FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ontario's Ride Program Over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ontario's RIDE program over, but checks will continue all year
January 4, 2007

Orillia, Ontario - The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) reports that it stopped a total of 846,440 vehicles during the annual Festive Season Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere (RIDE) Program.

The program began November 28, 2007 and ran to January 2, 2008, with OPP and municipal police services across the country participating in the program. During that time, the OPP charged 336 people with alcohol-related Criminal Code offenses, suspended 856 drivers' licenses for 12 hours, and laid 3,273 additional charges under the Highway Traffic Act.

During last year's program, the OPP stopped 811,869 vehicles, charging 339 motorists with alcohol-related Criminal Code driving offenses and issuing 797 12-hour suspensions. Three people died in collisions directly related to alcohol during the 2007 RIDE initiative, one more than during the same period in 2006.

"Impaired driving continues to be the leading criminal cause of death in Canada," said OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino. "I am disappointed that a small number of people continue to drink and drive. A small number of people still believe they are immune to the law. Overall, 449 people were killed on highways patrolled by the OPP in 2007. Of that total, 80 are alcohol-related. That's totally unacceptable."

The OPP reminds motorists that while the festive season program is now over, RIDE checks continue throughout the year.

I think its good they have these ride programs and its good that the numbers are falling......... but if Impaired driving continues to be the leading criminal cause of death in Canada then why are they pulling rental cars over for doing 50km/h over the limit and deeming them as street racers :lol: Makes no sense.......
Because no politician has the guts to make drunk driving laws that actually have teeth in them from the start...

It's all about "second chances" screw that, you drive drunk once as far as I'm concerned and your license is GONE!

Do it again after your license was yanked? Guess what, you're going away to the Crowbar Hilton (jail) for a VERY long time...

Do this and I guarantee that drunk driving would fall off the map as a cause of death or injury.

NefCanuck