FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Good Or Bad What Do You Think Of This?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
linky.

So not since Aug. 21, 1957 has our dollar been this high... not to mention it's also gain ground on the Euro ( €1 = $1.38 ) & British Pound ( £1 = $1.95 )
The only way it will be good for us is if we can start paying the same and less than our south friends at the register!
I'm curently shopping for an HDTV, but will wait and see what happens.
The same TV that is ie: 2,500 US is 3,800 Cnd!!! No thanks!
And don't get me started with the cars. As everyone here knows that my gf and I are wanting to get a mini-van/cuv ... if only the prices could drop to the same as the US price, and less, then we might have a chance to afford something better than a used one!

I know our exporting is suffering from this though. There is a pulp and paper mill here that is one of the main employer and if it shuts down, my region will be deaply affected!
Gravter,Nov 1 2007, 07:52 AM Wrote:I know our exporting is suffering from this though.  There is a pulp and paper mill here that is one of the main employer and if it shuts down, my region will be deaply affected!
[right][snapback]252063[/snapback][/right]

tell me about it.. I know a couple people in BC that have been laid off due to the decrease in demand.

I think our high dollar is going to kill us -- the US is such a huge trading partner, and we're going to end up losing a lot of that trade.

Even where I sit, I get a lot of my work because canadian labour is 1/3rd that of the US (and India is 1/5th of that, but they have to do the work 3 times over)... so we're starting to lose our edge in the global resourcing business... and that has me a bit worried.
yeah this is definitely not good for us especially the super high prices we're paying for goods.

I cant believe our government still hasn't done a single thing about the high prices.
^ well, they are trying, apparently : CLICK ME

Wal-Mart is selling magazines and such at US indicated prices instead of the higher Canadian marked price as of today.
our dollar is the best around 85 cents its a win win for everybody
A large part of the increase in the dollars value has to do with the fact that we are an exporter of oil and oil is in such high demand (with no signs of slowing down)

Couple that with the US economic slowdown and you have a great recipe for a run up on the CDN $

As for retailers refusing to adjust prices to reflect the new reality, if they refuse, I simply won't shop there and tell them why as I leave <_<

NefCanuck
Ill pay the price, as long as the goods are made in Canada.
I work in the precious metals mining and it couldn't be better for us. High commodities pricing and high dollar is great since we report in CAD.
some good news if you can call it that, Chrysler lowered their prices lower then the American prices with new incentives, and I heard some larger retailers are doing the same like Ikea, & wal-mart.