FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bc: Cops In Drive-thrus To Look For Drunk Drivers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cops in drive-thrus to look for drunk drivers
Updated Thu. Jan. 3 2008 6:31 PM ET

The Canadian Press

SURREY, B.C. -- The next time you go to a drive-thru fast food restaurant in Surrey, B.C., it may be a Mountie who asks `You want fries with that?'

In a new twist on efforts to catch impaired drivers, the RCMP is stationing officers inside the drive-thru section of fast food restaurants late at night, with the officers looking for signs that patrons in their cars may be drunk.

If an officer hears slurred speech or smells stale liquor, he can warn another Mountie who stops the vehicle as it drives away.

Sgt. Roger Morrow says since the program began late last year, police have made several impaired driving arrests and issued 215 suspensions.

He says the merchants who are co-operating with police find the program very entertaining.
lol....funny,funny cops
Not that I condone drinking and driving, but is it illegal to have had 2 beers and operate a vehicle in a parking lot? Do these cops need to wait until the vehicle actually gets on the road?

Just wondering if the cops are reaching out a little to far. Seems strange to have cops working at a company drive through to catch criminals.

Also, to they get paid minimum wage and are they required to wear a silly uniform like the rest of the staff? - JOKES

In Ontario they started doing spot checks in the morning to catch people who were out partying the night before and are still legally drunk on their way to work.

FocusFreak,Jan 4 2008, 10:32 AM Wrote:Not that I condone drinking and driving, but is it illegal to have had 2 beers and operate a vehicle in a parking lot?
To answer your question, you can be in the driver seat with the keys in the ignition without it running and that is operation of a motor vehicle.
Now, for the 2 beers part, that all depends on the size of the individual. Myself, 2 beers would not put me over the limit as I have been tested with 5 beers in my system(1.5 hours of drinking), I felt as though I was not able to drive, and blew into a breathalizer and I tested below the legal limit but damn close to the 24 hour suspension. Even ehough I did not drive, nor did I feel I was legally able to drive, the police and their meter said I was okay. Now a 150lb female with 5 drinks in her, she would blow over because of her size. But I know a few guys that would gladly drive her home and take her around the bend again. :P
meford4u,Jan 4 2008, 11:40 AM Wrote:Now a 150lb female with 5 drinks in her, she would blow over because of her size.  But I know a few guys that would gladly drive her home and take her around the bend again. :P
[right][snapback]255570[/snapback][/right]
A 150lb female with 5 drinks in her might be convinced to blow more than just a breathalyzer. ;)
you know the odd things I though when I was in Kelowna back in Mar of 04 was their ride checks out there are really messed up as the RCMP didn't have their lights on or road flares or anything to show it was a ride check, I almost honked at the car infront of me becuase I thought he was stoped for no reason...
LOL they've done that here in Windsor for a while now... pull up for a whopper w cheese... and there's an officer behind the bk girl checkin up.. prety smart
FocusFreak,Jan 4 2008, 10:32 AM Wrote:In Ontario they started doing spot checks in the morning to catch people who were out partying the night before and are still legally drunk on their way to work.
[right][snapback]255569[/snapback][/right]

one of my close friends go busted like that

he was partying all day in toronto, then went to sleep at midnight. woke up around 6am. started driving to kitchener taking 401. somebody cut him off so he had to swerv and totaled his civic.....cop came, did a test on him and gave him DUI....simply because alcohole was still in his blood (i guess over the limit?)
around here mcdonalds reports you .... i dont drink and drive so not worried about it...
NikiterZTS,Jan 5 2008, 01:09 PM Wrote:one of my close friends go busted like that

he was partying all day in toronto, then went to sleep at midnight. woke up around 6am. started driving to kitchener taking 401. somebody cut him off so he had to swerv and totaled his civic.....cop came, did a test on him and gave him DUI....simply because alcohole was still in his blood (i guess over the limit?)

and because he was drunk and crashed his car :rolleyes:

As for being busted in a parking lot, 20 years ago my bud got nailed for being drunk and in control of a motor vehicle while he was sleeping in the back of his truck in the bar parking lot (anyone remember O'Tooles in Oakville?) and that's even without being in possession of the keys.

One night in BC it was pissing rain (seriously) and the cops had a spotcheck on a rural road. We could barely see them and I'm surprised noone got killed. I've never been pulled over in Ontario when it was raining.
i have a buddy who was piss drunk driving on his way home stopped at mc donalds ordered his food and passed out in the drive thru lane, hes paid his fines now its a waiting game
I don't think it was in Ontario, but I was told that cops were going around to bar parking lots and placing a sticker on everyones headlights. At the end of the night they would be parked down the road and be able to identify oncoming vehicles that were potential drunk drivers.