FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Project: First World Civic Powered By Subaru
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If out of anyone, this kid is got mad fabrication skills.

Read thread here
First, let me say that the fab skills are impressive.

HOWEVER.

The frame of the car is NOT a Honda but indeed a Subaru, which means that this person is driving an illegal, salvaged wreck with switched VIN plates. Unsafetied, not legally insured. God help him if he hits someone or his Frankencar flies apart and he injures or kills someone. His insurance is going to deny all coverage, and he'll be on the hook for all damages.

Again, I have no issue with a project car. But there are right ways and wrong ways to do stuff. And that's cool if he was tracking a car on his own, but he's on public roads so I can't agree with what he's doing.
Mad Fab Skills there. Sparky is correct though. God help the victim if something goes terribly wrong. We are safe here in ON. unless some big Honduh show happens and he decides to roll down the 401.

BTW Needs a drop. :P
you guys need to seat back and relax lmao

this guys has been doing this stuff for 15 years at his dad's body shop
NikiterZTS,Apr 21 2010, 07:53 PM Wrote:you guys need to seat back and relax lmao

[right][snapback]305593[/snapback][/right]

I have been smoking pot for 15 years, doesn't make that legal does it. LOL JJ Fellas, but you know what I mean. Car is not registered leagaly. It is a Subi with a Civic body, but registered as a 91 Civic. Not Leagally Titled.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 21 2010, 07:58 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 21 2010, 07:53 PM Wrote:you guys need to seat back and relax lmao

[right][snapback]305593[/snapback][/right]

I have been smoking pot for 15 years, doesn't make that legal does it. LOL JJ Fellas, but you know what I mean. Car is not registered leagaly. It is a Subi with a Civic body, but registered as a 91 Civic. Not Leagally Titled.
[right][snapback]305595[/snapback][/right]

Who really cares that it's registered under something else? A lot of cars that imported from Japan that are 25 years old sometimes registered under something else and given different VIN's.
A lot of cars are running catless.......they should be off the road.....sue them.

In a sence this guy shouldn't be driving this thing around either:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/homemade-hu...he-h4d/#1253858

but yet he made it at home somewhere and drives it on public roads....

FC.net has some tough crowd
:rolleyes:
all i can say is wow, can anyone say SLEEPER! :ph34r:

Ya thats some good work but a civic your a dumb***.....Stupid too for posting on the site that he has it registered as a civic, if they find out that guy will be F***ed for life. Thats like stealing a car buying a junker and swaping dashboards. There is a reason why cars go through crash tests, before they are sold to the public.
NikiterZTS,Apr 21 2010, 08:05 PM Wrote:In a sence this guy shouldn't be driving this thing around either:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/homemade-hu...he-h4d/#1253858

but yet he made it at home somewhere and drives it on public roads....
[right][snapback]305596[/snapback][/right]
But what does he have it registered as? Insured as?

You can build whatever you want and get it plated as long as it meets the criteria set out by MTO. I'm not saying that it's not fabulous what the guy did, I'm saying it's illegal what the guy is doing once he was done building it.

Quote:FC.net has some tough crowd
:rolleyes:

Ok, let's take this down to a "personal" level. You're coming back from Bruce and this guy t-bones you at an intersection. Now, because he's a bodyman and not an engineer one of the fenders bend at a weld seam which, because it wasn't engineered to do otherwise, slices through the car door and takes your hand off.

Now, likely you will have insurance to buy you a new car or pay out the black book on the car, which is good because his insurance will deny all coverage. But your weekly disability coverage is limited (unless you're paying extra) and now you're getting $600 a week for as long as you're off. Which I am assuming is less than you make because it is less than half I make with no OT. And if you can never do your job again because you can't hold the screw/wire and turn the screwdriver with the same hand, tough titties.

You won't be able to sue him -- he's 27 and has f-all to take.

THAT'S what I'm looking at. Maybe that makes me old or jaded but I've seen enough people that f up their lives or someone elses because they don't think things through.

02ztsian

Gotta admit-takes some real skill to pull that off.
As far as the 15 year comments-well after 15 years of doing something legal or not you will be pretty good at doing it.
No where in the thread is it mentioned what it is registered as, nor is it mentioned that the insurance company is aware of the swap.
Besides, how many of you with turbos/SCs have informed YOUR insurance company of the install?
Read all of his comments-he is very aware of crumple zones and has built the project with them in mind. He also states he would never remove a crash beam for an intercooler install. And he fully intends to install the airbags and have them functional. So he cares about safety and doing things correctly. He states the reinforcement is just that and isn't a full race cage.
So, is it a death trap? No more so than the crap I see on the road on a daily basis. How about kit cars? I see several Cobra replicas driving around Calgary. Over 500 hp in a 2200 lb kit-is that safe?
I'm not here to bash anyone-your concerns are well founded. I would be concerned about the safety as well. But it is pretty impressive.
02ztsian,Apr 22 2010, 07:40 AM Wrote:Gotta admit-takes some real skill to pull that off.
As far as the 15 year comments-well after 15 years of doing something legal or not you will be pretty good at doing it.
No where in the thread is it mentioned what it is registered as, nor is it mentioned that the insurance company is aware of the swap.
Besides, how many of you with turbos/SCs have informed YOUR insurance company of the install?
Read all of his comments-he is very aware of crumple zones and has built the project with them in mind. He also states he would never remove a crash beam for an intercooler install. And he fully intends to install the airbags and have them functional. So he cares about safety and doing things correctly. He states the reinforcement is just that and isn't a full race cage.
So, is it a death trap? No more so than the crap I see on the road on a daily basis. How about kit cars? I see several Cobra replicas driving around Calgary. Over 500 hp in a 2200 lb kit-is that safe?
I'm not here to bash anyone-your concerns are well founded. I would be concerned about the safety as well. But it is pretty impressive.
[right][snapback]305623[/snapback][/right]

He updated his thread, yes it is registered as a Civic EG. "A modded Civic" to be exact.

You're right about kit cars. My co-worker built a Factory 5 Cobra with 347 in it. It's a blast to drive but if he ever gets a in a serious crash he's a dead man.

How many people put GSR/ K-series motors in there small gutted Hondas (or other cars) and slap a front mount intercooler with removing that crash beam or cutting the hell out of it? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I dunno, I've always been leery of mods that in fact detract from the safety devices engineered into the cars.

Not to say that the person building the car isn't taking reasonable care while doing it. But I trust say, Ford's R&D team & budget far more than I trust a well intentioned guy working out of a garage :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NikiterZTS,Apr 22 2010, 08:12 AM Wrote:He updated his thread, yes it is registered as a Civic EG. "A modded Civic" to be exact.[right][snapback]305624[/snapback][/right]
To clarify, he had that in his post and then edited it out.

Now if everything was cool why would he do that?

Quote:How many people put GSR/ K-series motors in there small gutted Hondas (or other cars) and slap a front mount intercooler with removing that crash beam or cutting the hell out of it? Yeah, that's what I thought.
Still doesn't make it right though. Besides, the car itself is still a Honda, even though the drivetrain is changed.
You guys are downers, Kudos to him and on a budget to boot.

This pic says it all.
[Image: 23_4.jpg]

and I would rather be T boned by him rather than this guy

[Image: smart-car-monster-truck.jpg]