FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Burnout Paradise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the Burnout Paradise Demo is out on PS3 and XBOX Live!. I would definitely recommend a look at this game. Sure it doesn't have licensed cars like NFS -- but then again, you don't have to keep paying extra money to buy car add-on packs for the good cars (ie, lambo murc or koenegseg)... well, not yet anyways <br/><br/>

I've played the demo for a it lastnight, and admit that this game pretty much requires an HDTV set.. and something that can handle the framerates this thing can pump out -- it's quite the addrenaline rush!

<br/><br/> my only complaints are the dull colour scheme, how you have to pull up to stop lights to initiate a race, and then trying to follow the map/streenames as you're driving along... it's not the simple race mechanics anymore, and yet another game tarnished by the 'sandbox' concept. Burnout was spectacular for it's arcade racing insanity, and it's somehow lost that accessibility.

<br/><br/>

tho it is still quite fun to play!<br/>Here's hoping I finda couple people online to play with sometime in the near future!<br/><br/>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/85Y2eveqYMw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/85Y2eveqYMw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Christmas list forsure lol, looks like it would alot of fun :)
I'm trying to convince my gf that we need a PS3 with our new 52" LCD HDTV ;)
this would be a must game :P
can you play online with the demo??
...I need a new-gen console!
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 15 2007, 05:02 PM Wrote:...I need a new-gen console!
[right][snapback]254679[/snapback][/right]

XBOX 360 WITH XBOX LIVE FTW!!!! :lol:
tippmann,Dec 14 2007, 09:28 PM Wrote:can you play online with the demo??
[right][snapback]254658[/snapback][/right]

yes, you can play online with the demo.

I have to be honest... I actually enjoy playing Burnout 3:Takedown more...

How EA Ruined Burnout: Paradise City
1 ) they made it a sandbox game. They replaced 5 button clicks and 15 seconds to enter a race with 3 minutes of driving and careful placement inside an intersection with your gas and brake held to start a race. The 'retry race' has been replaced with another 3 minutes of driving back to the starting line. Burnout fans just want to race, why can't we just race?

2 ) Added 'realism'-- EA missed the point of burnout here. They made the colour scheme drab, making turns hard to pinpoint, and replaced the easy visual cues with an open map, and street signs that beep at you. To successfully win a race, you need a co-driver to tell you where to turn.... or a hell of a lot of time to just drive the course until you've memorized all the turns.

They took highspeed arcade action and made it an exercise in direction taking and tedious repetition.

3 ) They added 'even more realism' -- Missing the point further, they beefed up their physics engine. No more sliding between cars parked at a light, or lightly deflecting off a concrete barrier -- now, if there's not the perfect amount of space for your car, you will hit them, stick to them and likely crash. Where's the fun of taking chances if the physics are going to be so strict? at the speeds you're driving at, nobody can drive that perfectly, so it once again becomes an exercise in frustration and tedium.

EA has followed the trend to make games more realistic, more open, and more 'next gen' at the expense of making it fun. Something's terribly wrong when I have more fun in 5 minutes with the old PS2 Burnout than I did in 45 minutes of wrangling of the demo.

I'm so dejected right now! I loved the burnout series since it's inception, and now I'm losing it to hardcore gaming... this blows!