FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stereo Staying On ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What could cause my stereo to stay on when the key is removed ? no I cant bring it in for warranty since I had tapped into wires before for a loc .... what could cause it it just started doing it...
Does it shut off when you press the OFF button? Could it be the HOT and IGN wires are touching? or backwards? Do you loose your memory stations and clock settings all the time?

the stereo doesn't see the ignition power, so its constantly on i think.

Also some stereos have the 1hr shut off option, could that be it?
is it aftermarket??
i see ppl twist battery wire and acc wire together from the harness
stock stereo , If I shut it off , the clock stays on and I can still turn it on it should stay off...
My gf's ex '04 ZX5 used to always display the time no matter what.
And I could turn it on without car keys. It would turn off after one hour if I did not turn it off myself.
zx5power,Jan 2 2008, 11:45 AM Wrote:stock stereo , If I shut it off , the clock stays on and I can still turn it on it should stay off...
[right][snapback]255382[/snapback][/right]

what you are describing is exactly how it is supposed to behave. my '00 zx3 did that exact same thing.

after a while (like 15min or so) you won't be able to turn it on anymore and the clock will turn off too

as long as you can turn off the music by pressing the off button on the radio its fine don't worry about it
I have an 06 with the new deck ... also the cd player played for 2 days before I noticed so it didnt shut off... it used to always turn off and the only way it would show the time or play is if the keys were in ignition..
weird..i guess it is canadian focus thing..
mine is from california and i couldn't turn it on with my key out..
the GEM module does this. Richard aka GapBoyPCS was the first to discover that his focus clock stayed on after they replaced his GEM module. mine is an 02 and does not do it, so it seems to be coincidence with a newer gem module and NOT the newer radio module.
oh good info~!!

mine is early 2000, so this might not apply to mine..
Isn't this an old focus trick for the stock radio? I remember a thread about this long ago.

After turning the ignition to the off position and pulling the key you can get 1 hour of radio playing time by hitting the radio on/off button (the display will show "1 HR".) Hit the on/off button again and the radio will turn off. I just tried it in the garage and it works!

Are you accidently hitting the radio on/off button after pulling the key?
Maybe the stereo will stay on until you open the door? I know my escape does that.

You should provide some more details about your ride.
-What year is it?
-Which stereo do you have?
-You mentioned you have changed some wiring behind the deck, what were these changes?
today it shuts off , got to be something messed up somewhere ... gem module was replaced so never know...