FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Minor Freak-out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm out last night... pulling in at a buddy's place. As I turn the tunes WAY down and shut 'er down... something didn't sound right. So, what does any car nut do? Fire it back up!

OMFG. It sounds like I blew a valve seat or dropped compression in one cylinder!

SHAT. The noise increases in frequency as I rev. Crap - definitely motor-related.

Funny thing is:

- no CEL

- no misfire

- no smoke

- no oil/fluid on ground

- no hesitation or loss of (apparent) power, but I wasn't revving it much

What does one do then? Eat supper, of course!

So with a full stomach, I limped it home VERY slowly. In the morning, I called Stockfish. They said call Ford Roadside. Ford Roadside says 4+ hours for a truck. I'm already at work (thanks to Oscar). f*** THAT.

I head home, start it up. It's barely audible but it's still there. I wait. No CEL. Nothing. No increasing drama. So, I slowly make my way to the dealer, never breaching 2200 RPMs.

I drop it off and the one SA I can't stand almost has a temper tantrum! "You drove it?? You shouldn't have done that!" No, that's true... we all have 4+ hours to sit at our desks, avoiding appointments and other work-related duties just to go meet the CAA/Ford Roadside truck.

I reminded him of the above scenario and lack of symptoms. All we have right now is a "noise", regardless of what it sounds like. Twit.

I get a call a few hours later.

It's a fawkin rock, embedded and halfway through the serpentine belt!!!! :angry: :angry: :o

So, apparently no harm, no foul aside from the belt. All the pulleys check out.

At least I wasn't waiting for a new longblock!!! I already had the RX-8 keys on me today, in case of really bad news. I'm not thrilled, either way. :angry:

</end rant>

well better it was the stone and not a blown or soon to blow engine.
This needs a title with.................

WHO THE FAWK CARES in it.

NB indeed.
So why are you putting rocks in your serpentine belt again? :P .. just buggin'

glad it wasn't anything serious.
Wow, how'd a rock end up there? You go bombing around a rock quarry recently? :huh: :P

NefCanuck
I have absolutely no idea how it got in there. Freaked me out all to hell, tho.

It felt good to rant.

Hey Bryan, I'll buy ya a beer at Dave n Buster's :P

NB indeed. :ph34r:

One day and I'm a basket case without it. It'll be good to get the little bastard back tomorrow!

Oh, and Steve - it adds 5HP. 10 to the Mustang. :P
Got it back - stopped at the house on the way back for some gear.

What do you think was going on while I was shovelling the plowcrap out of my driveway? REFLASH!!! :D

Runs like a top (again).
whew. could have been much worse! not sure it was a good idea to check for 'loss of power' under those circumstances though.. but i can totally understand how its hard to resist the urge to get on the gas and see if everything is ok
NefCanuck,Dec 18 2007, 08:40 PM Wrote:Wow, how'd a rock end up there?  You go bombing around a rock quarry recently? :huh: :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]254848[/snapback][/right]

good thing he wasn't smoking one