FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Chrysler Dumps Some Of It's Model Line Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chrysler scraps Dodge Magnum, Pacifica, Crossfire coupe, PT Cruiser cabrio
10/31/07
source: leftlane news.

Chrysler's new board of directors has voted to discontinue the Pacifica crossover, the coupe version of the Crossfire, the PT Cruiser convertible, and the Dodge Magnum wagon, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The vote is believed to have taken place yesterday (Tuesday), but the official announcement won't come until tomorrow (Thursday), the newspaper said, citing company sources.

The new Dodge Journey crossover will fill the gap left by the Magnum, while the Crossfire and Pacifica will be eliminated with no direct successors. The PT Cruiser hardtop will remain in production, but the convertible version will be eliminated.

The report indicated the Crossfire coupe would be discontinued, but various media reports have indicated the roadster version will also be scrapped to do extremely weak sales.

Watch for more details in the coming days.
OK, everything else I understand but The Magnum is getting axed? I see a ton of those on the road, mostly the 6's but still they seem to be a popular selling car.
Eliminate the Magnum, those that need something along the lines of a wagon will purchase the Soccer Mom vans, or a SUV/CUV. It's a matter of cutting costs. Besides, it's a Chrysler,so who would want one?
Quote:[Update] Chrysler today confirmed rumors that it will discontinue the Dodge Magnum, the convertible Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler Pacifica and Chrysler Crossfire in 2008. In the same time frame, Chrysler will add the Dodge Journey, Dodge Challenger, Chrysler Aspen Hybrid, and Dodge Durango Hybrid to its portfolio. The company also announced as many as 10,000 job cuts.

"These actions reflect our new customer-driven philosophy and allow us to focus our resources on new, more profitable and appealing products," added Jim Press, Vice Chairman and President. "Further, these product actions are all in response to dealer requests."

Manufacturing reductions

Chrysler also said it would make volume-related reductions at several of its North American assembly and powertrain plants. Shifts will be eliminated at five North American assembly plants which, combined with other volume-related manufacturing actions, will lead to a reduction of 8,500-10,000 additional hourly jobs through 2008.

These "volume-related actions" are in addition to 13,000 jobs eliminated by the three-year Recovery and Transformation Plan (RTP) announced in February.

"We have to move now to adjust the way our company looks and acts to reflect a smaller market," added Tom LaSorda, Vice Chairman and President. "That means a cost base that is right-sized and an appropriate level of plant utilization."

Chrysler will eliminate shifts at five assembly plants, and take further volume-related actions at several other facilities. It will:

- Drop third-shift operations at Belvidere (Ill.) Assembly Plant in the first quarter 2008. Belvidere builds the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass.

- Drop second-shift operations at its Jefferson North Assembly Plant — which builds the builds the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander — in the first quarter 2008. It's expected that the plant will return to two shifts in first quarter 2010 with the introduction of new SUVs.

- Drop third-shift operations at the Toledo (Ohio) North Assembly Plant in the first quarter 2008. Toledo North builds the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro.

- Drop third-shift operations at Brampton (Ontario) Assembly Plant in first quarter 2008. Brampton will build the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger. The Dodge Magnum will be discontinued.

- Drop second shift operations at Sterling Heights (Mich.) Assembly Plant in first quarter 2008. Sterling Heights builds the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring sedans and Chrysler Sebring Convertible.

- In addition, Mack Avenue (Detroit) Engine Plant II will return to a traditional two-shift / two-crew operation in the first quarter 2008 after operating on a three-crew, two-shift, 120-hour-per-week (3/2/120) schedule. Mack II builds the 3.7-liter V-6 engine.
To bad, I really like the magnum, the others....I could care less. :lol:
I was wondering when that Pacifica porker would get made into bacon bits... hell I still see dealers trying to unload brand new *2006* Pacificas...

But killing the PT convertible? Does it sell that badly in the US? Because I see a lot of them here... :huh:

NefCanuck
I'm sad to see the crossfire go, it was a nice little car. Too bad it had only 215hp, it should have been only as an SRT-6 with a manual gear box at the regular crossfire price.....The magnum was nice but the front was cheap looking. The rest bring out the axe, kill the bastard childs of chrysler.
Flofocus,Nov 1 2007, 12:39 PM Wrote:To bad, I really like the magnum, the others....I could care less.  :lol:
[right][snapback]252077[/snapback][/right]

I like the magnum as well... however, it being a man's wagon (I don't know of too many women who like them), it has limited appeal to the demographics that'd normally buy it.

I've driven my buddy's RT (to pick up the wheels for my mustang no less), and it feels like a minivan compared to the stang, but it's like driving a speedboat. It goes really fast, stops well enough, but it feels like you're on the open water when you go to turn... it has virtually ZERO road feel.

but still.. if I needed a car with a bit of space, the magnum was on the top of the list.