FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Transport Minister Tells Drivers, Slow Down!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canada's Transport Minister Tells Drivers, Slow Down! -- but Her Chauffeur Wasn't Listening
11-23-2007

MONTREAL, Canada — It's pot-and-kettle time in Canada and tongues are wagging over the way the transport minister is putting her nation's roads to use. Julie Boulet, Quebec's minister for transport, had no sooner pointed a finger at Canadians and told them they must stop speeding than reporters clocked her own chauffeured car repeatedly exceeding speed limits. At one point, her car reportedly surpassed 82 mph in the Montreal area. Even more interesting: She was asleep at the time, although it was mid-morning.

Boulet had just proposed strict anti-speeding legislation that would charge the equivalent of $485 for driving 60 mph in a 30-mph urban zone — and would assess double the current five points on the offender's driver license. A reporter noted that the new regulations would have put Boulet's driver on the hook for 10 points and a $710 fine if he had been stopped on the day he was observed speeding.

The Canadian Gazette newspaper called the minister's tacit approval of her driver's speeding "limousine syndrome" and commented, "After a few years in office, a sense of entitlement often takes over." The Quebec premier, Jean Charest, said he is standing by Boulet and called her "the one to guide" speed-limit legislation now and in the future.
Well I can safely say.. She and all these other two faced speed Nazis can suck my left nut. lol
Should we start following Fantino to see what speed he "really" drives at?
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2007, 09:21 PM Wrote:Should we start following Fantino to see what speed he "really" drives at?
[right][snapback]253419[/snapback][/right]

Careful, Fantino is just as likely to shoot at you as he is to speed while you're watching him :lol:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 24 2007, 12:16 AM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 23 2007, 09:21 PM Wrote:Should we start following Fantino to see what speed he "really" drives at?
[right][snapback]253419[/snapback][/right]

Careful, Fantino is just as likely to shoot at you as he is to speed while you're watching him :lol:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]253423[/snapback][/right]

Pfft. The only way he can fire something is a steaming hot log outta his big lead ass. :lol:
Someguy_ca,Nov 23 2007, 08:34 PM Wrote:Well I can safely say.. She and all these other two faced speed Nazis can suck my left nut. lol
[right][snapback]253416[/snapback][/right]

X 2.....

plus, the whole 105 kph speed limiter idea for commercial trucks is a crock of s*** too....
PARKINGLOT,Nov 24 2007, 04:47 AM Wrote:
Someguy_ca,Nov 23 2007, 08:34 PM Wrote:Well I can safely say.. She and all these other two faced speed Nazis can suck my left nut. lol
[right][snapback]253416[/snapback][/right]

X 2.....

plus, the whole 105 kph speed limiter idea for commercial trucks is a crock of s*** too....
[right][snapback]253437[/snapback][/right]

Ya no kidding. I don't envy my old man or my one uncle... Or any other trucker for that matter.
Sorry fellas, I agree about the trucks... and my Dad runs a 40-ton wrecker for one of the biggest towing outfits in the GTA. There are too many untrained / poorly-trained retards running around with "bought" licenses and little to no regard for public safety. Ditto for operators and owners who attempt to skirt MTO inspections and proper maintenance for their equipment to make an extra buck for themselves.

At least if they're limited to 105, we can roughly gauge the survivability of a car crash victim... at 120+ those 40 tons become THAT much more dangerous. It's just like a car crash at 80-100 vs. a car crash at 120+, but the car MIGHT weigh 3 tons, tops (if it's a luxury SUV).