FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer Technologist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My youngest son, who is 21, is finishing a College Degree in, I think, Computer Technologist, It is a 3 year course. He is feeling that he doesn't know enough to get out into the "real world" and get a job in the computer industry. He is thinking of taking a CSI course, something about Computer Security, he tells me.

I know we have quite a few members who are in the Computer field, and would like to know what my son could, or should do next.
You mean Network technician?
D-Dub,Nov 27 2007, 01: Wrote:You mean Network technician?
[right][snapback]253612[/snapback][/right]
I really don't know. He says when he is done his course, he'll have his Cisco "license". He says his course is the moost difficult offered at his College ( Fleming) because it involves all computer courses, but he comes out as a "Jack of all Trades, but Master of None"
If he is Cisco Licensed/Certified, he should have no problem finding a job. There is a tonne of work for network guys out there, and it's just a matter of getting some practical experience. -- that's where a co-op program is a bonus, but in lieu of that, does the college have an employment center?

It would be a good place to look for potential jobs..

and then hit up some websites for companies he's interested in.. many in the IT field will have online resume submissions.

for example, IBM Canada's job postings.

Once he's gotten a bit more experience, he can jump around a bit as a professional hire for quicker 'promotions'...
I kind of went the same way, but took a course at Algonquin called Information systems...this was back in 00 though, so Im sure its changed. They covered a lot..from installing disk drives into desktops and servers, to minor HTML coding.

I'd start with what DP has mentioned. I got into my software testing position by climbing the coporate ladder...

I started as a billing CSR in the Union when our broadband division was just getting started. Basically reviewing bills for our enterprise customers. I eventually got sick of that job and started applying to internal job postings. Had a few interviews with email/wireless help desks, manager of call centers, installer (home modems, etc), then finally the software testing position. My boss eventually left for another position and got his job...

So...kind of jack of all trades in my short IT career, but what is nice when climbing up like that, your new group has (or should) have a good training program to make the job transition as easy as possible.

Before I retire, i want to be an installer, but it is really hard to get into that union fulltime.
I was in the same field and eventually left and went back to school for something else.

I don't think your son should worry because most of the time when you get hired at a new job they re-train you anyways. Being a tech is a job where you will be constantly educated through your carrer.... there are just so many certifications you will need to take that will keep up to date every year.

i think he can get a position of Network administrator
and the program Computer Technologist is hard.....i took electronics engineer technician and that program gave me no life during school days

he should start browsing sites like workopolis.com ; monster.ca
^ hey Nik, did you take that course at Algonquin?
I did the 2 year course EET.
I worked for "digital" for a few years which became compaq then became hp.
I got out of there just after it was compaq and got a great job in a hospital as a network admin/help desk/ biomed tech.
Job security is great because I'm an employee of the province "public worker".
We have good wages and great working conditions.
And yup, have to get in house training but must have good knowledge of the basics.
^^that is a great position that you have
but no i took it in Conestoga college ....#1 college in ontario as they say lol
it was also 2 year course
but i never finished it off cause back then i got an offer for a job....and left my schooling :(
now im finishing it off on my own......kinda like "got the experience but no paper"
im more of like Electronics/electrical Tech then anything else....but right now im electrical/mechanical technician for slightly something else