FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Futureshop Computer Wtf?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I picked up the new PC today that I got from Futureshop's Boxing Day Sale, 200.00 for a not bad little spare PC.

Like all computers and cars I buy, I usually rip underneath the hood to see the internals.

Low and behold this is what I see:

[Image: Img_0998.jpg]

Now I ain't no rocket scientist so this looks weird to me. Seems the geniuses at FS put in a 20pin power supply instead of a 24pin.

I haven't booted up the computer yet, nor hooked it up, but will this be alright for the time being?

I'm thinking about marching right back to FS to show them this.
1) The extra pins might not be used for your configuration.
2) Futureshop doesn't refurb the PCs, the manufacturer does. If they messed it up, it's their problem.
3) You're going to do what? Go into Futureshop and say that you opened up a new PC (and possibly voided the warranty)?

I'll call you in the morning. That board needs 24-pin power.
Well i started it up, it seems to run fine. I did some searching and the 4 extra pins are only needed if you are using a PCI-E vid card. Right now I'm using onboard.

I'm starting to regret buying this thing, but hell its alright.
my power supply has an extra plug that looks like it fits that 4 pin block. but my mobo does not have the space for it so its just dangling there. maybe we should trade power supplies
that's a P4 plug. lots of mobos use it. Mine does as well. I'll just bite the bullet and get a antec power supply off NCIX on my next order.
:lol: Yeah... I've had that configuration (extra four pin power) for the longest time, when I was COOPing at a local puter store in high school those were pretty new, and that was five years ago! :P

And yes, good choice, Antec imo makes the best PSU's. I've replaced all our computers with Antec TruePower psu's.

EDIT: *notices Seagate hdd... shudders...* :lol:
Ive had many Seagate hard drives over the years, never had one fail yet.
As others have said, it's simply a matter of the missing pins only being necessary if you would be running the different MB.

I had bought a new higher rated PSU recently and ran into the opposite issue (Too many holes on the PSU plug and not enough on the MB) no issues and when my MB croaked the extra pins did come in handy with the new MB.

As to Seagate drives... there's a reason that some in the PC Tech field call them "SeaCrates" :D

But if the system was cheap enough, a new HD is a cheap investment, just make sure you do regular backups...

NefCanuck
:lol: The Barracuda's have been pretty solid drives... but their old drives were unpredictable.

Then again, everyone hated the Maxtor drives and loved the Western Digital drives, I've only had one Maxtor die on me. But... five years ago when 8mb drives were the 'thing' I "upgraded" and got a Caviar SE, and the WD has been solid so far. I guess in time they're all going up in quality.