FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Scared The Crap Outta Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had this crazy bad oil leak and i gotta really freaked out it was leaving a 5-6 inch in diameter oil spill every morning...i looked under the foci and it everywhere all over my control arms...my flex...EVERYTHING...So im looking around troubleshooting the point of origin and went up and up to the head...I seriously thought i had my head gasket blow on me but it ended up that the filter seal was broken...and im sure when i did the oil change that I oiled it up good and im sure i didnt cross thred it and yes it was the right filter...anyone ever have this happen to them..scared the s*** right outta me... This may be the cause....the filter was made by FRAM...
2 things......

i saw you pulling into St Clair this morning....car looks good but you need to paint that kit

and more importantly.....

f*** fram!!! OEM filter FTW!!!

i had the same thing happen to me, scared the s*** outta me too...i had my car towed back the shop that did it (Canadian Tire in Aburg, i also work there) because i didnt know how bad the leak was. i had driven from amherstburg to windsor and my mom called me sayin there was oil in the driveway. checked under the hood and found the same thing as you. needless to say, i had no problem getting money for the tow and a fresh oil change. couldnt say whether the filter was overtightened or if it was a manufacture defect. they said the filter came off fairly easy so im leaning towards defect.

it wasnt the seal that leaked, if you still have the filter, check where the canister meets the mounting plate and you will probly find a hole/defect that caused the problem

stop trying to cut costs with the oil filters guys.. get the OEM filter.. or if you must get an 'aftermarket' filter at least get something good like a purolator pure one
similar thing had happen to me years ago, but it was my fault. The old gasket was not removed when i did my oil change. so when i started the car oil started pissing out everywhere.
Good thing no serious damage occurred :lol: Just a mess, though. Make sure you let Fram know that their product screwed up. I used Fram filters a few times without problems though. Maybe I got lucky ( for a change )
ZX5focused,Oct 22 2007, 09:43 PM Wrote:2 things......

i saw you pulling into St Clair this morning....car looks good but you need to paint that kit

and more importantly.....

f*** fram!!! OEM filter FTW!!!

i had the same thing happen to me, scared the s*** outta me too...i had my car towed back the shop that did it (Canadian Tire in Aburg, i also work there) because i didnt know how bad the leak was. i had driven from amherstburg to windsor and my mom called me sayin there was oil in the driveway.  checked under the hood and found the same thing as you.  needless to say, i had no problem getting money for the tow and a fresh oil change.  couldnt say whether the filter was overtightened or if it was a manufacture defect. they said the filter came off fairly easy so im leaning towards defect.

it wasnt the seal that leaked, if you still have the filter, check where the canister meets the mounting plate and you will probly find a hole/defect that caused the problem
[right][snapback]251548[/snapback][/right]

appreciate the comment i know the kit need paint but i dont really wanna do it till spring...yeah well i have a friend who works @ crappytire and he gave me the filter for free...free filter but its now gonna cost me cuz i gotta clean up all the oil up off the driveway...so lookign forward to that...But thanks for compliment power im really not a fan of the what i like to call, "two-tone" either...
could have been worse, could have been leaking from the top of the engine like some focus engines used to do.
i had good luck with the following process to remove oil..

1) pouring a whole bunch of liquid soap like dishwasher or laundry detergent over the spill and then scrub it in and let it sit..
2) pouring some carbonated seltzer water over it and then scrubbing some more
3) pour some non clumping cheapo clay cat litter over the whole mess and letting it absorb the oily water and then sweeping it up

you'll probably have to repeat this process a bunch of times but you should be able to get most of the oil out... the liquid soap and seltzer water bring the oil to the surface and the cat litter lets you mop it up

good luck