FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Minor Bumper Repair - Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a leased '07 and it's due back July 2011 so about a year and a half left. Any minor damage on the car, I will wait to look after before I return the car incase something happens to it.

But last week, minor rear-ending that has to be repaired because the fact it is a lease and I don't want to be liable for repairing it in the end. Basically, the bolts from plates gouged a minor hole and scratched it so it just needs to be filled, smoothed and repainted - 2 days max.

It's a younger girl who happens to work at a dealership in Brampton and we aren't going through Insurance. I took it to her the body shop and they quoted $523 ($440 of that is labour) and said they would Price Match it if we find a lower rate somewhere else.

She suggested I go to this body shop her friend goes to. I check it out yesterday and he quotes me $250 and done in a few hours. I need it in writing to give to the girls body shop and he writes it on a business card.

I text her a picture of the "estimate business card" and jokingly ask if they'll accept that as a quote to which she texts back later - her shop can Price Match the $250.

I call and ask her place - he will do the same quality work at half the price? He said yes - remove the bumper and repaint the whole thing.

Now, is it possible for a dealership to drop prices 50% and still do the same quality work? I have a buddies body shop who can do it for $450 who will probably put some effort in it.

I'm not sure who to go with and I don't want to have to repair the bumper again because of shoddy work.

Any opinions?
You got rear ended by a girl? Not really the way it's supposed to go down bud. :D

Hope you got her number if she's cute and over 19.

250.00 sounds about right for just a bumper. I got my wing painted and installed for 100.00 a few years ago.
I'm sorry to tell you, I am a girl as well!

If I were a bro...thanks for your bro support! haha
Bwahahaha...that makes things awkward! :D

I say if it's a lease and you're returning it, take it to the girl's dealership for $250 if they offer at least a 2 year guarantee.

No use breaking the bank on a car you're planning to return.

If you're keeping it that might be a different issue.
ehhhhh sorry... now i understand your screen name. :D

Anywho. Yeah 250.00 sounds ok for painting. Just make sure you ask them how many coates of primer/paint/clears they put on as well as if they fiberglass or bondo the bad spot. Make sure they use fiberglass on the bumper. Ask too if they put it in the curing booth and for how long? I believe they put it in the curing booth overnight usually.

LOL smooth!
I thought the floral decals on my car would give it away my lady side.. :P

I will probably go with the dealership and probe more questions, get them to write down exactly would they will be doing!!! Thanks gentlemen!
awkward,Jan 20 2010, 10:38 PM Wrote:Thanks gentlemen!
[right][snapback]299930[/snapback][/right]
Hey!! No need to resort to namecalling!! lol
Now that you've told these guys you are a girl you will get more responses than you need.
i"m confused. Not about you being a girl, but if the other girl hit you why are you going to pay $250 to get your car fixed, shouldn't she pay for it if she hit you?
lol you guys are to funny The flowers do give it away some pple just don't pay attention. What Dealership does she work at in Brampton Planet Ford Or Colony? and what is her position to give the authority to price match another body shop? I personally know a body man at colony so if you take it there I'll tell him to step up the work lol
D-Dub,Jan 21 2010, 07: Wrote:Now that you've told these guys you are a girl you will get more responses than you need.
[right][snapback]299941[/snapback][/right]

aka leg humpers in action
OAC_Sparky,Jan 21 2010, 01:39 AM Wrote:
awkward,Jan 20 2010, 10:38 PM Wrote:Thanks gentlemen!
[right][snapback]299930[/snapback][/right]
Hey!! No need to resort to namecalling!! lol
[right][snapback]299940[/snapback][/right]

I was gonna say...

Gentlemen? WHERE? :lol:

NefCanuck
Dont mean to toot my own horn here, but I graduated a full time auto body course at Centennial College last year so I know enough about the subject to tell you that if its full prep, body work and paint, $250 is going to be one crap-tacular repair that would be lucky to last 2 years. Materials used will be second-rate and most likely be some of the older stuff that body shops still have lying around that their trying to get rid of. Paint used will be single stage (so no clear coat) type of enamel if they do the entire bumper, or they will match factory paint but use a blow-in technique which "melts" the new clear around the area making it 'look' factory. Only thing is that the edge will eventually peel back onto itself exposing everything then it will fall right off lol. But seeing as its a lease and your not going to keep it, wait untill the last possible minute to get this done, so when u give it back it will look awesome to the dealer :P
I'm totally not paying so it's not about the cost - just worried about the quality of work

Someone suggested I just take her cash and hold on to it unitl last minute to....

It's not a Ford dealership...its another dealership in the Btown Auto Mall - the guy said they would work with Ford to get it repaired.

Annd...more opinions are always helpful so I dont mind! :D

Hmm thing is if you take the cash now what if you can't get it fixed for that price later. If there at the auto mall they'll be using planet ford so i can't help you there sorry.