FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Have The Option To Buy......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While at Riley's 1st birthday party on Sunday I was approached by one of Lindsey's Grandmothers neighbours. She is looking to sell her 1978 Formula Firebird, which has been basically sitting for a few years. She has taken it out every once and a while but now wants it out of the garage. She told me it was in good shape although I haven't seen it yet.

I have had a 2nd Gen bird in the past ('81 w/267 SBC) and I do know what to look out for. Droopy door pins, Rear floor pans, etc. I did some looking around on-line and it seems that in the southern US these cars in excelent condition are selling for around $4500. I am sure that this isn't near that condition but I will have to check it out to be sure. What do you guys think? Is it worth looking at? With gas around a buck a litre I think this wouldn't be driven very much. Maybe I should get it, fix her up a bit then re-sell it.

What to do, what to do......
Can we call you "Bandit" if you get it?
I would say: "Do not want"
2001 ZTS,Jan 18 2010, 03:49 PM Wrote:Can we call you "Bandit" if you get it?
[right][snapback]299757[/snapback][/right]

That wouldn't be quite true. The Bandit's firebird was a 1977.
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 18 2010, 03:09 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Jan 18 2010, 03:49 PM Wrote:Can we call you "Bandit" if you get it?
[right][snapback]299757[/snapback][/right]

That wouldn't be quite true. The Bandit's firebird was a 1977.
[right][snapback]299760[/snapback][/right]

And it was a Trans Am, not a Formula.

Trans Am
[Image: 77tapfgleam.jpg]

Formula
[Image: 3793054261_aa361bf05f.jpg]
Check it out and if it tickles your fancy, get it, drive it for a bit then resell. No harm no foul.
Hmm If shes basically giving it away I say Fix it and Flip it.
I think those years are too early for mullet jokes. You might be ok. :lol:
Oscar The Grouch,Jan 18 2010, 04:36 PM Wrote:I think those years are too early for mullet jokes.  You might be ok. :lol:
[right][snapback]299767[/snapback][/right]

The guys with mullets were driving 10 year old firebirds... prime time for mullets!
I say if you get it, bring it up to certification level if the floor & trunk are still there, after that if you are in the market for a newer car deal it in.
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 18 2010, 03:18 PM Wrote:While at Riley's 1st birthday party on Sunday I was approached by one of Lindsey's Grandmothers neighbours.  She is looking to sell her 1978 Formula Firebird, which has been basically sitting for a few years.  She has taken it out every once and a while but now wants it out of the garage.  She told me it was in good shape although I haven't seen it yet. 

I have had a 2nd Gen bird in the past ('81 w/267 SBC) and I do know what to look out for.  Droopy door pins, Rear floor pans, etc.  I did some looking around on-line and it seems that in the southern US these cars in excelent condition are selling for around $4500.  I am sure that this isn't near that condition but I will have to check it out to be sure.   What do you guys think?  Is it worth looking at?  With gas around a buck a litre I think this wouldn't be driven very much.  Maybe I should get it, fix her up a bit then re-sell it. 

What to do, what to do......
[right][snapback]299756[/snapback][/right]
Ultimately I guess it might depend on how many clicks and what kind of condition (and of course how much $) ... but if you're looking for any kind of performance that engine sucks huge and those birds are not light.
Love those cars, but yeah anything like that you have to see the condition to decide. I'm working towards an older cadilac the boat ones, some old guy had it and passed away and lady is trying to sell it! :) early 70's i think it is with 15000kms.
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula. Nice car indeed :) When you go to look at it check the vin #. If it contains U87 in the Vin then it is a true Formula. Only 24,000 were built which is a smaller production number than normal firebirds and trans ams (Besides special edition models). If it has a manual transmission it would be more rare as well. If memory serves me correct that car should have a 400 c.i. V8. If its got a 455 H.O. I would scoope that car up regardless of body condition cause that'd be super rare.
I love those cars.
It may be because I'm a little older than you guys.

Lot's of design in those things. It certainly was a very distinguishable looking car.

Drive, listen to it, take it to a mechanic.

My opinion is, it would be a blast to work on. Lot's of aftermarket available and the wreckers are i would assume full of them.
[Image: hrmfirebird.jpg]

Baller! Pure resto-mod.
ANTHONYD,Jan 19 2010, 09:38 AM Wrote:[Image: hrmfirebird.jpg]

[right][snapback]299797[/snapback][/right]

Love It!!!! :wub:
Just a heads up on Anthony's point regarding the auto recycler as a source of parts for a car like that.

Most local sites are no longer even keeping cars past 15 years old on site, removing the oldest wrecks to be torn apart for scrap and recycled. For a car like this you are looking more for websites and ebay as a likelier source of parts.

I know this because I have a friend who is trying to keep a 1991 Sunbird running (why? I ask them :P) and this is what they are running into (Even going as late as 1994, before the Sunfire redesign, they having problems)

NefCanuck
I always thougt those cars were pretty ugly. lol
Flofocus,Jan 19 2010, 03:48 PM Wrote:I always thougt those cars were pretty ugly. lol
[right][snapback]299816[/snapback][/right]

I was holding back on saying that.....I understand the pure Americana of the Bandit thing though, but Im not down with it.

That modded bird looks like ugly, the front lines dont match the back lines at all, zero flow.
I loved the old firebirds -- though the GTAs were my personal fave..

if you like it, get it checked out, then drive it, and if you really like it, get it.
I have a certain attachment to the '82-'88MY Firechickens.

There was a gent last year at the Mapleview car show looking to sell his '86 on display as I was walking around (I think he said $7K)

Dear god was I tempted, if he's back again this year and still wants to sell it...

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2