FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Big "e" Hangs Em Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...es.html?ref=rss

Well I was never a fan so I could really care less. And how bout that memorable season in Toronto? Oh yeah.... :P

The big question seems to be does he deserve to be in the HHOF one day?
I say NO.
Discuss....
SVT ZX3,Nov 8 2007, 04:42 PM Wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...es.html?ref=rss

Well I was never a fan so I could really care less. And how bout that memorable season in Toronto? Oh yeah.... :P

The big question seems to be does he deserve to be in the HHOF one day?
I say NO.
Discuss....
[right][snapback]252445[/snapback][/right]
He should be in the Hockey Hospital of Fame.
In the Biggest Disappointment or the Unfulfilled Destiny category? He was supposed to be the next Wayne Gretzky, only bigger.
maybe Crosby will be the next Lindros.
FocusGuy7476,Nov 8 2007, 09:39 PM Wrote:maybe Crosby will be the next Lindros.
[right][snapback]252475[/snapback][/right]

That's what I was hoping last night, given Philly's "Extremely Rough" style of play lately.
I'm sorry but I have no respect for Lindros, he and his family were nothing but s**t disturbers throughout his playing career. He refused to go to teh team that drafted him (Quebec Nordique at the time) necessitating a trade that nearly tore the Flyers to bits while setting up the Nords for the Stanley Cup win.

...and then there was Koo Koo Bananas <_<

NefCanuck
I don't really know why people hate Eric Lindros so much. If you really think about it, when he broke into the league he was phenomenal. He had size, strength, speed, skill, shooting, u name it! He was a scoring machine and he was unstoppable. There's no question of a doubt Lindros was well on his way to becoming the next big superstar in the NHL. It's rather sad that he has had a career marred with injuries and he never truly got to realize his full potential. This is the unfortunate reality of sports and sometimes there's nothing much you can do about it.

I guess you can believe that Gretzky also had some kind of skill in avoiding injury and never putting himself in a position to get hurt(???? I've heard this argument before). So it's like saying Mario Lemieux due to his lack of skill got cancer or back injuries.

Let me list a few other notables whose careers dramatically changed as a result of seroius injuries and may cost them a hall of fame type career:

Pavel Bure: scoring machine, probably the greatest goal scorer in the modern era. Suffered a broken leg, missed a whole season or more and never was the same after that.

Paul Kariya: probably has the most skill than any player but since suffering that cross check by Gary Suter and giving him a concussion, Kariya has never quite been the same player

Peter Forsberg: tremendous player with grit and skill but tons of injuries has shut him down all too often.

It's interesting to note the flip side.....that ppl like Dany Heatley who had a life threatening almost life ending car accident rebounds to be as good as he was always projected to be (a top 5 nhl player). Is it skill? Who knows but i think its fair to say there are some things we just can't control and sports is all about a mix of human input but also chance/luck/destiny whatever you want to call it. It's what makes it magical but also bittersweet and sad.

Why should Bobby Orr be in the Hall of Fame? He only played 10 seasons and his total stats suck. But yet Orr is regarded as arguably the greatest player of all time next to the likes of Gretzky, Howe, and Lemieux. It's because of what he did when he was healthy and able bodied.

Big E probably doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but without a doubt, he was one of the greatest players we have seen when he was at the top of his game just like Orr. Only the Big E stayed around much longer and that probably took his glory away....had he left after only 6 or 7 seasons he'd be like another Orr...always revered and legendary because of what he did in the short time and what HE COULD have done had he played longer (ie. just like Orr).

My 2 cents
I can tell you from play hockey before and after a major injury, your playing style changes after you are back on the ice from having a major injury. its something psychological that takes place and you don't want to go in to certain situations where your going to get injured again.
I sort of feel sorry for Marshmallow Head™..

Hopefully his next job will be a bit easier on the noggin. On the bright side, it wasn't like he didn't accomplish anything... he had a good run.
C'mon.

Like you guys didn't feel for him when he was making his speech when he won the Hart Trophy and thanked the Flyers fans.

The guy is all class....his mom is the baloon knot.

I think had had he stayed healthy, we were looking at another Lemeiux for sure.

Not to mention, he was one of the ONLY guys I ever saw give his own team s*** on the ise after a poor play.

Was he HHOF material? sure. he averaged more than a point a game, won a hart trophey and made an appearance in the finals (whom he carried the whole team to.)

I was excited when the Leafs signed him....I only wished he could have stuck around longer.

ANTHONYD,Nov 9 2007, 10:20 AM Wrote:C'mon.

The guy is all class....
[right][snapback]252501[/snapback][/right]

Didn't he spit beer in some woman's face and tell her he's going to make more money in one year than she will in her entire life??? All class my ass. <_<

I'll admit that at the top of his game he was unstoppable, but off the ice he had an auroa of entitlement that IMO he never earned or deserved. Even before he was drafted he started dictating which teams he would play for and which teams he wouldn't. What ever gave him that right?
SVT ZX3,Nov 9 2007, 11:34 AM Wrote:

The guy is all class....

Didn't he spit beer in some woman's face and tell her he's going to make more money in one year than she will in her entire life??? All class my ass. <_<

I'll admit that at the top of his game he was unstoppable, but off the ice he had an auroa of entitlement that IMO he never earned or deserved. Even before he was drafted he started dictating which teams he would play for and which teams he wouldn't. What ever gave him that right?
[right][snapback]252502[/snapback][/right]

I didn't say anything about class off the ice.

I mean for gawds sakes, he used to boot aound Lake Joseph in a black and orange Scarrab boat named "know respect"

Everyone knew he was an idiot off the ice.
ANTHONYD,Nov 9 2007, 12:38 PM Wrote:
SVT ZX3,Nov 9 2007, 11:34 AM Wrote:

The guy is all class....

[right][snapback]252502[/snapback][/right]

I didn't say anything about class off the ice.

I mean for gawds sakes, he used to boot aound Lake Joseph in a black and orange Scarrab boat named "know respect"

Everyone knew he was an idiot off the ice.
[right][snapback]252505[/snapback][/right]

Alright, I guess I misunderstood your original statement.

That's the first I've heard about his boat LOL. What a fu@king tool.
If he gets in the Hall of Fame, does his mommy and daddy get a spot too?
Yeah Eric Lindros, the man who said that he would never play for the Nordiques.

Yup, he's a douche in my books. :lol:
99.9% of hockey players are douches, just like about 1/2 the firemen out there, imo.
I think we don't really know everything and the whole truth except what was reported to us through the media. It's amazing how we can pass judgment so easily on someone we don't even know personally except whatever the media spun and fabricated or embelished to sensationalize the story and garner more interest.

If any one of you had your life under a microscope, believe me, not a single one of you would have CLASS...we'd all be called "douches" including myself.

We don't know what it's like to have everyone watch and criticize our lives 24/7. If anyone here is not a sinner, let him cast the first stone.
Heh...if you watched Coach's Corner tonight and heard what Don Cherry said about Big E. I rest my case.
I think the best thing he ever did was not go to Quebec who the fawk wants poutine anyhow

1.4 points a game thats more then the whole first line of the leafs avg this year LOL

He will go in to HHOF no question
DD1,Nov 12 2007, 06:52 PM Wrote:I think the best thing he ever did was not go to Quebec who the fawk wants poutine anyhow

1.4 points a game thats more then the whole first line of the leafs avg this year LOL

He will go in to HHOF no question
[right][snapback]252643[/snapback][/right]

FTW!