FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hazard Lights Flashing, Staying On Intermittently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It started as a nuisance as I was driving, the four ways would either flash or be on constantly. I would press the Hazard light button on then off, and they would go back to normal so it was no biggie.

But now that I came back to my car after it had been parked for a while, and I see the lights were on (not flashing, just steady on) Luckily it wasn't long enough to completely drain my battery.

Anyone have a similar problem or know what this might be? I suspect the flasher, relay or switch, but I haven't had a chance to look yet, and it will be dark by the time I get home.

skippy,Nov 8 2007, 05:28 PM Wrote:It started as a nuisance as I was driving, the four ways would either flash or be on constantly. I would press the Hazard light button on then off, and they would go back to normal so it was no biggie.

But now that I came back to my car after it had been parked for a while, and I see the lights were on (not flashing, just steady on) Luckily it wasn't long enough to completely drain my battery.

Anyone have a similar problem or know what this might be? I suspect the flasher, relay or switch, but I haven't had a chance to look yet, and it will be dark by the time I get home.
[right][snapback]252447[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like the switch is going. Could be a bad connection aswell.
yeah I say switch or your security system is going.
I was thinking the same thing, and if it's easy to get at (I think I can reach it by taking out the stereo??) I can just unplug it to eliminate it from the circuit.

Is that common for the switch to go? Anyway, I have another couple of hours before I can go and try...

Thanks for your input. Anyone else had this problem before?

Frost__2001,Nov 8 2007, 09:46 PM Wrote:yeah I say switch or your security system is going.
[right][snapback]252450[/snapback][/right]
skippy,Nov 8 2007, 07:00 PM Wrote:I was thinking the same thing, and if it's easy to get at (I think I can reach it by taking out the stereo??) I can just unplug it to eliminate it from the circuit.

Is that common for the switch to go? Anyway, I have another couple of hours before I can go and try...

Thanks for your input. Anyone else had this problem before?

Frost__2001,Nov 8 2007, 09:46 PM Wrote:yeah I say switch or your security system is going.
[right][snapback]252450[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]252460[/snapback][/right]

If your going to change out the hazard switch you'll have to pull out the radio, and then undo the 4 screws holding the bezel in place, and then lightly pry out the bezel, after that it's just a matter of unplugging it, and undoing the two screw holding it there.

as for the security issue I've only heard of those symptoms when people crossed a wire or installed something wrong. or being related to something in the programming / codes that was wrongly entered ie, from an after market stereo.
I was going to say something, then I realized that only yellow focuses need reply. :ph34r: :lol:
Did I see a reply from a non-yellow Focus owner, what nerve!

I find it hard to believe that the switch would be the problem.
It's not like it would get weared out due to use...

Have you made any changes recently to the car at all?
Any ECU codes that we should know about?

Yellow cars rule!
[Image: nmg_yellow.jpg]
Well, I did manage to unplug the switch after sliding out the stereo (it's a tight squeeze and my knuckes are nicely scraped) It hasn't happened since, but I only spent a 1/2 hour in the car on the way to work.

Thanks for the input so far.

As for changes or ECU codes, no. And no aftermarket security system (should I be writing that on a public forum??) :)

Alec Brandon,Nov 9 2007, 01:20 PM Wrote:Did I see a reply from a non-yellow Focus owner, what nerve!

I find it hard to believe that the switch would be the problem.
It's not like it would get weared out due to use...

Have you made any changes recently to the car at all?
Any ECU codes that we should know about?

Yellow cars rule!
[Image: nmg_yellow.jpg]
[right][snapback]252494[/snapback][/right]
Oh, and I welcome advice from owners of ANY colored cars ;)