FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: White Now More Popular Then Silver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
White knocks silver out of seven-year first-place spot in global colour popularity rating
December 5, 2007
Source: Canadiandriver

Troy, Michigan - Silver is no longer the colour champion for vehicles, according to the annual DuPont Global Automotive Color Popularity Report. After seven years of silver in first place, white/white pearl took a narrow lead in North America, followed by silver in second place, and black/black effect in third. White also topped silver in Japan, and in Mexico it more than doubled its lead over grey, the next popular colour.

DuPont has tracked colour statistics and reported trends in colour preference for more than 55 years. This year, it sees white/white pearl as a trend-shifting colour, and anticipates that the new black metallic and other colour effects will show an increase in popularity over time. Red also continues to gain ground in nearly all segments.

"We are not surprised to see a proliferation of white/white pearl in DuPont's report this year," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. "It follows the global trends in home furnishings, fashion, consumer products and industrial design, where we're seeing a return to white as a clarifying agent before change, a colour of purity and minimalism. White is also considered a fashion statement. The car you drive is a fashion statement, and consumer preferences for white agree. White pearl itself is a combination of many colours, allowing ability to change, reflecting, in effect, layers of white."

Globally, overall colour popularity is beginning to shift from silver to an increased interest in grey. White/white pearl remains a very important colour for trucks and SUVs, based on the high volume of those vehicles, and is growing among luxury buyers and other segments. Red is also growing globally, with an increase of two per cent overall.

Globally, the top colours were white/white pearl in North America, followed by silver and black; white/white pearl in Mexico, followed by grey and red; silver in Brazil, followed by black and grey; black in Europe, followed by silver; white/white pearl in Japan, followed by silver; silver in China, followed closely by black, white/white pearl, blue, red and grey; and silver in South Korea, followed by white/white pearl and black.

Weird, because I had a white car and I can tell you never again...

Between trying to keep the car clean to watching the rust spots pop up like zits on my last car, I'd never recommend or buy a white car again...

NefCanuck
When I bought my Focus, I hated the white colour, but, I've gotten used to the colour, and it's "possibilities". The best thing is the fact I can find it in a parking lot, at night. The worst, is I can't find it in a snowstorm :lol:
Loved my white Focus ................ I wouldn't hesitate to buy another white car . As far as rust popping up - never seemed to have that problem. A good clay bar treatment would take care of that .............. I find darker colours are harder to keep clean. Black being the WORST ......... it shows imperfections in the paint (swirls) etc.
dlb,Dec 6 2007, 06:20 PM Wrote:Loved my white Focus ................ I wouldn't hesitate to buy another white car .  As far as rust popping up - never seemed to have that problem.  A good clay bar treatment would take care of that .............. I find darker colours are harder to keep clean.  Black being the WORST ......... it shows imperfections in the paint (swirls) etc.
[right][snapback]254074[/snapback][/right]

Ugh don't remind me... my last focus was black, and the day after you wash the car it could be covered in dust.... not to mention it showed every pit mark, stone chip or areas that have been touched up with a touch up paint.

02ztsian

When I went Focus shopping back in 2004, I told all the salesmen I talked to that I wouldn't cross the street to look at white, silver or grey. Too bland-no personality. Kinda like the typical Focus owner I see around here-grey car, grey hair.
02ztsian,Dec 7 2007, 08:54 AM Wrote:When I went Focus shopping back in 2004, I told all the salesmen I talked to that I wouldn't cross the street to look at white, silver or grey. Too bland-no personality. Kinda like the typical Focus owner I see around here-grey car, grey hair.
[right][snapback]254093[/snapback][/right]
:lol: I have a white Focus, grey hair, and get shot down for adding a couple of appearance items. Where I live, there are a lot of Foci's starting to appear on the streets, but it's mostly old grannies. grandpas and mom taxis.
oldeguy,Dec 7 2007, 08:43 AM Wrote:
02ztsian,Dec 7 2007, 08:54 AM Wrote:When I went Focus shopping back in 2004, I told all the salesmen I talked to that I wouldn't cross the street to look at white, silver or grey. Too bland-no personality. Kinda like the typical Focus owner I see around here-grey car, grey hair.
[right][snapback]254093[/snapback][/right]
:lol: I have a white Focus, grey hair, and get shot down for adding a couple of appearance items. Where I live, there are a lot of Foci's starting to appear on the streets, but it's mostly old grannies. grandpas and mom taxis.
[right][snapback]254094[/snapback][/right]

snicker That's why I loved going up to my dad's place in Aurora with my car. Greying neighbourhood, pull out in a Focus sedan at 6K, chirping the tires and the neighbours are all like "OMGWTFBBQ?" :lol:

NefCanuck
Frost__2001,Dec 7 2007, 06:00 AM Wrote:
dlb,Dec 6 2007, 06:20 PM Wrote:I find darker colours are harder to keep clean.  Black being the WORST ......... it shows imperfections in the paint (swirls) etc.
[right][snapback]254074[/snapback][/right]

Ugh don't remind me... my last focus was black, and the day after you wash the car it could be covered in dust.... not to mention it showed every pit mark, stone chip or areas that have been touched up with a touch up paint.
[right][snapback]254089[/snapback][/right]

So true...I'm on my 3rd black car and each time I say to myself never again. This time I mean it!