150.
[right][snapback]255633[/snapback][/right]

that is a pretty interesting point
sounds like entrapment to me.
Frost__2001,Jan 5 2008, 02:23 PM Wrote:sounds like entrapment to me.
[right][snapback]255635[/snapback][/right]

X2. 30 over isn't enough anymore.... they wanted another conviction under Fantino's fave, the new street racing law.
^^ X3 the cop waited... The more they pull over and charge with that law the better it makes the cops look...

Stupid kid for doing 160 on a public road but stupid cop for not pulling hom over sooner

I wonder how fast the cop was going
I dont think the cop will have a chance in court. If the cop was racing with this kid, then the cop would have encouraged him. Remember with no flashing lights the cop is just a regular person. The cop was putting other cars in danger as well for travelling the same speed. I guess they were both doing 160, if they were racing!

I do remember a similar case while back and it was trown out. The judge bitched at the crown attorney and the cop for putting others in risk for trapping a speeder.
Quote:The driver tried repeatedly to get the uniformed officer to race

UNIFORMED officer?!?!

wow that was a stupid kid
Hrm, okay let's look at this from a legal angle for a sec...

Dipstick driver pulls ahead of cop and is obviously speeding correct?

Is it not in the interest of public safety to shut down this tool as soon as he begins behaving in a dangerous and aggressive manner on the roads?

Therefore, cop could have and should have shut him down long before the kid cracked "Fantino's Fifty Law"

If all they charge him with is the over 50, they're screwed, even if they tack on the aggressive driving charges I can see the defense lawyer using the entrapment angle... and quite possible winning...

NefCanuck
If you the kid gets a good lawyer and a judge who has half a brain then yes it could get thrown out ... But if you get a public defender the judge isnt going to take the side of the kid..

Look at it from a political stand point if one case gets kicked it opens a windows and shows cracks in the system... Its all about 1 hand washing the other.....

Really either way you look at it both parties screwed up.. The Kid should have been speeding.. Nor should he have been racing on public roads.. Its wreckless dangerous and down right stupid.. The cop should have pulled him over right away to prevent other drivers from potentially getting hurt or killed.

But in the cops defense i doubt the kid will be speeding anymore.. hell i doubt he will drive anymore with the way his insurance will look.. Soo in a way he did take a harazard off the road but he didnt do it in the most honest of ways.
as much as I am on the side of the police... "Pacing" to determining speed IE basing the other vehicle's speed on your speedometer is no longer legal. there's no question this kid was stupid... and the officer probly should have not antagonized him to reach dangerous speeds we'll see how this pans out.
exactly that's f**ked up...the cop was racing with him and waiting until 160km/h where he felt the speed was too high now and so he pulls him over? LMFAO! the cop is the guilty and dangerous driver here.....he should be charged and fined $2000 with his license suspended and car impounded!