FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gran Tourismo 5 Prologue 1st Impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I finally got a bit of seat time with Gran Tourismo 5 Prologue for the PS3, and I have to admit, while it's impressive, it does have some shortcomings.

I have to admit, I'm a bit disappionted by it.... I was expecting something more. The AI is more appropriate of a bumper car simulator and cars still don't show damage and have the same basic physics model we've had since GT 1.

Definitely worth a download when you get a chance, but not the mind-blowing experience I was hoping for.

pros:
- Amazing car models -- featuring real-time, real-world reflections (ie, check out the garage with a non-red car to see what I mean).
- In-car cam is absolutely amazing (press 'select' to toggle between view modes)
- Menu sreen features amazing details that you can even zoom in on via the R1 button.
- Classic GT handling, and support for logitec racing wheels.

cons:
- more an evolution of the GT series than something that feels truly next-gen - changes are nearly imperceptible until you use the incredible in-car view
- game experiences some minor slowdown with more than 5 cars clustered together at one time (AI slowdown?)
- AI still plays bumper cars
- Still no car damage
- HDR contrast pwns my standard def TV...makes complex tarmac turns hard to decypher visually. This is with the standard composite cable -- I switched back to the composite when my components were experiencing some colour banding issues with the TV (never had such a problem with the PS2 using the same cable).

[Image: IMG_3678.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3679.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3680.jpg]
You seriously need an HDTV Steve. :rolleyes:
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 23 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:You seriously need an HDTV Steve. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]251561[/snapback][/right]

haha.. I do, I do.. honestly, the JVC i'Art is very capable, just seems the PS3's HDR contrast is exacerbated by the color gamut limitations of composite video. The components were better, but there was some colour banding with my TV -- I will try the SVideo one later as it separates the luminance from the colour which makes a big difference.

I have no issues with the STD Def TV .. the image quality itself is top-notch, and I really want to wait until I can afford the HD TV that I want..
What TV are you hoping for?
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 23 2007, 11:17 AM Wrote:What TV are you hoping for?
[right][snapback]251563[/snapback][/right]

LED backlit TVs will be coming out at decent pricepoints next year... tho right now a nice LCD direct view TV would be nice...

Tho, if I can't stand the colour banding of most LCD TVs, maybe I should get a plasma and pray I don't burn it in...

when weighing all the benefits and disadvantages of the various technologies, I just get to thinking that if I just waited a little it longer.....-- so I tend to hold tight with what i have.
darkpuppet,Oct 23 2007, 03:12 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 23 2007, 11:08 AM Wrote:You seriously need an HDTV Steve. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]251561[/snapback][/right]

haha.. I do, I do.. honestly, the JVC i'Art is very capable, just seems the PS3's HDR contrast is exacerbated by the color gamut limitations of composite video. The components were better, but there was some colour banding with my TV -- I will try the SVideo one later as it separates the luminance from the colour which makes a big difference.

I have no issues with the STD Def TV .. the image quality itself is top-notch, and I really want to wait until I can afford the HD TV that I want..
[right][snapback]251562[/snapback][/right]
I have the same TV as you do... I dont mind it.

On topic of the game though I still think Ill like Forza better
Forza has a lot going for it for sure -- I just never cared much for how the cars handled -- the controls never felt tight enough, like the cars all turned on their centers, not around their front wheels...
that does look pretty good.

btw, I pick up a nice Samsung 32" LCD for under a grand on the weekend. oh so worth it.
FocusGuy7476,Oct 23 2007, 12:15 PM Wrote:that does look pretty good.

btw, I pick up a nice Samsung 32" LCD for under a grand on the weekend. oh so worth it.
[right][snapback]251570[/snapback][/right]

DITTO but in december Samsung makes a hell of a hdtv!!
it's looks alright, but the one thing I've always hated about Gran Tourismo is the fact they they have crap loads of Japanese cars and European cars and far & few American cars we're used too, not to mention the usually most of the American content wise is dated..
Pro... jec... wait for it... tor. :P

I wish I had the extra to spend right now on a PS3 (well I could, but it wouldn't be responsible in light of my recent... *ahem* spending record :P ) so I could compare GT5 Prologue to GT4 in 1080i on my PS2.

Looks cool, Steveo. And I'll second LED backlit. So long as they have the tech right, you can't argue with a lighting source that can't really burn out :D
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 23 2007, 03:05 PM Wrote:Pro... jec... wait for it... tor. :P

I wish I had the extra to spend right now on a PS3 (well I could, but it wouldn't be responsible in light of my recent... *ahem* spending record :P ) so I could compare GT5 Prologue to GT4 in 1080i on my PS2.

Looks cool, Steveo. And I'll second LED backlit. So long as they have the tech right, you can't argue with a lighting source that can't really burn out :D
[right][snapback]251576[/snapback][/right]

I used to be all over projection -- until direct view LCDs started coming down in price -- they're just much brighter, and have slightly more accurate colour gamut (tho projectors aren't bad by any means)... but I'd be tempted to see what happens with some of the laser projection tech that should be coming out next year.

can you say 30ft HDTV screen projected by your cellphone?
I'll try grabbing the demo tonight and I'll see how it looks on my setup (50" Sony Grand Wega RP DLP)

I was a tad fuzzy on what choices to make when it came to the HDMI settings so I may have... issues :ph34r:

Thank god I'm still on unlimited bandwidth account :lol:

NefCanuck
Just remember that the prolog demo is available only from the Japanese store, so you'll have to create a second account in Japanese to download it..

full instructions here

Then it's the 1st selection in the japanese PSN store....

Of course, the game, other than lap times is all in Japanese, so you may want to download the regular GT HD demo from the Canadian PSN store to get a feel for the dialog boxes first.

btw.. you can add 'lightpuppet' to your friends list if you want to play with my japanese alter ego -- he doesn't come out often tho...
Heh, I downloaded the NA GT 5 demo... freakin' awesome looking but by the time I hit the AWD EVO I'm in over my head <_< Too tempting to just mash the gas with that thing, gotta try and curb that tendency...

How many cars are there to unlock in the NA demo anyhow?

(276HP in the hands of an idiot = Bad Plan)

NefCanuck
Frost__2001,Oct 23 2007, 01:55 PM Wrote:it's looks alright, but the one thing I've always hated about Gran Tourismo is the fact they they have crap loads of Japanese cars and European cars and far & few American cars we're used too, not to mention the usually most of the American content wise is dated..
[right][snapback]251575[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but the best American cars would be dog meat on the tracks that the GT series seems to favour (The twisty as hell stuff)

Hell, even the demo track in GT 5... I can't imagine taking it in even a modern Mustang without full nanny mode on (TCS & anti-spin) :ph34r:

NefCanuck