FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Lanes Open Today On The Qew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New lanes open on Ontario's Queen Elizabeth Highway today
November 23, 2007
Source: Candiandriver

Niagara Falls, Ontario - Construction to help reduce congestion along 5.2 km of the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) in Ontario has been completed and will open fully to traffic today.

"These improvements will help boost our safety and efficiency along this busy trade and tourism route," said Rob Nicholson, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and MP for Niagara Falls. "They reflect this government's commitment to working with its provincial partners to improve transportation infrastructure across the country."

The QEW is integral to the economic prosperity of the Niagara Region and the province, with links to four border crossings to the U.S. at the Queenston-Lewiston, Whirlpool, Rainbow and Peace bridges. The $52.2-million project involved expanding and improving the QEW to six lanes between Glendale Avenue and Mountain Road. The federal government contributed $16 million from its Border Infrastructure Fund, while the provincial government paid $36.2 million through its ReNew Ontario program.

Goody! That should help make cross-border shopping much easier!!
OAC_Sparky,Nov 23 2007, 07:55 PM Wrote:Goody! That should help make cross-border shopping much easier!!
[right][snapback]253415[/snapback][/right]
Please don't get me started on Cross-Border Shopping,,, it's like buying an Import
oldeguy,Nov 23 2007, 09:06 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Nov 23 2007, 07:55 PM Wrote:Goody! That should help make cross-border shopping much easier!!
Please don't get me started on Cross-Border Shopping,,, it's like buying an Import
[right][snapback]253417[/snapback][/right]

LOL because it is? :lol:
oldeguy,Nov 23 2007, 08:06 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]253417[/snapback][/right]

I would hazard a guess that at least 90 percent of what your body touched while posting that wasn't even from this continent :ph34r:
Okay, here goes.... We work and live in Canada, get paid in Canadian Dollars, pay Canadian Taxes, receive benefits from living in Canada, so why pump your money into another country's economy for things you can buy in your own? By buying in Canada, you are helping your own countrymen. I know this is very simplistic reasoning, but, it works for me. I can't see the point of going across the border to buy stuff that I can get here.
oldeguy,Nov 24 2007, 09:37 AM Wrote:Okay, here goes.... We work and live in Canada, get paid in Canadian Dollars, pay Canadian Taxes, receive benefits from living in Canada, so why pump your money into another country's economy for things you can buy in your own? By buying in Canada, you are helping your own countrymen. I know this is very simplistic reasoning, but, it works for me. I can't see the point of going across the border to buy stuff that I can get here.
[right][snapback]253440[/snapback][/right]
About a month ago there was a TV in the paper, $700 in NF NY, and in Niagara Falls Ontario it was over $1,400. I think i can see why.

oldeguy,Nov 24 2007, 10:37 AM Wrote:Okay, here goes.... We work and live in Canada, get paid in Canadian Dollars, pay Canadian Taxes, receive benefits from living in Canada, so why pump your money into another country's economy for things you can buy in your own? By buying in Canada, you are helping your own countrymen. I know this is very simplistic reasoning, but, it works for me. I can't see the point of going across the border to buy stuff that I can get here.
[right][snapback]253440[/snapback][/right]
Well, the same reasoning can be applied to buying North American cars. But beating the patriotic drum doesn't seem to get too far around here. So now I say "f***'em". I don't see why I should take a bath supporting the Canadian economy when nobody seems to want to support where I work. I've got dual citizenship (US-Canadian) so I figure, "what the hell...".

Nobody complained over here when the USD was $1.40 CAD and the Americans shopped over here.

So when I can go buy a TV, that was made in Japan, that costs $4500+tax on sale at FutureShop for $2400 at Sears, I'm there. I still paid sales tax on it when I brought it in ($400 worth), and STILL came out $2G ahead.

Same for the cap for my new truck. Made in Indiana. Saved another $800 for driving three hours round trip. What does $800 save? To spend $800 I have to make $1200 in my tax bracket. That's 30 hours work at my exhorbitant union wage. So you wouldn't drive 3 hours to save 30? Bought new tires for the Focus on the trip over to order, saved another $300. So that totals $3100 in savings.

So when I stop seeing vehicles not made in North America in people's driveways (personally, I don't even care so much about Hondas and Toyotas built here -- at least they're built by your neighbours), I'll buy where i can get the best deal. If Canadian retailers want my business, price it accordingly.

Enuf said.
Ulimately, people will go where they think they'll save money. My argument doesn't hold well for those on border towns. I'm just saying that we have to spend our money here, because in the long run, our own country's economy could be at risk. Although I don't buy new vehicles, there has yet to be an import in the driveway.
Retailers have been gouging us for years............might as well start sticking it to them and the government!