FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fight A Ticket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone used xcopper and the likes? Any recommendations or warnings?
I got an 82 in a 60, which I honestly though was an 80 area.
Ouch.

Show up for court... offer to pay the whole fine and they'll probably drp the points.
worked for me.

69 in a 40 zone about 10 years ago.
j3rt,Nov 12 2007, 11:03 AM Wrote:Has anyone used xcopper and the likes?  Any recommendations or warnings?
[right][snapback]252615[/snapback][/right]

I have and it was a waste.

I do it all myself now.

Dress nice, approach the officer that gave you the ticket and ask to speak with him and the crown privately. Be poilte and ask them to reduce it, they ususally will, not sure though with the new law in place. helps if you have a relatively clean record too.

Quote:I got an 82 in a 60,

Still a minor ticket so no biggie unless this is your 3rd of the year. :P
This will be my second this year I believe. Not including the accident 2 weeks ago, although I haven't been charged for it.... yet....
this sux.....15-20 over is not so great over the limit that it would cause any accidents or endanger people's lives. Going 40 or 50 over definitely.

60 in a 40, 80 in 60, 100 in a 80...c'mon....its hardly noticeable but i can't believe they area all over ppl for this kind of stuff.

Anyone who has enough driving experience knows how 10-20 km/h over is hardly anything to consider dangerous driving "oh my god im out of control i can't stop and i'm going to kill someone".

yeah if anything go in and fight it yourself if you plan on fighting the ticket, if you want to totally have it tossed out it will take about a year or so before it would go to trial, and their is a 50/50 chance that the cop that ticketed you will show up in court.

if you plead guilty either before the trial date is selected or not, they will reduce the fine & or drop any points usually.
i have used one called Not guilty and they got me off of a careless driving ticket. all i paid was the amount to them and got no points, plus my insurance knows nothing of it
every ticket i get i fight, you have to fight it .... sure 100 bucks is alot to swallow and losing a day of work , but the long term costs , think about this , every ticket you get raises your car insurance by 20 % , so take 20 % of your total annual premium and thats how much you are going to be fighting for in court ......

I have an advantage of my old man being an x cop and he goes with me to court every time..... in your case i would ask for a reduced penalty in exchange for a guilty plea. so follow me here ... you do 23 or something over the limit , so ask the cop and crown for something like a DISOBEY SIGN , that might save you some bucks and save you insurance and points ....

you were speeding , and that is technically disobeying a possted sign ... it will work for sure ..

02ztsian

What made you think it was an 80 zone? Obsured or otherwise unnoticed signage? Or inattention on your part. You can fight obsured signage -just take photos of the area and present these to the Crown. If it's simply inattention then cowboy up and pay the fine.
Well my friend used XCOPPER about a month ago and it worked for him... I believe they prolonged his points so they wouldn't show up until a certain other few were cleared to keep him on the road, and his fine was also removed. Of course, he still had to pay them... but according to him it was worth every penny.
i've heard, but i'm not sure, that in ontario your insurance can still go up even if you have no point ticket. if this is true, you should try to get the ticket dismissed or a verdict of not guilty. you will have to go to court for this.. if you talk to the prosecutor the most you will get is fine reduction and/or no (DMV) points ticket

i was found not guilty for a 85mph in a 65mph ticket using the strategies in http://www.ticketassassin.com it is a california specific website so it may not be too helpful for you. however, the concepts should be similar (ie you are trying to cast doubt on the officer's determination of your speed)
naz,Jan 2 2008, 03:01 PM Wrote:i've heard, but i'm not sure, that in ontario your insurance can still go up even if you have no point ticket.  if this is true, you should try to get the ticket dismissed or a verdict of not guilty. you will have to go to court for this.. if you talk to the prosecutor the most you will get is fine reduction and/or no (DMV) points ticket

[right][snapback]255402[/snapback][/right]

it would only happen if.

A.) Have more then 8 tickets in 3 years.
B.) Have more then 5 tickets in one year.

after 3 years any non serious tickets are removed from your driving record, Serious ones usually take 5 - 10 years to clear, not including DWI, DUI, or an accident causing death.
Well after the Xcopper fiasco of them going belly up, I managed to get my money back. I was protected through Visa.
So now I'm sitting outside the court, showed up waaaaaayy to early. The docket before mine hadn't started. I'm gonna go it alone, no representation. I'll try and speak to the prosecutor and officer before hand. I almost don't care at this point, as I got a hell of a ticket last week. I managed to park in a handicap spot by work. Seems the changed one of the street spots a month ago. They put the sign on the hydro pole but never painted the spot. I've since learned that the paint is not a requirement. So I've put in a trial request, and will plead with them that I would never knowingly park in a handi spot.
Will update on todays court later.
j3rt,Nov 12 2007, 10:03 AM Wrote:Has anyone used xcopper and the likes?  Any recommendations or warnings?
[right][snapback]252615[/snapback][/right]

Like they said show up ask for it to be lowered, then pay you'll get a 15 over at the least or he won't show up. Good luck to ya.
j3rt,Sep 9 2008, 01:38 PM Wrote:Well after the Xcopper fiasco of them going belly up, I managed to get my money back.  I was protected through Visa.
So now I'm sitting outside the court, showed up waaaaaayy to early.  The docket before mine hadn't started.  I'm gonna go it alone, no representation.  I'll try and speak to the prosecutor and officer before hand.  I almost don't care at this point, as I got a hell of a ticket last week.  I managed to park in a handicap spot by work.  Seems the changed one of the street spots a month ago.  They put the sign on the hydro pole but never painted the spot.  I've since learned that the paint is not a requirement.  So I've put in a trial request, and will plead with them that I would never knowingly park in a handi spot.
Will update on todays court later.
[right][snapback]272001[/snapback][/right]

You'll need a photo of the area to bolster your explanation that this is in fact a newly designated spot.

If the sign is somehow obscured, too high to be seen easily etc. you might have a reasonable shot at getting off on this, but if it's crystal clear, short of having a "before" shot handy, you're gonna have a tough go of it I think :unsure:

NefCanuck
Ok, the speeding ticket was lowered to 15 over/no points. Which is no big deal, had I been a bit more savy I think I could have negotiated less. But this is the first time I've done this.

As for the parking ticket, no harm in trying to fight it, worst case I still pay full price, but atleast I gave it a shot. It was the advice of the parking enforcement agent (the one who ticketed me) who said to absolutely fight it. He said to be humble and explain politely what happened. He also said to call the city and complain about the street parking, poorly identified handicap spot, no lines on any of the parking spot and the area around the hydrant is totally unclear. He said he'd been filing requests to have all those items corrected but until it comes from someone else, nothing will happen.