FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I'm Gonna Punt This Thing - Sony Ericsson W580i
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, this is beginning to piss me off. I know I can have specific ring tones/tunes for each caller, as well as a custom ringtone/tune for all calls not in contacts. I know where to change this.

Question - how the phuck do I do it from my own music? I've even tried a free website that just chops the song into a 10-20 sec piece, and I'll retry Nero Wave Editor later as well.

I'm NOT paying for music I already have... hopefully.

Paolo? Anyone? I have the USB cable, I know how to flip between Phone and File Transfer mode, etc. I just want to use my own music for ringtones! I can get the files to the phone, but when I go to Ring Tunes and drill down through the Music library to the folder I want to use... it just says "no files found".

I've tried wave, MP3 and the only other thing that works (and is ghetto) is letting the Sound Recorder hear the song on my comp speaks and saving the file as an AMR file. Those work for some reason.

I've got the phone through Rogers if that helps at all.

Thanks fellas, and a Happy New Year to all!
If you want to use the MP3's as ring tones you need to transfer them into .wav or .avi format. I have the same phone and that's what I did.
Alec Brandon,Dec 31 2007, 05:22 PM Wrote:If you want to use the MP3's as ring tones you need to transfer them into .wav or .avi format.  I have the same phone and that's what I did.
[right][snapback]255338[/snapback][/right]

^ Yep, or you can also get DRM converter, it adds drm to make your phone think it was purchased
All new phones have whats called Digital Rights Management (DRM), it only allows licenced music to be "applied as a ringtone" You can copy music, but the phone can tell where that mp3 came from. YES You can Bypass the DRM restiction with programs such as the Sony Ericsson DRM Packerager. This encodes the file with the digital rights but the DRM is still pretty smart to know "HOW" the file was sent to the phone. Usually, you will NOT be able to blue tooth it over because it can still tell, so you may have to upload it via PC Suite connectivity with a data cable, OR download it via multimedia messaging or WAP from a personal web site (charges may apply for download usage)

My personal favourite is to use pc suite and download it to your phone after you DRM the files. OR you can unbrand your phone (voids warranty) or lastly, you can actually *gulp* purchase the songs legitamately from your carriers WAP Portal / Online Store.
Just punt it, I've gone through four of them and have yet to send out this current one... I've since replaced it with a Blackberry and don't see myself turning back anytime soon.
Hmm, I'll check it out when I'm sober :P

I found the DRM packager, but I'll still wait to try it!

Thanks fellas, happy new year!
euro_zx5,Jan 1 2008, 12:23 AM Wrote:Just punt it, I've gone through four of them and have yet to send out this current one... I've since replaced it with a Blackberry and don't see myself turning back anytime soon.
[right][snapback]255353[/snapback][/right]

Agreed^^^

With a microSD card, there is no need for a separate MP3 player and anyone of my MP3 tunes can be played as the ringtone.

With work issuing the phone for email connectivity, I can't complain about the price.

Oh yah, I think you can use it as a phone as well.
dBlast,Jan 1 2008, 10:36 AM Wrote:anyone of my MP3 tunes can be played as the ringtone.
[right][snapback]255362[/snapback][/right]
Looks like you lucked out and got a phone that does NOT have DRM protection on it. Good stuff!! Those are keepers
Whatever, I give up. I guess I'll wait a while and then bend over and give Rogers more cash it doesn't need so I can have two copies of songs I like. :rolleyes:

Love the phone, love the plan, hate the setup.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 1 2008, 06:54 PM Wrote:Whatever, I give up. I guess I'll wait a while and then bend over and give Rogers more cash it doesn't need so I can have two copies of songs I like. :rolleyes:

Love the phone, love the plan, hate the setup.
[right][snapback]255371[/snapback][/right]

Its funny how I have no clue what phone you have, you never specified, yet I was able to provide you a workable solution. When ever u want help with it, you know who to give a shout to...
^^ it's in the subject of the post :rolleyes: