FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Just Stops When On Newtral ...just Great!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Engine just sotps when on newtral. That's just great when you're still driving. It happend to me a few times before but now it's every day.

I have also mentioned that sometimes it shuts down and only Batt light is on but sometimes all lights are on like a christmass tree.

Battery is old but starts a car great and plays radio with headlights on and engine off with no problem (that's my load test:). Connectors are clean...

Anybody knows what it could be?
Thanks.

i have this problem....not as often though

i've been told its DPFE sensor........to replace its costs about $150
NikiterZTS,Nov 7 2007, 09:32 PM Wrote:i have this problem....not as often though

i've been told its DPFE sensor........to replace its costs about $150
[right][snapback]252380[/snapback][/right]

Might even be a recal on it.
Its time to have the battery tested though.
Could be your alternator starting to go. Before it dies, does it idle really rough?
ya, my focus did that when my alternator was going .. on mine, it turned out to be the wiring going into the alternator that was broken and causing it to overcharge and idle really rough and actually stall the car when you stop at a light
oldeguy,Nov 8 2007, 12:10 AM Wrote:Could be your alternator starting to go. Before it dies, does it idle really rough?
[right][snapback]252391[/snapback][/right]
It works perfectly fine and then just dies. Last time it happened on the 401 and it really scared me.
I'll pay more attention on the behaviour now.

Do you know who’ll be capable to correctly troubleshoot this issue? 02 SVTF
Gents, does SVTF actually have DPFE and EGR system?
sounds like it could be 2 issues.

I had the same symptoms when I have my Auto focus when the revs were to low in a high gear the car would chug out and then die.. the recall on the fuel filter was that issue.

the other could be related to the battery termnial recal, it was known to do the similar systoms including giving false readings of everything being ok.
Before you start replacing anything, check your belt and tensioner.

If that's OK most Partsource/Crappy Tires can test the alternator still in the car, often for free.

That's a start.
Thanks for suggestions!

Fuel filter was replaced along with fricken flywheel and clutch a week ago. I do also have TPS sensor ready in my trunk with some pipes to fix coolant leakage. Will add battery terminals to the list just to be safe.
Generally, I've got enough things failed on me in 4 month having this car in my family. Wondering if it's going to continue the same...
this used to happen to me when approaching a stop. i started gearing down and waited to the last minute to press the clutch and the problem went away by itself. I never had the problem come back.
It's getting even better than I could imagine :)
svt_rodg,Nov 8 2007, 06:05 PM Wrote:this used to happen to me when approaching a stop.  i started gearing down and waited to the last minute to press the clutch and the problem went away by itself.  I never had the problem come back.
[right][snapback]252462[/snapback][/right]

Ditto
Got all power wires I could reach tightened and their connectors cleaned.
Tons of bad connections.. Especially crappy engine ground..
Seemed to help as no sudden stalls for 2 days so far.

Consider changing most of ground wires and battery terminals as they suck.
Check your tensioner they tend to seize around 150 K this puts stres on your alternator and will wear it out prematurely... the bad ground issue makes your alternator work twice as hard also... bad ground+bad tensioner= dead alternator
The symptoms started coming back a few times a day and exclusively on the highway!
2 partsourse stores were unable to properly test my alternator in the car so I've finally got pissed with all this crap and changed the damn alternator.
Here we go - just stalled on the ramp again.
I assume it was something else, and yes, I do have good original alternator FOR SALE now.